Please help this noob!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please help this noob!!

BigT0ke
04-22-2007, 10:20 AM
First off, I would like to say I am excited about joining. This is my first post here. I am just starting to build my home theater. I currently have a 3 year old 37" 1080i LCD and a crappy panasonic 5.1 in a box. However with my current purchase of a PS3 I am ready to build a real home theater. Here is an outline of my plan and budget for now, I would appreciate any advice on particular products in my price ranges as well as advice on ways I might change my design to make it better. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Step 1- Internal 160gb 2.5 sata HDD -$160
External harddrive (larger then 500gb)-$400
7.1 A/V Reciever- was looking between $800-900 but any suggestions under $1,000
Step 2- Entertainment center console style-$1100
1080p LCD tv for under $2,500 ( thinking about buying one on Black Thursday if I can find a deal)
Step 3- Speakers- leaning towards wall mounts-$1200-1500
Any control panels, or switchers that would integrate all sources

Now for the inputs I already have and desired set up-
PS3- hdmi
PS2- component
Xbox-component
Wii-component
upconvert dvd-hdmi
cd changer
cass deck
PC

In my final setup I plan to have both tv's hung next to each other with all the gaming systems ran through the a/v receiver and into the new tv, through HDMI but I alsowant to run a component out of the reciever to the old tv. Will I be able to connect the PS3 to the receiver with HDMI and still use a component out of the receiver to my old TV?? I also plan to run the CD and cass decks into the receiver. I also plan to connect my current desktop pc through the DVI on my current TV. Any suggestions on the best equipment or ways to streamline my design are greatly appreciated.

BigT0ke
04-22-2007, 10:27 AM
forgot to say the as far as the LCD is concerned I definately want another flat panel, and as far as the speakers I was hoping to get a 5.1 surround for the budget then add the extra 2 as budget allows. You all know how that goes, I'm already pushing it as far as the wife is concerned.lol

Luvin Da Blues
04-22-2007, 11:15 AM
forgot to say the as far as the LCD is concerned I definately want another flat panel, and as far as the speakers I was hoping to get a 5.1 surround for the budget then add the extra 2 as budget allows. You all know how that goes, I'm already pushing it as far as the wife is concerned.lol

Welcome to this forum BigTOke..just a sec....puff...puff....that feels better..now where were we...oh ya

Sounds like your in the same boat as me. One thing that helped with my lady was that I rented the movie "The Commitments" one day. It's about a Irish R&B band (great movie) anyway she really toked, I mean took, to this R&B music and has been on board with my upgrades (sorta) ever since. Hell she even likes some Blues now.

Peace Out:cornut:

musicman1999
04-22-2007, 01:01 PM
One thing is that i would spend at least 30% of your budget on speakers,if not a little more and in general wall mount speakers will not sound as good as free standing speakers in the same price range.

bill

BigT0ke
04-22-2007, 01:46 PM
thanks for the warm welcome. I plan to use the set of crappy panasonic speakers I have until I upgrade the speakers down the road. The budget then could possibly grow, but due to the constraints I have in the space and shape of the room. Right now I'm more focused on suggestions for a reciever that meets my needs and tv suggestions. I have the wife on board for the current budget and she would be flexable with slight increases in any area if the differance in price is justifiable. She's actually really understanding and a great girl, so I'm lucky. Besides she's hooked on guitar hero now so she'll appreciate the sound system.lol

BigT0ke
04-22-2007, 02:17 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8258949&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03031&id=1170289629751

Is this a decent AVR for the price range??

Luvin Da Blues
04-22-2007, 05:52 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8258949&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03031&id=1170289629751

Is this a decent AVR for the price range??

On paper it looks good. Seems to out do my Denon for $300-400 less. Of course you should see if you can hear it locally with decent speakers (something along the lines your planning to upgrade to later)

Cheers

:16:

L.J.
04-22-2007, 06:20 PM
You should have no problem finding a decent avr within your budget.

If you can hold out a month, Onkyo should be dropping some avr's that are HDMI 1.3. The 605 is going for only $499.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=187296&postcount=11

If not, plenty out there that support 1.1 & up.

