Klipsch Referance IV opinions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Klipsch Referance IV opinions

BigT0ke
04-24-2007, 03:50 AM
I am planning on installing a Home theater sytem in steps and have pretty much decided on Klipsch Referance IV RF-62's with a RSW 10d sub. Anyone have these?? Any opinions on them?? Out of the HK-347, Yamaha RX-V861, or Onkyo TX-SR 705, which would be the better rec to push these?? Would an amp be needed?? I don't listen quietly but I wouldn't say I play'em loud either. My listening habits could be summed as : High mid-range volume mainly from Blu-ray, dvd movies, games( PS2 & 3, Xbox, Wii), music and minimal tv.

igneous
04-27-2007, 10:51 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with Klipsch speakers...haven't heard the RF62 yet, but my old Heresy's still sound great after 20 yrs! I know....need to buy some new ones but can't justify it after hearing what I got. As far as rec, I prefer HK over most others. Lower distortion and they look alot cooler. I also think they're wattage is under-rated--compared to Pioneer, Yam, Onk, etal.

R.S.
04-27-2007, 08:50 PM
I am planning on installing a Home theater sytem in steps and have pretty much decided on Klipsch Referance IV RF-62's with a RSW 10d sub. Anyone have these?? Any opinions on them?? Out of the HK-347, Yamaha RX-V861, or Onkyo TX-SR 705, which would be the better rec to push these?? Would an amp be needed?? I don't listen quietly but I wouldn't say I play'em loud either. My listening habits could be summed as : High mid-range volume mainly from Blu-ray, dvd movies, games( PS2 & 3, Xbox, Wii), music and minimal tv.

RB5II's (8" woofers) in the front, RB3's (6 1/2" woofers) on the side and back and an RC7 (8" woofers) for the center as part of a 7.1 system. Very nice speakers for home theater. All the little nuances and special effects come through very clear on movies, plus they are very musical (I also use them with an SACD player in surround sound).

I would go with the Harmon Kardon receiver. They are a little on the warm side, and match very well with Klipsch.

westcott
05-15-2007, 09:07 AM
I would stay away from the new Harman Kardons. They have had some reliability issue as of late and that is sad to hear because I owned one for 20 years and loved it.

If I were going to invest in a new reciever NOW, I would get the Onkyo TX-SR605. It supports the new HDMI1.3a standard and the new HD Audio lossless formats (the first out so far). Great price too and I am a Denon fan.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5441

compaqguy
05-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Klipsch and onkyo is a disaster waiting to happen. Onkyo are too grainy in the treble, and those tweets in the refs will be all too glad to point it out. I have been there, and it is fatigue city.

topspeed
05-18-2007, 11:40 AM
I guess the most important questions is: What do you think of them?

I perfer the Heritage series of Klipsch speakers, but for HT duty and gaming, the Ref series should serve you well. Not my cup 'o tea, but you could certainly do far worse.

As for what to drive them with, you might want to gravitate toward warmer sounding gear, such as Denon, Pio, Cambridge Audio, Integra, or Rotel. Westcott runs Ref's IIRC, so you should definitely consider his recommendation.

Hope this helps.