Balanced or not balanced [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Balanced or not balanced

quad121
04-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Can any one please explain the difference between balanced inputs and phono inputs and also are there any advantages in using one against the other?

Regards,

Q

Feanor
04-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Can any one please explain the difference between balanced inputs and phono inputs and also are there any advantages in using one against the other?

Regards,

Q

A fully balances signal consists of a pair of signals usually referred to as "positive" and "negative" -- the two deliver equal but opposite +/- voltage. The balanced signal is usually delivered by a XLR connection that has three wires: positive, negative, and ground.

In contrast, single-end connection provides only a single active +/- voltage connection. Of course, the active signal requires a "drain" or ground connection. What is confusing is that single-end connection has wires named "positive" that carries the active signal and another named "negative", even though latter doesn't carry an active signal. Single-end signals are usually delivered by an RCA connections, (once called "phono plugs").

Balanced connection is superior in that it is immune from noise and interference being picked up by the connecting wire; it is is higly recommended for longer cable runs. Also, assuming the receiving power amp itself has balanced circuitry, the signal reaching it via the balanced connection is 6 dB stronger. Finally, some amplifiers due to their design, will work better with a balanced signal even though they function with single-ended.

Mr Peabody
04-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I would use XLR's with Krell just because the Krell gear is truely fully balanced circuitry. The gear is built by design to use XLR. I haven't had the opportunity to play with different cables much between pre and power but I have some between my Krell CD players and 500i. I always used a pair of Transparent XLR's between source and amp. When comparing I have found the XLR's to be superior but to be fair the RCA's compared were slightly less expensive. I did try a pair of home made RCA's built by a friend that were pure silver, these were the best of any cable I ever used with Krell. The higher gain with XLR was always evident though.

Smokey
04-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Balanced connection is superior in that it is immune from noise and interference being picked up by the connecting wire; it is is higly recommended for longer cable runs.

It also noteworthy to mention that balance connections are more immune to ground loop hum caused by common ground between components.

Gave you some rep points :)