Which Yamaha receiver offers the best value? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which Yamaha receiver offers the best value?

kexodusc
02-19-2004, 06:57 AM
A friend of mine needs to know which Yamaha receiver offers the best value. He's looking for at least a 6.1 with 85 watts/channel (don't know why, but that's what his current unit has, doesn't want to "downgrade" I guess).

I suggested the RX-V1400 because I'm in love with it and intend to get it quite soon.
But I'm not 100% sure it's the best value in Yamaha's receiver line?
What do you guys think?

JSE
02-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Definitely the 1400 is the best value from Yamaha. It's probably one of the best values is all A/V receivers under $1500. Of course "Best Value" is relative. Some People think a high dollar Krell amp is a best value in it's class.

JSE

kexodusc
02-19-2004, 08:27 AM
JSE: Let me ask you this...what "real" advantage does the RX-V1400 have over, say, the RX-V740?
I guess this question is going to be impossible to answer.
I tried explaining the extra power, YPAO and the 7th channel.
His replies were, "I can calibrate the system with my sound meter, there's only 6 discrete channels anyway, and 110 watts vs. 90 watts is hardly a deal breaker."
I can see his point.
This made me question whether I really need to sell my RX-V795a receiver for the 1400 or whether I've just got "the bug" we tend to get in this hobby.
I want to upgrade my pre-amp and amplifier, too...Why? Because I have a tax refund coming and $$$ to blow :(

JSE
02-19-2004, 08:57 AM
JSE: Let me ask you this...what "real" advantage does the RX-V1400 have over, say, the RX-V740?
His replies were, "I can calibrate the system with my sound meter, there's only 6 discrete channels anyway, and 110 watts vs. 90 watts is hardly a deal breaker."
I can see his point.
This made me question whether I really need to sell my RX-V795a receiver for the 1400 or whether I've just got "the bug" we tend to get in this hobby.
I want to upgrade my pre-amp and amplifier, too...Why? Because I have a tax refund coming and $$$ to blow :(

Well, for your friend maybe the RX-V740 would be fine then. Is the 740 THX certified? Not an issue for me, but maybe for your friend.

For most people, the 1400 is a much better value. Most people don't want or can't calibrate their system themselves. This alone makes it a bes value. The option to go 7.1 is also a factor for some. I only run a 5.1 system now bit the option is there. I will probably go 6.1 in the near future.

Dollar for Dollar, Feature for Feature, the RX-V1400 juts offers more than any other receivers out there right now.

JSE

Evan
02-19-2004, 10:08 AM
I would suggest the RX-V740, unless the extra money is no big deal go with the 1400. I think the 740 has everything you need.
I recently purchased a MarantzSR5300(it's great) but if I had to do it over I would get me a 740. ;)

Woochifer
02-19-2004, 11:28 AM
I would second the RX-V1400. The RX-V740 is the highest model in Yamaha's entry level chassis, whereas the 1400 is the lowest model in Yamaha's midlevel chassis. In general, the interior spacing between components is more generous in the midlevel models, with higher capacity components in the power supply and generally more rugged build quality. You have less potential for interference, and better heat dissipation.

The THX certification in the 1400 doesn't really mean much, but the YPAO is a pretty significant feature because its parametric equalizing functionality covers the full frequency range (I believe down to around 60 Hz) on all channels. With most AV receivers, you cannot use any kind of external equalizer, so this isn't something that can be duplicated with the 740. Room acoustics along with the speakers are by far the biggest variables in an audio system, and the YPAO directly addresses this type of variation. I can tell you first hand from equalizing my subwoofer that parametric EQ makes a huge improvement, and it typically has a steep learning curve with a significant time commitment. The YPAO can do this automatically in a matter of minutes.