N. Abstentia
04-23-2007, 03:18 AM
Don't forget to make room for an Xbox 360 which can be your multimedia center. It will stream all your music and HD videos from a network, plus of course it has lots of HD movies you can download...not to mention the gaming!

BigT0ke
04-23-2007, 03:29 AM
as far as the xbox is concerned, I may buy one after the elite comes out. But it won't be as a multi media device. With the blu-ray, upconvert dvd player, and my pc hooked up to the whole system I doubt a 360 will provide more then I have. I listened to the HK with Klipsch speakers ( kinda what I'm looking at getting) and the sound quality was decent. I was wondering if anyone has this one or if I should wait for the Yamaha RX-V861. Thanks for all the helpful input so far.

DEVO
04-23-2007, 05:57 AM
Harmans are a pain to set up, at least that is what I can remember from my past...and Klipsch don't need alot of current do to their effieciency. You can step down like L. J. said I suggest good speakers and whores.:ihih:
Onkyo and Yamaha have some good models coming out w/ good features for the money.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=547398&CTID=5000300

Actually, take the extra $ and get a nice remote for the lovely wife.:)

N. Abstentia
04-23-2007, 08:03 AM
as far as the xbox is concerned, I may buy one after the elite comes out. But it won't be as a multi media device. With the blu-ray, upconvert dvd player, and my pc hooked up to the whole system I doubt a 360 will provide more then I have.

It will give you HD-DVD (if you add the drive of course) but the biggest thing it will give you is the Xbox Marketplace. Tons of HD content to download...movies, TV shows, clips, trailers. But yeah definitely wait for the 360 Elite. Mine will be here soon :)

GMichael
04-23-2007, 08:20 AM
I think that you should focus on what speakers you like before you choose a receiver. Some speakers will need more power than others. It would suck to do all this research on a receiver and buy one, then find that it doesn't work for the speakers you fall in love with.
Here is one of many choices for the speakers. This company will let you try them out at home for 30 days to see if you like them. Just about any receiver would be able to drive these.
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=14.1

BigT0ke
04-23-2007, 10:16 AM
should I have an issue down the road concerning power, wouldn't I be able to add an amp?? I'm focused on a receiver now because I plan to buy one within a month or so. I have speakers that will suffice for now. When I do update I was leaning towards the Klipsch Referance IV series, but we'll cross that bridge in about 8 months. After the receiver and after the new tv.

hydroman
04-23-2007, 11:16 AM
You are asking the right questions! Plan for the whole system so you won't make any decsion you regret.

BTW: Settng up my H/K was not too difficult for me...

recoveryone
04-23-2007, 11:37 AM
From the computer drives your looking at I'm assuming your into d/l music. I would suggest looking at a squeeze box setup.

musicman1999
04-23-2007, 03:05 PM
GMichael is right,whenyou are upgrading the reciever should come last.Speakers make the biggest difference and should always come first.

bill

BigT0ke
04-24-2007, 03:13 AM
I have figured out which speakers I will buy, but I'm not buying them until after the receiver and tv. If I buy the speakers now I won't even be able to use them with the crappy panny in a box reciever I have now. I finally decided on Klipsch Referance IV RF-62's with the Klipsch RSW-10d sub- grand total-list-3000 but will pay more like 2500. Will the HK 347, the yamaha rx-v861, or one of the Onkyo be a good receiver for these?? Is HDMI 1.3 worth buying in a receiver since most tv's don't support it and I'm not convinved any studio's will ever release thier master quality video?? Thanks again for all your help so far.

BigT0ke
04-24-2007, 03:25 AM
The hard drive's are mainly for movie and Jpeg content. With a digital HD camcorder those gigs get used up fast. This may seem like a dumb question, but as the title states I really am a noob, but could you explain what a squeeze box setup is?? I have very little knowledge in this area, but like Hydro man said I'm doing as much research as I can and asking as many questions as I can. I would much rather take this time now then realise I blew a bunch of $$$ because I was iggnorant or uninformed. I will say that the wide base of knowledge I've found on this site has already been very helpful and guided me towards spending the extra cash on better speakers.

