Let's talk about Amy Winehouse [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Amy Winehouse

Rae
04-28-2007, 10:59 AM
A co-worker finally coerced me into listening to Back in Black, and I've pretty much fallen for it. I searched through some of the archives to see if anyone here has been talking about her, and I was surprised to find that aside from Mike from the UK, no one has really mentioned her. Darius, are you out there? This is pop music at its delirious height-- smart, popular, populist, personal, fresh, and oh yeah, incredibly catchy.

First, let me dispense with some of my initial hangups about her before I actually listened to the record-- a great deal of the hype around her has centered around her boozy, brassy personality and public travails. I think that the ooh-pop-music-with-swears-a-la-James-Blunt angle has been played up a little too much; the record is very personal and I just don't think she feels the need to censor herself. The other thing that I had a hard time getting over is the sound itself-- is it really possible that a white Jewish girl from the UK can sing like this? There was a time when I dismissed a lot of British hip-hop and R&B out of hand (rap seemed like a uniquely American art form, and the version from across the pond tended to lose the grittiness and internal conflict that lends a lot of rap its profundity for me and play up the dancy side while adding irritating electronica elements, although my mind has been changed a little recently by acts like the Streets or Dizzee Rascal). Still, this doesn't really sound British at all (thankfully; I think we've all been exposed to Joss Stone), which seems to open it up for criticism that she's putting on an act. Anyway, after spending some time with the record, I think it's pretty "authentic," whatever you want that to mean. I've read that she has an extensive background in jazz and she probably grew up at a time where she internalized a lot of the mid-90s neo-soul that this evokes. Maybe we live in an era where all these borders are blurred anyway. What is authenticity? Does anyone with a particular ethnic makeup have a stronger claim to a particular style? Anyway, I digress. Let me talk about the album, because it's a stunner.

"Rehab" kicks off the record with no warning and takes no prisoners-- the first thing you hear is Amy's voice issuing an indictment of former music business "friends" not unlike the opening salvo of "Lost Ones" on Lauryn Hill's first solo record. In fact, the comparisons to Lauryn are inevitable throughout-- her voice bears enough similarity to the former Fugee that it's hard not to almost picture Lauryn singing some of these songs. Granted, Lauryn is usually poetic even when she's personal and has a penchant for lyrical wordplay that Amy mostly eschews in favor of frank directness, but they cover a lot of the same thematic ground as well. Amy is quick to let anyone within earshot know that she's about to play this game on her own terms; the song chronicles a dispute with the label that initially broke her into the public consciousness with her 2004 debut and then hemmed and hawed about her tabloid-ready escapades before finally suggesting that she check into rehab for her alcohol abuse, to which she promptly responded by dropping the label. This is the album's first single and in some ways I think that sequencing it as the first track is meant to be a mission statement, but it's actually a bit of a paper tiger as she spends the rest of the album wrestling with self-doubt, turbulent relationships, and yes, her sometimes problematic love affair with the bottle. She spends a lot of time admonishing her on-again-off-again lover with a sharp tongue in songs like "You Know I'm No Good" and "Me and Mr. Jones" (in which she spits "what kind of ****ery is this?/ you made me miss the Slick Rick gig") but just as often admits her real vulnerability (as in the affecting title track, where she bemoans "we only said goodbye with words/ I died a hundred times/ you go back to her/ and I go back to black"). Overall, the album clocks in at 10 tracks and about forty minutes without a single misstep.

I really appreciate her intelligent, multidimensional lyrical style (not unlike one of my other recent pop favorites, Nellie McKay), and the synthesis of old soul and girl-group sounds with modern pop touches is amazing. I don't think I've heard anything quite like this; even if it does owe a considerable debt to some of its influences, it's mashed up in a very agreeable way. You can say what you want about the novelty of it, but one listen to "Tears Dry On Their Own" should prove that there's miles of depth beneath the catchy surface.

Anyway, you guys don't have to read through all my ramblings on this, but at least do yourself a favor and check her out. This is good stuff.

~Rae

EDIT: Here's a YouTube video of "Tears Dry On Their Own" if you aren't inclined to go all the way to the record store on this one.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/701q09K5uOI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/701q09K5uOI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Thanks, Davey. ;-)

Davey
04-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Davey, how do you make these embed directly in the post?
At this site they have html enabled,so you just copy the html code they provide at youtube for embedding the video and paste it into your post.

I've listened to a few of her songs, and she does have a lot to offer, but just never moved me all that much. I tend toward the more PJ Harvey leaning singers like Carina Round, and Eleni Mandell, and Rykarda Parasol. Lots of others. Man, she's gotten skinny lately too, huh? Probably be near invisible without all the tats and makeup. But yeah, no shame in liking Amy. Seems to put on a good show, and got some nice backup.

