Grado Headphones? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Grado Headphones?

L.J.
04-23-2007, 04:23 PM
I was looking at getting some SR60 or SR80. Has anyone owned both and is there much difference?

Also I noticed that there is a prestige series (http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000G3HEXW/ref=s9_asin_title_1/103-5139254-4961440?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=173MP863GK41KKTR2JC6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278240301&pf_rd_i=507846) with the SR60 and SR80 model number. Are these the same headphones?

Thanks

jrhymeammo
04-23-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm not going to comment on it's sound, but I would say try on 60 for about 30 minutes then try on a pair of 80 for another 30. I used to own a pair of 60...well actually I still do in a faaaaaarrr corner of my closet. Stock ear pads that come with'em were quite comfortable. Then I decided to get a replacement pads for higher models, then now I can't even wear'em for over 20 minutes. Too me, Grado Prestige series sound way too .... BRIGHT cough, cough. I used to wear them with a knitted hat to be less irritable. That also made'em more listenable. I would suggest you look for a different pair. I suggest a pair of Audio Technica ATH series. Open or Closed. I've listened to ALL of them, and found them to be a joy, as long as they were numbered 500 or greater. Great open sound with clarity, but allow me to listen for hours. They are extremely comfortable for my giant head and that helps. 3D Wing-Support is something to be experience.

Check out this link. http://www.audiocubes.com/category/Audio+Gear_Headphones_Audiophile,+Hifi.html?sort=5 a&page=1

ATH-AD700 is a great bargain for $110, if you can stand the color. I ended up with AD1000.

JRA

audio_dude
04-29-2007, 06:17 PM
well, I own grade SR-60's... I listened to the SR-80's when I was buying, but I couldn't really justify the price jump for such a miniscule performace jump. oh, the SR-60 and Sr-80 are both in the "Prestige" line from grado, along with the SR-125, 225 and 325i

Theres is not really much of a difference between these, save the 325i, which is the top in the prestige series.

I'd go for the SR-60's, best value and sound. Also, a comment on the brightness of these headphones... between myself and my dad, both of us can't stand shrill or harsh top-ends, and these grado's have never sounded harsh to me.

L.J.
04-30-2007, 06:03 AM
Thanks guys. I don't think I can find a place to audition the Grado's in my area. I tried the BB/Magnolia store and they looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned the name.

The reviews on the SR60's are so overwhelming that I just have to give them a try at only $69. Just wondering if the diff in price was worth it. Thanks again.

Woochifer
04-30-2007, 01:16 PM
My understanding is that the two headphones are identical in every way except how the wiring connects to the diaphragm. The SR80 has more bass than the SR60, but they are otherwise very similar. The SR125 is supposed to have some other refinements, so its sound is less similar than with the SR60 and 80.

I know that the SR60s were the first ones to go with the thicker (and more comfortable) earpads, and I thought that SR80s now also have the thicker earpads. But, you might want to check on this because Grado's higher end models use an earpad with a hollow center that's less comfortable on long-term use. Either way you can always order replacement pads. Even so, comfort and looks are definitely not Grado strongsuits.

I own a pair of the SR60s and they are one of the best bargains I've come across in my years in the audio hobby. At $70, you can't go wrong with them, and even at $90 for the SR80 you're getting an excellent set of cans that outperforms everything I've heard in that price class. In my listenings, the SR60s already provide plenty of bass, so you might not even need to go to the SR80s.

In your area, you might want to check on whether Custom TV carries the Grados. I thought I saw them when I visited that store a few years ago. I also know that the standalone Magnolia Audio Video stores (closest one to Modesto would be the San Ramon store) carry Grado (both the headphones and phono cartridges), but from what you're reporting, it sounds like the Magnolia ministores inside BB don't stock them.

jrhymeammo
04-30-2007, 06:23 PM
LJ

I hope you'll find them to be a great pair as many have found.

audio_dude
05-01-2007, 01:16 PM
yep, you'll most likely enjoy them, unless you're one of the damned...the audio damned:devil:

L.J.
05-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Ordered em today. Should be here by the end of the week.

audio_dude
05-12-2007, 09:40 AM
when you get 'em, tell us what you think

Kaboom
05-31-2007, 03:24 AM
i own a pair of SR-80s that i rarely use now that i have the 325i's
Excellent earphones, but watch your sources because they CAN indeed sound very bright. No problem whatsoever off my computer through my audioalchemy DAC and tube headphone amp, but through off my Cambridge Audio transport, TriVista21 DAC and the same headphone amp i have to keep the volume well within average levels because if i get too excited they'll just poke a hole right through my eardrums.
but senns just sound too dull to me.
the eternal dilemma...
you won't be dissappointed with the 60's. excellent value for money.

jrhymeammo
06-02-2007, 04:28 AM
Hey Kaboom,

You can always get a pair of Stax. There are just simply amazing.

I agree with your impressions on headphones.
I settled with AT AHT-1000 after auditioning 2-4 dozen pairs SIDE BY SIDE. They are easy to listen to much like Senns, but very crisp the way Grado wanted to be. I can listen to them and wear them for more than 3 hours.

You can always go with a pair of AKG-701 for more neutral sound, but I thought soundstage was too focused/narrrow. AT has a huge soundstage with very crisp highs w/o. If you are looking for another pair, you should defintely audition a pair of ATH series 700 or higher.

JRA

jrhymeammo
10-12-2007, 02:17 PM
So I gotta negative rep for postiong on this thread?

Did someone try ATH-1000 and found them to be absolutely dreadful? I would love to know.

drseid
10-13-2007, 03:34 AM
Ordered em today. Should be here by the end of the week.

I think you will be very happy with the 60s. For non-headphone amp use I don't think there are any better for the money (and I frequently use them when travelling). The 80s would not have added much to the equation except as already mentioned a bit more bass, IMO.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh I just realized this is a resurrected thread from 1/2 year ago! Oh boy.

---Dave

rollingsphere
10-28-2007, 10:53 AM
I have the SR80's and love them. I use them with a CMOY type amp.