Change in Setup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Change in Setup

giofer69
04-27-2007, 06:58 AM
I am considering in changing my HT set up:

I currently have a NAD T753 receiver with Mirage speakers (OM-12 (mains), OMC-3 (center), OMR-2 (rears).

I'm looking into changing the speakers to PSB (Image B25 (mains),B15(rears), C40(center).

I was getting tired of the Omnipolar sound, I wanted to go back to front-firing speakers and being a fan of Cdn speakers I am leaning towards the PSBs. The prices for PSBs are amazing.

I auditioned the Images, G-Series, and VisionSeries. G-Series were slightly better, but for the price difference the Images are not that far off from the G-Series in sound quality. VisionSeries, even though they look funky, the quality in sound wasn't up to par with the Image and also the VisionSeries are quite over priced.

Any opinions if I'm making the right decision in going with Images. I think it is an upgrade to my current Mirage set up. Or should I pursue the G-series instead?

Feanor
04-27-2007, 09:35 AM
I am considering in changing my HT set up:

I currently have a NAD T753 receiver with Mirage speakers (OM-12 (mains), OMC-3 (center), OMR-2 (rears).

I'm looking into changing the speakers to PSB (Image B25 (mains),B15(rears), C40(center).

I was getting tired of the Omnipolar sound, I wanted to go back to front-firing speakers and being a fan of Cdn speakers I am leaning towards the PSBs. The prices for PSBs are amazing.

What's your issue with the OM-12's, etc? Of course, they are bipolar speakers, not omni strictly speaking. Biplars, (like dipolars, e.g. Magneplanars), need to be properly places to sound alright. In simplistic terms, this means the speakers need to be at least 2.5 - 3 feet away from the wall behind them.

Assuming your OM's are properly places, I wonder whether the PSB Images will really give you better sound versus merely different sound? If you want improvement, I suggest you hold off 'till you have the bucks for the new 'G' series.

Sadly Mirage is no longer entirely a Canadian company; its parent API, was recently bought out by Klipsch. API owns (or owned) Mirage, Energy, and Athena. These bought by Klipsch??? It's enough to make me want to puke. :(

giofer69
04-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks Feanor,

I heard about API being bought and I was quite upset when I heard.

Nothing really wrong with the speakers, I've placed them in the proper manner. I want to back to front firing speakers again. I was a PSB fan long ago but I was drawn to Mirage for their unique dispersion of sound. Bad mistake.

Friends of mine, suggested the same as you and save for the G-series. I would like to go back to bookshelf again. Therefore if I went with the G-series, maybe go with 4 GB-1s (2 mains, 2 rears) and the GC-1 (center). With the NAD, I would notice a difference in comparison to the Mirage.

Thoughts?

Feanor
04-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks Feanor,

I heard about API being bought and I was quite upset when I heard.

Nothing really wrong with the speakers, I've placed them in the proper manner. I want to back to front firing speakers again. I was a PSB fan long ago but I was drawn to Mirage for their unique dispersion of sound. Bad mistake.

Friends of mine, suggested the same as you and save for the G-series. I would like to go back to bookshelf again. Therefore if I went with the G-series, maybe go with 4 GB-1s (2 mains, 2 rears) and the GC-1 (center). With the NAD, I would notice a difference in comparison to the Mirage.

Thoughts?

No doubt you will notice a difference. Monopole speakers are likely to give you a more focused image and possibly a deeper, more defined soundstage, on the other hand you might experience less "air" or expansiveness of the soundstage. I'm not intimately familiar with either the OM's or the G's so I can't be more specific than that.

buzzy
05-01-2007, 07:48 AM
Sadly Mirage is no longer entirely a Canadian company; its parent API, was recently bought out by Klipsch. API owns (or owned) Mirage, Energy, and Athena. Hmmm.... I'm a lot more concerned about the fact that they don't make the speakers in Canada anymore, and what that means for all the people who used to make them.

Wonder where the PSBs are actually made? Some good speakers are made in China, but it doesn't just happen ... companies have to be very well managed to make that work well.

spf
05-01-2007, 08:24 AM
Although I too was also saddened by the Klipsch takeover, I understand that the API group was allowed to keep its headquarters, 95% of its permanent staff and almost all its research and development in Toronto. The manufacturing may have indeed been moved out of Canada (although I didn't think it had) but Ian Paisley and Andrew Welker are still in charge over in Mirage. I would assume this is the same for Energy and Athena technologies as well.

Shane