Optical Cables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Optical Cables

Ace H
04-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Is there a difference between a Digital Optical Audio Cable and a Digital Optical Audio TosLink Cable?

markw
04-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Toslink is the cutsey name developed by Toshiba for digital audio optical connectors.

Kinda like Bayer invented the term "Asprin" which is mnow used by everyone for acetylsalicylic acid pills.

hydroman
04-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Man! I love this forum!

Good questions i care about and insightful answers.

orgasmdonor
04-24-2007, 01:58 PM
I also love this forum. And I love you too !!!:ciappa:

HiFiKeith
05-03-2007, 04:39 AM
Hi There,

In answer to your question Toslink Cables and Digital Optical Cables are one and the same item. Toslink is the "technical" name for the device. From past experience i can say that if you have the choice between using a toslink cable and a digital COAXIAL cable, i would go with the coax every time. Gives you a much smoother sound, give it a try!

Happy Listening

HiFiKeith
05-03-2007, 04:47 AM
Is anybody interestied in Original Block Mounted THX - the audience is listening Prints?

westcott
05-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Hi There,

In answer to your question Toslink Cables and Digital Optical Cables are one and the same item. Toslink is the "technical" name for the device. From past experience i can say that if you have the choice between using a toslink cable and a digital COAXIAL cable, i would go with the coax every time. Gives you a much smoother sound, give it a try!

Happy Listening

Every technology has its advantages and disadvantages, so making generalities stating one is better than the other is optomistic. Coaxial can handle a much larger bandwidth (1.5Gbps) but can be more susceptable to ground loops, EMI, and RFI. On the other hand, optical has a much lower bandwidth (3-4MHz) but because of its use of light as a transmission media, is not susceptable to signal degradation over reasonable distances. Coax can be more forgiving to handling and bends, as well.

N. Abstentia
05-03-2007, 06:37 AM
Hi There,

Happy Listening

My nomination for 'clueless post of the year'.