Edirol MA-15D vs. Bose Wave Radio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Edirol MA-15D vs. Bose Wave Radio

Tumble
04-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Hello. I currently have an original Bose Wave Radio hooked up to my computer for sound output. I'm considering buying the Edirol MA-15D system because I want stereo separation and magnetic shielding. Has anyone heard both of these systems and can tell me the difference between the two? I don't want to spend $180 on a downgrade. I'm interested in whether the highs are clearer (or at least as clear) on the Edirol system when compared to the Wave Radio. My computer does have s/pdif output.

Or perhaps I should be considering something else entirely. Does anyone know of a system that has:

2.0 or 2.1 speakers
s/pdif input
magnetic shielding
price less than $300
an infrared remote control (something the Wave Radio has that I'll miss with the Edirol MA-15D)

spf
04-25-2007, 03:40 AM
Hey Tumble,

The Edirol MA-15D are a well built little 2.0 system from Roland. They have good clean highs but are lacking in the bass frequencies. You may want to go to the MA-20D in that line in order to get more bass out of your system. Some other brand options for you could be some of the actual 2.1 computer speaker systems out there like the Logitech Z2300 ($120 US) or the Edifier S2.1D ($90 - $100). Both of these have a fuller frequency range (because of the included subwoofer) and sound decent for a computer setup. These both have corded remotes as well. Hope this helps.

Shane

basite
04-25-2007, 07:23 AM
or you could save on a little, and buy an integrated amp, or a receiver and a pair of better speakers.

or you could go the vintage route, there must be some garage sales/thrift stores/goodwill out there that have some decent vintage speakers and receivers. with a bit of luck (and possebly repairing/restorating) you'd have a system that would beat the hell out of the edirols, or any other cheap monitor, maybe even better speakers.

Good luck
& happy hunting,
Bert.

Tumble
04-26-2007, 07:25 PM
The Edifier S2.1D looks really good. It has digital input, and even the subwoofer is magnetically shielded. The only thing it's missing is an unwired remote (I like being able to adjust the volume when I'm not at my desk). The price is amazing. I wonder if any stores in my area have one on the shelf.

As for building my own system, I'm probably better off sticking to an all-in-one product. Electricity's just not my thing, at least not yet. I should read the second half of my old physics textbook first.

Peter

herm0016
04-28-2007, 12:59 PM
you should think about buying a receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers. just have to plug them in together. the sound will be a lot better and you will be able to use it for other things in the future. i have a Yamaha receiver and a pair of infinity primus 150s hooked to my computer. this summer it will turn into an ht system.