Speaker Comparison [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Comparison

bobbybob1
04-20-2007, 07:24 PM
I have been listening to my Snell Acoustics Type E 2's since 1986 but I know that
Technology marches on so I went to a Totem Distributor. I liked them but until you
can compare them to what you're used to it's hard to decide. I asked the salesman
(he's also the owner) if I could bring in my Snells to do an A/B test and he said "no."
It's a small store with very few customers, I felt he was demonstrating poor Customer
Service and I did not go back.. What say you?

canuckle
04-20-2007, 07:56 PM
I say that if a retailer won't let you bring in your own speakers to do a comparison, then you need a different retailer.

dingus
04-20-2007, 08:53 PM
better yet, see if you can take the speakers from the store for an in home demo. you'll get a much better idea of what you are buying when you know how they sound in your room and on your equipment.

Feanor
04-21-2007, 03:27 AM
better yet, see if you can take the speakers from the store for an in home demo. you'll get a much better idea of what you are buying when you know how they sound in your room and on your equipment.

Listening in your own system is the only way to tell for sure. There are still dealers who will loan speakers for a day or so to a potential customer. Many of these will insist that you run the price through on your credit card, but that's no so bad if you can return for full refund. Of course, it's unreasonable to expect to do this for halve a dozen different speakers.

bobsticks
04-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Hey bobbybob,
Welcome to the AR forums.

The only way to really be sure if a piece of gear is going to be the next big thing for your system is a home demo. As stated, any good dealer will allow you one. Once you develop a relationship they generally become much more agreeable. Frankly you can't blame them much at the beginning--they're just protecting their own investment.

My own experience has been that once I became a known commodity around the place the guys have been quite forthcoming, often calling or e-mailing when new gear comes in that I should give a go.

God luck and have fun with it.

drseid
04-22-2007, 01:15 AM
I have been listening to my Snell Acoustics Type E 2's since 1986 but I know that
Technology marches on so I went to a Totem Distributor. I liked them but until you
can compare them to what you're used to it's hard to decide. I asked the salesman
(he's also the owner) if I could bring in my Snells to do an A/B test and he said "no."
It's a small store with very few customers, I felt he was demonstrating poor Customer
Service and I did not go back.. What say you?

While I agree with the other responders who recommend a home audition as opposed to you bringing your speakers to the dealer... That said, any dealer who won't let you do as you proposed (which costs them nothing and has little risk to them if any) is not worth you doing business with IMO. I would find another dealer.

---Dave

igneous
05-01-2007, 05:51 AM
the guy prolly thinks your just a blow-hard and don't want another customer to walk in right when your speakers are blowing his away

kexodusc
05-01-2007, 07:10 AM
I've been pretty lucky, never met a dealer who wouldn't compromise at least and work something out. I had to put deposits on several speakers and a few receivers over the years just so they knew I wouldn't bolt with them. But that's fair IMO. Full refund when returned.
I've brought my own gear to a store twice (I much prefer bringing it home for demos), but those were to show the dealer my speakers to satisfy his curiousity. Can't imagine why he wouldn't work with you on that.
I'd say find another dealer, one who will treat you better.