stereo speaker suggestions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : stereo speaker suggestions

ssf
04-20-2007, 03:49 PM
i am just getting into budget hi-fi, and recently picked up a rotel RCD-02 cd player and an adcom GFA-5200 amp. i am looking at speakers priced from $500-$750. i am thinking bookshelf speakers, but i dont want to sell myself short in the long run. i am planning on doing simple stereo listening (i already have a surround setup). i listen to a variety of music, from soul to rock to metal to hip-hop to reggae/dancehall... you get the picture. however, clarity and detail mean a lot to me. any suggestions? also, any suggestions on a preamp? i'm thinking bout sticking with adcom to match...

RoyY51
04-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Let me be the first to recommend Monitor Audio. I own the very detailed Bronze B2's ($399 pr. retail) but I have consistently seen reviews that state that the Silver series is even more detailed...and should fit nicely into your budget. The Monitor line also has surprisingly good bass (42 hz from the B2's) for a bookshelf speaker.

Happy Hunting!

tahoe joe
04-20-2007, 05:30 PM
...and let me be the second to recommend Monitor Audio. I also have a simple stereo setup, with my main concern being quality music reproduction. I have the Silver rs6, and they are absolutely fantastic. If you are set on bookshelf rather than floorstanders, have a listen to the rs1's. Then again, if you want 2 speakers to do it all and be done with it, I would highly recommend the rs6's. I found a pair on audiogon for $750.

L.J.
04-20-2007, 05:58 PM
SSF, I would suggest that you find a local audio/speaker dealer or two in your area and bring your favorite cd's and do some listening. You should get plenty of speaker recommendations for auditioning from the fellas here.

ssf
04-22-2007, 08:58 PM
thanks for the input guys. i ended up going with some PSB IMAGE B25's. i'll let you know how they turn out.

Luvin Da Blues
04-22-2007, 09:57 PM
thanks for the input guys. i ended up going with some PSB IMAGE B25's. i'll let you know how they turn out.

Excellent choice, you won't be disappointed.:cornut: