Ohm MicroWalsh on-walls? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ohm MicroWalsh on-walls?

nightflier
04-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Now they say these are designed differently, but isn't the whole point of the Ohm tweeter design to be placed away from the walls?

http://www.ohmspeakers.com/

Feanor
04-28-2007, 03:21 AM
Now they say these are designed differently, but isn't the whole point of the Ohm tweeter design to be placed away from the walls?

I can only speculate, but perhaps with a quite small diameter, cylindrical source the doppler cancellation would affect a very small portion of the total sound produced.

The same question would apply to Mirage's Omnipolar speakers some of which are designed to be wall mounted. In their case, by design, they project more sound in one direction than the other which would make some difference.

flippo
04-28-2007, 05:01 AM
Exactly. I have my Omnisats wall mounted because of convenience and room size and I still get a very wide soundstage and depth.

nightflier
04-30-2007, 09:25 AM
I had the MicroWalsh in-house to audition for a few weeks and must say that placement was a pain in the you-know-what. The further I placed them from the corners, the better they sounded, but I live in SoCal where real-estate is uber-expensive, so all our rooms are tiny. I couldn't be moving furniture every time I wanted to put on a record - so off they went. Beautiful little speakers, but not very practical.

Now unless these on-wall speakers are designed differently, and it doesn't look like they are, this has got to be a problem; I haven't heard these but I can't imagine that this would work well. Another question I have is how high should they be hung? I know that may seem trivial, the the MicroWalsh I had were about the size of little 2' garden gnomes that were easy to hide (except when listening to them). Anyhow, it sounded to me that this was the height that they were designed for. If the on-walls use the same tweeter, I think the higher position would also be problematic.

Another issue is aesthetics: these speakers don't look like they should be on the wall - they look like floor-standers incorrectly hung on a wall; they might pass for 1950's wall sconces, but what does that go with? It's one thing to hide such a speaker in the corner and move it around as needed, but once they are on the wall they are in plain sight, probably at eye level. And that brings up another point: they also stick out from the wall quite a bit with sharp corners, too. Someone's going to bump their head eventually.

Anyhow, I think this is one place the Walsh technology will not work well both from an audible and from a practical perspective.

Resident Loser
04-30-2007, 09:43 AM

...according to the text, the wallmounts are for rear/surround apps...so, much like the old Allison's, if you have a fixed location (or models for specific locations) you can then design them for whatever constraints that location dictates...lessening the potential variables...

jimHJJ(...at least that's how it strikes me...)

nightflier
05-07-2007, 09:50 AM
I suppose if maggies can be redesigned to work on-wall, then I guess the ohms will too. I just have my doubts considering my experience with them