Something new for my speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Something new for my speakers

Grandpaw
04-30-2007, 10:51 AM
I had these made out of granite in the same shape as my speakers. This will keep the feet on the speakers from marking up or indenting the floor and I think they look good also. See pictures below, Jeff

topspeed
04-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Looks Great! Very nice indeed!

JohnMichael
04-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Very nice and great idea.

Rock789
04-30-2007, 01:41 PM
sharp dude!

PeruvianSkies
04-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Not only is that a good idea for the aethetic reasons, but I be there is also an increase in the performance on the speakers. I noticed on speaker when I changed the feet from rubber to the spikes that the speakers were far more solid in their performance. The spikes keep the speakers elevated on top of the carpet and I am also considering getting something made, maybe granite, to keep them up on. Great work!

Grandpaw
04-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the comments.........

Here is another picture of my speakers with the granite under them. I think it makes them look elegant. The picture having to have the file size cut down so much just doesn't do them justice.

If any of you are considering doing this I think they look much better having the granite cut 2inches bigger than the speaker all the way around as opposed to being the same size as the speaker.

I guess you could get somewhat the same effect using wood but these you can see yourself in them they shine so much, Jeff

gjpham
05-01-2007, 01:08 AM
How much will it cost me for both?

basite
05-01-2007, 01:12 AM
very good looking :)
congrats!

and that's a nice cat you got there :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Worf101
05-01-2007, 03:31 AM
Who said you can't teach an old dog.... how to improve Home Audio? Congrats, lookin' goooood.

Da Worfster

Grandpaw
05-01-2007, 04:31 AM
How much will it cost me for both?

I'm not interested in selling them!!! ROTFLMAO

When I got the price to put the granite counter top in my kitchen I then ask for them to add these for the same price and they did at no additional charge. What they did was made them out of a scrap piece of black from someone else's job. They can leave it setting around taking up space or if you find something you like charge you to make them and recover some of their money on the small piece they had left over. Best thing you could do is trace a template of the bottom of your speaker and drop by an ask, the answer will cost you nothing, Jeff

Rich-n-Texas
05-01-2007, 04:57 AM
Grandaw, they do look good, and I don't want to detract from the focus of your thread but can you explain to me the center channel arrangement? It's not real clear to me how you mounted it above/to your TV. I have a DLP rear projection but right now my CC is on a shelf inside the TV stand which is a no-no. Thanks. -Rich

Grandpaw
05-01-2007, 05:47 AM
Grandaw, they do look good, and I don't want to detract from the focus of your thread but can you explain to me the center channel arrangement? It's not real clear to me how you mounted it above/to your TV. I have a DLP rear projection but right now my CC is on a shelf inside the TV stand which is a no-no. Thanks. -Rich

My center is very large but the top of my TV is even larger yet so I have no problem at all. I plan on getting a plasma or DLP later and the center will be on a shelf above the TV when my stereo closet is finished, Jeff

Rich-n-Texas
05-01-2007, 06:17 AM
Thanks. My TV is 17" deep, and about three inches separate the TV stand from the wall so a shelf that's ~21" deep mounted on the wall just wouldn't look right to me.

spf
05-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Thanks. My TV is 17" deep, and about three inches separate the TV stand from the wall so a shelf that's ~21" deep mounted on the wall just wouldn't look right to me.

Hey Rich,

An adjustable center channel shelf would be a good solution for putting a center channel above the microdisplay TVs. My retailer provided me with one for my SXRD and it works nicely. It simply uses rubber feet attached to long bolts which are adjustable. These bolts are attached to the foam covered metal shelf which lays flat on the top of your TV and is only 15" deep. I couldn't find a web site showing mine in particular (And have no digital camera .... D'oh) but I'm sure Sanus or another A/V furniture manufacturer would have them. Cheers!

Shane

Bingo
05-02-2007, 11:40 AM
I just want everybody to know that I was in that very room where Grandpaw has his home theater set up...and it is very very nice! When I was there he had not yet gotten the granite slabs for his speakers so on my next visit there I will take a really good look. They do look fine in the pictures...and I want all you guys to know that the sound Grandpaw gets from his Infinity speakers is superb! Top Notch! I think his room is accoustically compatible.....or something like that. Bingo

Antonio Machado
05-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Congratulations, amigo Grandpaw ! they look very well, same color of the speakers, same form and a bit wider than the foothprint of the speakers but a bit wider. I have my Australian Ambience superslim 1800se Ribbon/hybrid speakers over a very complex and interesting isolation multiple base, since I have them in a suspended wood floor. begining rom the very thick carpet first I have a 1 1/2" thick marble platform just like yours, then an Auralex Granma Subdue (from www.sweetwater.com) then a set of four Megamounts (from www.mapleshaderecords.com), then a 4" thick maple shade platform and finally a set of four Megamounts screwed at the buttom of the speakers. The effect is terrific, I know it is a bit complicated (and expensive) but after ten years trying so many configurations, this is the best way to get the most from my Ribbon Speakers. Clarity, plenty of inner detail, increased soundstage, tremendous improvement in the midrange, etc. Best, Antonio Machado.