GMichael
04-24-2007, 04:50 AM
Seems to me that almost any receiver should be able to drive these. Here are the specs I found:
RF-62 Specifications
frequency response 38Hz-23kHz +/-3dB
power handling 125W RMS / 500W Peak
sensitivity 97dB @ 2.83V / 1m
nominal impedance 8 ohms compatible
high frequency drivers 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90x60 square Tractrix® Horn
high freq crossover 1800Hz
low frequency drivers Dual 6.5" (16.5cm) Cerametallic™ cone woofers
enclosure type Bass-reflex via dual rear-firing ports
height 40.6" (103.1cm) (w/feet)
width 8.5" (21.6cm)
depth 15.5" (39.4cm)
weight 54lbs (24.5kg)
finishes Black Ash woodgrain vinyl
built from 2006

Don't look bad either. I put the whole package up here though in case you decide to go that way.

L.J.
04-24-2007, 06:28 AM
Info on the Squeezebox (http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html?).

As long as your avr supports HDMI 1.1 you should be able to take advantage of the lossless PCM tracks on most BR disc, assuming your gonna use your PS3 for this. HDMI 1.3 is not gonna make or break your system. I'm interested in the Onkyo due to it's ability to decode the new audio formats (more avr's will be popping up that support this by the end of this year). Something I probably won't use anytime ( I have not seen a BR with a Dolby HD track yet) soon but still nice to have.

BigT0ke
04-24-2007, 01:59 PM
I don't think I need the squeezebox since my Pc will be integrated into the same entertainment center. Most of my audio needs are movie and game oriented, I've been listening to music on the same crappy Technics stereo for ever now, so pretty much anything is an improvement in the music area. I just read today that only level 6 avr's can run 7.1 lossless PCM through the HDMI. Is this true?? Can it be acheived through the digital optical then??

BigT0ke
04-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks GMichael. I have the spec book on them, and auditioned them at the local StereoShop. I'll keep shopping until it's time to buy, but I think I found what I'm looking for in the speakers. Now all I need is, well everything else.Lol Avr, HDD's, TV

L.J.
04-24-2007, 03:02 PM
I don't think I need the squeezebox since my Pc will be integrated into the same entertainment center. Most of my audio needs are movie and game oriented, I've been listening to music on the same crappy Technics stereo for ever now, so pretty much anything is an improvement in the music area. I just read today that only level 6 avr's can run 7.1 lossless PCM through the HDMI. Is this true?? Can it be acheived through the digital optical then??

No, optical can only handle 2 chann of PCM and currect DD & DTS tracks.

I'm not sure if this (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=738511) is the article you read but it should clear some things up for you.

BigT0ke
04-25-2007, 02:52 AM
yes that is the article, but it didn't clear much up. In fact I'm more confused. So a level6 rec is the only way to get 7.1 lossless PCM?? If so that sux because There is no way I can pcify the wife into letting me spend 3 to 5k for a rec. Will the new Onkyo 605 or 705 do the trick?? Thanks for the input.

L.J.
04-25-2007, 07:21 AM
yes that is the article, but it didn't clear much up. In fact I'm more confused. So a level6 rec is the only way to get 7.1 lossless PCM?? If so that sux because There is no way I can pcify the wife into letting me spend 3 to 5k for a rec. Will the new Onkyo 605 or 705 do the trick?? Thanks for the input.

Well according to the article "level 5" recv need to be verified to accept and output 7.1 since some manuf. haven't listed this ability in there mauals/website. If these capabilities aren't listed, the only solution would be to call the manuf., since PS3 game Resistance seems to be the only 7.1 LPCM source to test this out.

There is a list of "level 5" that simply need verification since, as stated, manuf. are doing a bad job in listing audio support in there manuals. The list includes "All latest HDMI Denons. Yamaha RX-V1700/HTR-6090 and higher. Pioneer Elite 81TXV and higher".