PeruvianSkies
04-28-2007, 04:41 PM
I kinda like her version of "Beat It" with Church and VALERIE, which is a Zutons song I really like.

Stone
04-29-2007, 09:53 AM
I like her.

MindGoneHaywire
04-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Me too.

Mike
04-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Wow what an insightful eloquent review Rae. Yeah I'm suprised she doesn't get much of a mention round here, though any artist who gets over hyped makes genuine music fans wary. The latest album is a change of style from the debut which dabbled more in Jazz and hip hop. Like you say it grabs you from the first track and never lets go, with a lovely 60s production retro sound it's a killer.

And yer dead right about English artists doing rap, most of it is truly cringeworthy.

Cheers
Mike

nobody
04-30-2007, 07:41 AM
I first heard Amy Winehouse on her debut from Mike, and I liked it but it didn't blow me away. Seemed a bit polite, really. This one sounds much better to me. Maybe it's just a set of influences I like more, not really sure. But, I like this follow-up quite a bit. I don't know if she or some producer is responsible for the music backing here, but they did nail that southern soul sound of the 60s, complete with horns.

I think she doesn't get so much attention around here because this board is north american centric, and she seems to be a much bigger deal across the ocean.

And, if y'all think english rap is bad, last time I was in London, while walking through Picadilly Circus I saw some street performer doing a version of Hotel California with a heavy accent that had a whole group of us rolling.

I actually welcome an English presence in r&b and hip hop just bacuse most of what's getting rolled out in the US isn't really floating my boat so much lately. New ideas and new perspectives getting into the mix could be a good thing.

MindGoneHaywire
05-05-2007, 11:42 PM
I won't embed this since it's profane, but I will ask: what's not to like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TPh1R473eo

PeruvianSkies
05-06-2007, 08:38 PM
I am too lazy to do a search for this, so I'll ask here instead...does anyone know if she has a tour scheduled and if so, what are the dates/places?

MindGoneHaywire
05-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I read a review of a show in Philly the other night, very positive. That's where I found that link, and there are others from her show at Bayswater, whatever that is. Also there's covers of Toots/Maytals/Specials' Monkey Man with Jools Holland, and a reasonably decent reading of I Heard It Through The Grapevine with Paul Weller.

I took a look on Stubhub and there are a few shows coming up in the next week or two. She's here in NYC on Tuesday. Two listings: one was $278 a ticket, the other well over $300. I'm big on this album, and I purchased it on iTunes, but that's a little rich for my blood, at least on short notice. That said, I'd gladly pay a premium on Stubhub to avoid polluting my browser with the rendering of any Ticketmaster page, but that's just plain out of my budget. I think it's at a fairly small venue in a trendy section of Chelsea, which probably has something to do with it, but still...I can groove almighty to the rec, which has been knockin' me & the Mrs. out consistently for days now.

Album of the year so far, bar none.

PeruvianSkies
05-06-2007, 08:51 PM
I read a review of a show in Philly the other night, very positive. That's where I found that link, and there are others from her show at Bayswater, whatever that is. Also there's covers of Toots/Maytals/Specials' Monkey Man with Jools Holland, and a reasonably decent reading of I Heard It Through The Grapevine with Paul Weller.

I took a look on Stubhub and there are a few shows coming up in the next week or two. She's here in NYC on Tuesday. Two listings: one was $278 a ticket, the other well over $300. I'm big on this album, and I purchased it on iTunes, but that's a little rich for my blood, at least on short notice. That said, I'd gladly pay a premium on Stubhub to avoid polluting my browser with the rendering of any Ticketmaster page, but that's just plain out of my budget. I think it's at a fairly small venue in a trendy section of Chelsea, which probably has something to do with it, but still...I can groove almighty to the rec, which has been knockin' me & the Mrs. out consistently for days now.

Album of the year so far, bar none.

For $300/ticket Jimi Hendrix better be headlining with Janis Joplin and Jim Morrisson as opening acts. Also, better be front row w/ backstage pass and a signed Hendrix guitar after he burns it on stage.

MindGoneHaywire
05-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Sure, it's ridiculous. But I find it just a bit less ridiculous than similarly-priced tix so you can sit in an arena with 15 or 20 or 70,000 people to watch that Canadian band or that re-formed British band, you know? I do place value in General Admission in a place that only holds a few hundred people, and I've never seen all that much that I thought was good in a larger venue no matter who it was...well, maybe James Brown.