The YPAO along with the more durable build on the 1400 to me are the biggest factors in its favor.

zapr
02-19-2004, 01:12 PM
I can see his point.
Kexodusc..........If you have the rxv795a, why would you be running a pre-amp? I can see using a amp but why the pre-amp? Also I think the 1400 is the best bang for the buck in terms of features and quaility of sound. The 1400 is warmer sounding than the 795a. I would opt. for the 1400 and be done with it........Zapr.

kexodusc
02-20-2004, 04:59 AM
Kexodusc..........If you have the rxv795a, why would you be running a pre-amp? I can see using a amp but why the pre-amp? Also I think the 1400 is the best bang for the buck in terms of features and quaility of sound. The 1400 is warmer sounding than the 795a. I would opt. for the 1400 and be done with it........Zapr.
Zapr, two separate rooms in the house.
Our main living room upstairs has the HT in it.
I also have my "studio" downstairs where my drums, cello, guitars, amps, loudspeakers etc are...I have an older NAD system down there with the amp/pre-amp. I find is slightly more detailed than my Yamaha, but it's only 2 channel...I use to play along with some music when trying to learn new songs or composing my parts over my band mates recorded tracks. Nothing fancy, it's a converted wine-cellar or freezer room, about 20X16, but we don't have any kids....I dropped some wood laminate on it and some cheap area rugs from Wal-Mart and it suits me just fine. it's my sanctuary, all my male friends are jealous. Best part, the fiancee's not allowed in there...now if I could just figure out how to sound proof it for cheap.

I've got just about everybody vouching for the 1400...but Woochifer seems to provide me with the most ammo. Bottom of a higher product line, more interior space, and sub calibration....I'll shoot back with those and see how far I get.

Thanks to all who replied so far!

spacedeckman
02-20-2004, 08:06 AM
Overall, I would have to give the 1400 the nod like everyone else here. Beefier power supply, output section, YPAO (Your buddy CANNOT do what that thing does, nor approach it without some heavy duty, spelled expensive, equipment and experience). Compared to a 1400, a 740 is a Tinker Toy (I may be dating myself here).

Best value on the cheap, the 540. Digital ins...and an out, SVideo, SVideo upconversion, and a solid little amp. What else do you want for $400?

Me, like the others would choose the 1400. It is the first of the "real" Yamahas, although the others are very nice. For a couple of hundred bucks, it's hard NOT to justify the 1400 over the 740. I just can't get myself to recommend the 740 even though it is a nice piece.

kexodusc
02-20-2004, 10:18 AM
Okay, my fickle friend, (audiophile without the computer) we'll call him Andrew Mason of Bangor, wants to know if there is a receiver out there that you would put on par with the RX-V1400 that is within $50 pricewise?
To my knowledge there are no other YPAO equivalent features readily available YET (but coming soon).
I've always been a Marantz man myself, but he thinks my old Marantz receiver sucks, and doesn't belive my praise of the Yammie...1400.
Perhaps there's a comparable Denon, Onkyo, or H/K out there?

Man, I should get a commission for this.

JSE
02-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Okay, my fickle friend, (audiophile without the computer) we'll call him Andrew Mason of Bangor, wants to know if there is a receiver out there that you would put on par with the RX-V1400 that is within $50 pricewise?
To my knowledge there are no other YPAO equivalent features readily available YET (but coming soon).
I've always been a Marantz man myself, but he thinks my old Marantz receiver sucks, and doesn't belive my praise of the Yammie...1400.
Perhaps there's a comparable Denon, Onkyo, or H/K out there?

Man, I should get a commission for this.

The only other receiver that I know of that has something similiar to YPAO is Pioneer. The feature on Pioneer starts with an "M". Can't remember the name. From the little I have read, it does not seem to do as good a job as YPAO.

Within $50 pricewise or even $500? I don't think there is something comparable to the Yammy feature for feature. ( except the 2400 of course) There are some very good receivers in that price range but none that have all the feautres of the Yamaha 1400. The Denon 2803 is a great receiver but again, feature for feature, it loses to the 1400. That being said, I think your friend would happy with any receiver in this price range from Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, H/K or Marantz. Ok scratch Marantz, he said he did not like them. He just needs to listen to them and choose.

JSE

kexodusc
02-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Yesterday he ended up going with a left over RX-V2300 for $525.
I can't really argue with that.