I guess some recv will only output 5.1. I haven't really looked into though.

As far as the 605 and up goes, I would assume these would accept and output 7.1, but this is not actually listed on Onkyo's website yet, so it may be a wait and see thing.

BigT0ke
04-25-2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks. Does anyone know of any stores that carry Onkyo?? The Stereoshop in Greensburg pa doesn't. Any national chains?? Would really like to check one of the new models out in person.

GMichael
04-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Thanks. Does anyone know of any stores that carry Onkyo?? The Stereoshop in Greensburg pa doesn't. Any national chains?? Would really like to check one of the new models out in person.

I believe that CC still does. BB sells the speakers. Too bad you couldn't get them together to hear the combo.

L.J.
04-25-2007, 08:15 AM

New Onkyo's haven't hit the street yet. The 605 is due in mid may. 705 in June, 805/905 in July/August.

musicman1999
04-25-2007, 03:20 PM
I would not worry to much about 7.1 lossless formats just yet as no movies have been released in this format,at least to my knowledge.Also no one seems sure when these films will hit the market.Hdmi 1.3 may not be as important as many people think,at least for a long while,no tv's support it for example.If you go hd-dvd when this war is decided,it needs onboard decoding to use all the features of their interactive menus.This is not a great time to be purchasing a new reciever,until all these changes shake them self out.

bill

L.J.
04-25-2007, 04:01 PM
I would not worry to much about 7.1 lossless formats just yet as no movies have been released in this format,at least to my knowledge.Also no one seems sure when these films will hit the market.Hdmi 1.3 may not be as important as many people think,at least for a long while,no tv's support it for example.If you go hd-dvd when this war is decided,it needs onboard decoding to use all the features of their interactive menus.This is not a great time to be purchasing a new reciever,until all these changes shake them self out.

bill

Good thing I have a 5.1 setup :ihih:

Robert-The-Rambler
04-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Good thing I have a 5.1 setup :ihih:

Would it not be logical to assume that all HDMI 1.1 capable receivers with HDMI audio should be able to accept a 7.1 linear PCM signal and output it the same way it might output an analog input 7.1/7.1 output type setup? I mean if you already have got the speakers why not use them? Isn't the HDMI standard supposed to include native 7.1 channel support anyway?

I'm not buying a PS3 and Resistance: Fall of Man to check this out. We don't even have anything else to use that anyway. I can wait, but if anybody can tell me it will work in the future I'll be a bit happier.

BigT0ke
04-26-2007, 03:21 AM
I already have a PS3 and RFOM but no avr to test it on. I currently have a crappy HTIB. I am worried about the lossless PCM because that's the biggest reason I'm upgrading to a real HT. I want full use from my ps3 and blu ray movies when they begin to support this within the next year.I don't want to drop 1k on an avr this year and do it again in 2 years because mine doesn't support 7.1

L.J.
04-26-2007, 05:52 AM
Would it not be logical to assume that all HDMI 1.1 capable receivers with HDMI audio should be able to accept a 7.1 linear PCM signal and output it the same way it might output an analog input 7.1/7.1 output type setup? I mean if you already have got the speakers why not use them? Isn't the HDMI standard supposed to include native 7.1 channel support anyway?

I'm not buying a PS3 and Resistance: Fall of Man to check this out. We don't even have anything else to use that anyway. I can wait, but if anybody can tell me it will work in the future I'll be a bit happier.

Onkyo's HDMI 1.1 avr's (604 for example) clearly states in the manual that it only supports 5.1 PCM over HDMI. I was not aware of this and I haven't really looked into it until recently since I'll be picking up a avr soon myself. It seems that some manuf. has not stated this info on their websites or in their manuals so the guys at AVS have compiled a list of which avr's can do what based on experiences, calls to the manuf. and so on.

L.J.
04-26-2007, 07:19 AM
New Onkyo's haven't hit the street yet. The 605 is due in mid may. 705 in June, 805/905 in July/August.

Oops, I got the dates wrong.