Bottom line, I wasn't going to pay more than $100 to see Brian Wilson & the Wondermints do SMiLE OR Pet Sounds at Carnegie Hall, so, much as I'm digging this rec, whoever's holding those tickets ain't gettin' MY money.

A double bill of Iggy & the Stooges & Bob Dylan, in a room that size, that might be enough, though. Or Green Day with the Rolling Stones. But not in a room that holds more than 1,000.

Rae
05-07-2007, 06:26 AM
Yeah, she just played here in Minneapolis and I thought about going (if for nothing else than to up the views of my "live music appreciation" thread ;-)), but I encountered a similar scenario... tickets were posted on Craigslist from $100 up to $400 (face value was $15). I did check out a few eBay auctions that seemed to mostly end around $65, so maybe that's what tickets were really going for, but still too much for me. Hopefully next time she'll play a theatre or something mid-sized before jumping right to a huge venue.

~Rae

nobody
05-07-2007, 08:28 AM
And I thought Social Distortion had a lot of nerve charging 25 bucks this past weekend.

No way I'd consider seeing anyone for that kinda money. Utterly ridiculous. And, while I like the new album, the girl's got only 2 records out. For that kinds money, I'd fully expect a blow job after the gig to come with it.

Also don't see how Stubhub's any better than Ticketmaster. Sure Ticketmaster makes a mint just for being a middleman and all that. But, Stubhub's basically just professional ticket scalpers taking even more outta your hide.

Rae
05-07-2007, 09:00 AM
For that kinds money, I'd fully expect a blow job after the gig to come with it.

Would it have to be from Mike Ness, or would any of the band members do?

~Rae

nobody
05-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Musically, I still prefer Ness to Amy Winehouse, but overpriced blow job wise, I think I'd hafta go with Amy.

MindGoneHaywire
05-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I can't disagree with that, but I will say I might just be more comfortable looking elsewhere--probably introducing someone into the discussion whose music doesn't interest me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=397803&in_page_id=1773&ICO=TV_SHOWBIZ&ICL=TOPART

compaqguy
05-09-2007, 07:46 AM
I bought her CD as soon as it was released, and have not regretted it. I listen to it constantly... and LOVE it.

The only beef I have with it is that the recording quality isn't too hot.

Rae
05-09-2007, 09:20 AM

Really? This is not something I'm all that attuned to, but it sounds good to me. I think it was even remastered once already between its British and stateside releases...

I listen to it constantly... and LOVE it.

I like that. I think I will make it a new catchphrase.

~Rae

compaqguy
05-09-2007, 09:38 AM
yeah, full of snaps and pops that shouldn't be there.

PeruvianSkies
05-09-2007, 02:53 PM
I bought her CD as soon as it was released, and have not regretted it. I listen to it constantly... and LOVE it.

I concur. It's a tad "thin" at times and could be a bit 'fuller' at other times. It's somewhat amateurish with this type of inconsistency between tracks. I was expected there to be more interesting things in the mix as well and for more band parts (like horns) to come through a bit more.

PeruvianSkies
05-10-2007, 09:33 PM
I decided to re-listen to this album a bit more carefully with a new perspective on it's recording....

I realized that the CD is meant to have an older analog-type of sound to it, in order to accomodate some of the material, which is straight-up-soul-singin'-of-the-60's. Her vocals are typically EQ'd and mixed in such a way that it even sounds like an older microphone with some static and various other techniques to give it a near-harsher and in-your-face type of effect, which works really great for the material. I also noticed (and I could be wrong), but I think this CD is in almost like a 2.0 mono (or at least some tracks). There doesn't appear to be anything coming from the left channel that is not identical in the right channel. Again, this could be my mistake and it only seems this way on certain tracks.

If anyone else wants to give this a careful listen that would be helpful to see if I am imagining this.

The thinner sound of some tracks isn't quite as bothersome as I had originally perceived, although it helps when playing it back at a slightly higher volume. I do notice a bit of muddy bass though, which again might be part of the 'effect' of sounding like an older thicker analog type of bass, but it suffers in this department. Other tracks (the ones that sound newer in nature) are better with the bass management, but it's a tricky album to listen to as track to track it varies alot.

Anyway that's my second perception w/ some careful listening....again I like this album and I liked it better w/ a second observation.

Swish
05-11-2007, 04:26 AM
yeah, full of snaps and pops that shouldn't be there.

...and it says "snap and pop free" on the cover. :smile5:

But seriously, after seeing those two performances linked above, I had to have this one, Parental Advisory and all.

Swish