speaker manufacturer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker manufacturer

anjay73
04-20-2007, 09:07 PM
US,Canada or Uk/Europe speaker manufacturer.....anybody can comment which country produce best speaker.

anamorphic96
04-20-2007, 09:28 PM
You're asking a question with no definitive answer. All the countries you listed have companies that produce amazing loudspeakers.

Speakers are a very subjective thing. There is no best speaker company. What one man thinks is golden could sound like crap to the next guy.

Go with the speakers YOUR ears like.

Peter Duminy
04-23-2007, 06:35 PM
In the 1960s, '70s and early '80s, the U.K. and USA teded to produce more Hi-Fi loudspeakers perhaps , giving them a greater market share and fame. Nowadays, so many Companies one would think to be U.K. or North American owned are under huge corporate umbrellas, many based in China. For example, Whafedale, Mission, and Quad to name just a few, are owned by IAG in China. Also these days, so much of the R&D is shared between Companies worldwide.

In this day and age, it is the sound quality that really matters, not the speaker Company's geographical origin of design and assembly.

Mr Peabody
04-23-2007, 07:33 PM
If you ask me, and you did, one of the best speakers in the world, Dynaudio, is built in Denmark. Dynaudio manufactures every part of the speaker from the driver to the cabinet.

I generally am not a fan of British speakers. Sorry guys, you have some nice electronics but I'm not a fan of your speakers.

I also like Martin Logan a lot which is an American company. Klipsch was an American company but I'm not sure if they still are. I'm not a fan of their speakers either. Geez, is Bose still built in the U.S.? Some one add some decent speakers to the American column, except for Martin Logan, we are looking bad.

I haven't heard any of their Signature series but for the money, Canada's, Paradigm Studio series is decent.

anamorphic96
04-23-2007, 08:07 PM
If you ask me, and you did, one of the best speakers in the world, Dynaudio, is built in Denmark. Dynaudio manufactures every part of the speaker from the driver to the cabinet.

I generally am not a fan of British speakers. Sorry guys, you have some nice electronics but I'm not a fan of your speakers.

I also like Martin Logan a lot which is an American company. Klipsch was an American company but I'm not sure if they still are. I'm not a fan of their speakers either. Geez, is Bose still built in the U.S.? Some one add some decent speakers to the American column, except for Martin Logan, we are looking bad.

I haven't heard any of their Signature series but for the money, Canada's, Paradigm Studio series is decent.

Klipsch is still very much an american company. They also own API (Energy, Athena, and Mirage). They also own Jamo.

Klipsch is great for HT but for anything else I don't care for them to much as well. Unless your throwing a big house party and need some serious SPL's.

PeruvianSkies
04-23-2007, 08:16 PM
US,Canada or Uk/Europe speaker manufacturer.....anybody can comment which country produce best speaker.

These speakers are by far the best and can be found in hostile countries still....

Carl Reid
04-24-2007, 06:24 AM
Some one add some decent speakers to the American column, except for Martin Logan, we are looking bad.

Revel

emorphien
04-24-2007, 07:08 AM
Some one add some decent speakers to the American column, except for Martin Logan, we are looking bad.
There are tons of good, small brands, but every country has those.

I'll add:
Magnepan
NHT (why not?)
Thiel

there are more, to be sure

I don't know if Von Schweikert falls under the big name list, but I'll add them too.
Is Gallo a US brand?

oh hey look what I found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_loudspeaker_manufacturers

basite
04-24-2007, 07:13 AM
I'll add:
Thiel, Avalon, Wilson...

emorphien
04-24-2007, 07:18 AM
we also always have Bose to thank the US for!

GMichael
04-24-2007, 07:43 AM
This is kind of like asking what the absolute best flavor of ice cream is.

Mr Peabody
04-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Subjective to be sure but still some how intrigueing.

Jamo used to be Danish as well, I didn't know they were bought by Klipsch. I'll have to check that out.

I've never been a fan of passive radiators but Thiel did strike me as having a very sweet sound.

The only Revel I heard was a $10k pair driven by Levinson a few years back and to say I was underwhelmed would be an under statement. Plus, I don't think anything owned by Harmon is American. Last I knew Harmon is Japanese. I hated to see American Icons like Levinson and McIntosh end up in foreign ownership. But, that's another thread.