"The Onkyo TX-SR805 will be shipping in May at a suggested retail price of $1099. The TX-SR875 will be available in June at a suggested retail price of $1699. The THX Select2 Certified TX-SR705 will be available in July at a suggested retail price of $899. The TX-NR905 will be available in August at a suggested retail price of $2099."

Robert-The-Rambler
04-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Onkyo's HDMI 1.1 avr's (604 for example) clearly states in the manual that it only supports 5.1 PCM over HDMI. I was not aware of this and I haven't really looked into it until recently since I'll be picking up a avr soon myself. It seems that some manuf. has not stated this info on their websites or in their manuals so the guys at AVS have compiled a list of which avr's can do what based on experiences, calls to the manuf. and so on.

there was nothing that even utilized the technology? A lot of the receivers came out before PS3. I wonder. Last night after reading this thread I came across a thread somewhere else that hinted that the Onkyo 804 supports 7.1 PCM via HDMI. I can't remember where that was or even verify the truth of the statement. I read that thread at AVS.

L.J.
04-27-2007, 04:43 PM
there was nothing that even utilized the technology? A lot of the receivers came out before PS3. I wonder. Last night after reading this thread I came across a thread somewhere else that hinted that the Onkyo 804 supports 7.1 PCM via HDMI. I can't remember where that was or even verify the truth of the statement. I read that thread at AVS.

There's a 804 owners thread over at AVS and several mention that Onkyo HDMI 1.1 avr's only output 5.1 PCM over HDMI. Not a big deal if you only have a 5.1 setup and there are only 2 7.1 sources that I know of anyway, and one of them is a game.

Robert-The-Rambler
04-28-2007, 05:32 PM
There's a 804 owners thread over at AVS and several mention that Onkyo HDMI 1.1 avr's only output 5.1 PCM over HDMI. Not a big deal if you only have a 5.1 setup and there are only 2 7.1 sources that I know of anyway, and one of them is a game.

Even if that is true like you said.

pixelthis
05-03-2007, 01:10 AM
Seems to me that almost any receiver should be able to drive these. Here are the specs I found:
RF-62 Specifications
frequency response 38Hz-23kHz +/-3dB
power handling 125W RMS / 500W Peak
sensitivity 97dB @ 2.83V / 1m
nominal impedance 8 ohms compatible
high frequency drivers 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90x60 square Tractrix® Horn
high freq crossover 1800Hz
low frequency drivers Dual 6.5" (16.5cm) Cerametallic™ cone woofers
enclosure type Bass-reflex via dual rear-firing ports
height 40.6" (103.1cm) (w/feet)
width 8.5" (21.6cm)
depth 15.5" (39.4cm)
weight 54lbs (24.5kg)
finishes Black Ash woodgrain vinyl
built from 2006

Don't look bad either. I put the whole package up here though in case you decide to go that way.
I have some of these, they are rather nice

mikeguru
05-06-2007, 07:15 PM
I've just joined the AR Forums, and wanted to just say "hi" to all the audio/video enthusiasts here, be they newbies or experts. I'm not new to audio/video - I've been an "audiophile" for over 30 years. Began with true home theatre in 1991. My current equipment is somewhat "dated" compared to much of the stuff being discussed here, but that's OK. We enjoy it very much. Here's a list of current equipment:

Pioneer VSX-D1S (5.1 Surround/AV Receiver)
Carver TFM-42 (750 Watts RMS Stereo Amp)
Infinity Kappa 9s (Main Speaker Pair)
Infinty Beta C250 (Center Speaker)
Carver TS441s (Rear Speaker Pair)
Sony KP-53HS30 (Rear Proj TV)
JVC DR-MV5S (VHS/DVD-Recorder)
Pioneer DV-343 (DVD Player)
ProScan PSVR87 (Super VHS VCR)
Pioneer CLD-2730K (Laser Disc Player)
Pioneer PDM-910 (6-Disc CD Changer)
Pioneer GR-777 (Programmable Graphic EQ)
Nakamichi CR-1A (Single Cassette Recorder)
Pioneer DT-555 (Timer/System Controller)

