PDA

View Full Version : Life...just...keeps...gettin...better...pt2

3-LockBox
04-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Wife and kids are gone for a couple of days

gonna hole up with a bottle of whiskey

gonna listen to Marillion, Porky Tree, Pain Of Salvation, and Opeth

let the bitterness and suffering begin :17:

All seriouslessness aside, I am diggin that new PT, and I found my copy of Marillion:Marbles that had been misplaced for so long. Even made a dandy comp of Spock's Beard's last three albums. I'm also grooven to an old CD purchase (used) from Adrian Belew, called Here, which is a killer effort.

Nothin to do and all day to do it!

ForeverAutumn
04-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Mmmmm. Sounds like fun. My Hubby is out tonight and I've got the house to myself too. I was contemplating getting goofy on Cosmopolitans and throwing the Porky Tree DVD into the player.

Mr MidFi
04-27-2007, 01:51 PM
May I suggest Maker's Mark and Bass Ale chasers? Two great tastes that taste great together!

Definitely play that new PT to death, dude. And at the 11-minute mark on "Anaesthetize," when the double kick-drums start pounding, go for an extended chug. And think of us.

Davey
04-27-2007, 04:46 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AX0634YQL._SS500_.jpg

Cheer up, not everyone can afford a decent bottle of whiskey to drown out those Porcupine Tears :17:

Try some Blonde Redhead :14:

Dave_G
04-28-2007, 08:27 AM
The one good thing about being divorced is you get plenty of time alone to do whatever you want to...

But I do get lonely sometimes...

I'm in the market for some new headphones, I enjoy listening thru them some too.

Say, TLB, didja get the new Marillion yet?

Dave

Diego
04-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Say, TLB, didja get the new Marillion yet?

I'll comment. I like half the songs on the album but the production is a mess. It has the feel that it was rushed or they intentially made it sloppy and they did not go for the "perfect takes/overdubs" like their Dave Meegan produced albums. I'm disappointed but maybe it will grow on me with some more listens. Some of the drumming is very creative but mixed by an amatuer. :(

I've heard some live versions (from the convention in Holland) and many of these songs sound great live. Even the version of "Thankyou Whoever You Are" on youtube sounds so much better than on the CD.

Dave_G
04-28-2007, 09:05 AM
They are not anything like they used to be, at least to me. The last 3 or 4 studio albums pale in comparison to like Misplaced Childhood or Fugazi or Afraid of Sunlight or Season's End.

But that's just me.

HOWEVER

I do think Marbles on the Road dvd is very good, which features "new" music...

Dave

Diego
04-28-2007, 10:31 AM
I think their period from Misplaced Childhood through Afraid of Sunlight was their prime.

You can hear about half of the songs from Marillion-Somewhere Else if you go to the archives at Rogue's Gallery at The Dividing Line. Probably easiest to get there using Google.

I found those archives last week and listened to new Knight Area, Daryl Stuermer, Sylvan, Alan Morse, Porcupine Tree, etc. A lot of prog and fusion. The Knight Area keyboards on "Courteus Love" and "Different Man part II" remind me of Tony Banks solo and Genesis from the 1978-79 period.

Mr MidFi
04-30-2007, 06:35 AM
Well, 3LB? Was it all you hoped for?
Please assess the damage for us...and spare no details!

bobsticks
04-30-2007, 03:10 PM
They are not anything like they used to be, at least to me. The last 3 or 4 studio albums pale in comparison to like Misplaced Childhood or Fugazi or Afraid of Sunlight or Season's End.But that's just me....

Dave

No, it's not just you. Fish was the man, as bizarre a sentence as that is, in spite of and sometimes because of his pretentiousness.

Has anyone heard the super-duper remixed magpie version of Misplaced Childhood?Just wonderin' whether the remixed disc is worth the extra cheese...

3-LockBox
05-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Well, no damage as far as I can tell...we'll see.

As for Marillion, I loved Marbles, but don't care too much for the new one. I sounds like these guys mailed it in. But I think I'll post a review....

Dave_G
07-31-2014, 03:34 AM
B'Sides Themselves is very good, highly recommended to the old School listener.

DG

MasterCylinder
08-01-2014, 04:42 AM
All seriouslessness aside, I am diggin that new PT

Are you referring to COVER VERSION ?
What new PT ?

Dave_G
08-01-2014, 09:05 AM
New Porcupine Tree? Not heard a note off of it.

I had to pass on concerts here by YES recently and also The Musical Box. Oh well. Seen and heard both of them plenty!

DG

3LB
08-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Check that date guys