In addition, I use an Apple 17" MacBook Pro and Apple's Airport Express to stream audio to the AV receiver from anywhere in the house. We will probably acquire an AppleTV to extend these "live streaming" capabilities to the video side of things soon. The only other thing that we're contemplating adding in the near future is an XM Home Receiver. Since my '06 HHR came equipped with XM, a "Roadie" type unit will probably be best, so the Mrs. can enjoy XM in her car as well. (GRIN)

Finally, we're in the process of building a new home, and a "Whole House Tech Wiring" package is part of the options being built in during construction. This includes 5.1 wiring in the living room, where all of the current HT equipment will be installed.

I welcome comments/suggestions.

Cheers!

StoneMountain
05-28-2007, 06:06 PM
You should have no problem finding a decent avr within your budget.

If you can hold out a month, Onkyo should be dropping some avr's that are HDMI 1.3. The 605 is going for only $499.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=187296&postcount=11

If not, plenty out there that support 1.1 & up.

I am a newbie too, but am looking at different receivers for a new home theater. I chose the Onkyo 605 since it is HDMI 1.3 and it can shift all your analong inputs to the HDMI output (I don't think it will upconvert 480i to 1080p), which is very nice for my older VCR and DVD player. It is also 7.1 and has zone 2. It is also compatible with the Panasonic EZSync system. However, it is not THX certified. Also is does not have the Burr Brown DAC which the much more expensinve 805 will have.

Anyway on another thread on AR, someone said if you call JandR and preorder it, it is only $400 plus $27 shipping (telephone preorder only, for some reason, not advertised on their webpage), :) which is a steal for what it can do. I called two days ago and preordered it. I hope I won't be disappointed.

Good luck.

StoneMountain
05-28-2007, 06:12 PM
I've just joined the AR Forums, and wanted to just say "hi" to all the audio/video enthusiasts here, be they newbies or experts. I'm not new to audio/video - I've been an "audiophile" for over 30 years. Began with true home theatre in 1991. My current equipment is somewhat "dated" compared to much of the stuff being discussed here, but that's OK. We enjoy it very much. Here's a list of current equipment:

Pioneer VSX-D1S (5.1 Surround/AV Receiver)
Carver TFM-42 (750 Watts RMS Stereo Amp)
Infinity Kappa 9s (Main Speaker Pair)
Infinty Beta C250 (Center Speaker)
Carver TS441s (Rear Speaker Pair)
Sony KP-53HS30 (Rear Proj TV)
JVC DR-MV5S (VHS/DVD-Recorder)
Pioneer DV-343 (DVD Player)
ProScan PSVR87 (Super VHS VCR)
Pioneer CLD-2730K (Laser Disc Player)
Pioneer PDM-910 (6-Disc CD Changer)
Pioneer GR-777 (Programmable Graphic EQ)
Nakamichi CR-1A (Single Cassette Recorder)
Pioneer DT-555 (Timer/System Controller)

In addition, I use an Apple 17" MacBook Pro and Apple's Airport Express to stream audio to the AV receiver from anywhere in the house. We will probably acquire an AppleTV to extend these "live streaming" capabilities to the video side of things soon. The only other thing that we're contemplating adding in the near future is an XM Home Receiver. Since my '06 HHR came equipped with XM, a "Roadie" type unit will probably be best, so the Mrs. can enjoy XM in her car as well. (GRIN)

Finally, we're in the process of building a new home, and a "Whole House Tech Wiring" package is part of the options being built in during construction. This includes 5.1 wiring in the living room, where all of the current HT equipment will be installed.

I welcome comments/suggestions.

Cheers!

If they will do 5.1 wiring, why not add 2 more wires to get 7.1 which should be much better with the newer audio tracks coming out on the newer HD and blu-ray DVD's. The extra wires shouldn't cost much. However builder will probaby want to charge an extra $200 since it will be much harder to do this later on, unless you have good access from the basement. May be he will let you run the wires yourself (and maybe he will also give you two free speakers at the same time).
Good luck.