Brutal sound with detail? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Brutal sound with detail?

Rumour
04-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Hi. The first thing: I do not speak English, I am sorry about the mistakes.

I am writing in forums searching for bookshelf speakers with front port reflex. I hear Metal, Thrash, Hardcore, Industrial...I want speakers with body, totally "in your face" sound but with some detail too. What speakers could I try? I only had heard Dynaudio Audience 52SE, Epos M12.2, Quad 12L...They're very detailed and neutral but I need punch at the same time. I'm tired of the thin sound. This time I want punch. Thank you very much.

basite
04-20-2007, 01:28 PM
what's your budget?
for those genres (not that I like them that much, but still) you could use some decent low end too, you could try a sub for that, but you could also go to floorstanders.

try monitor audio, B&W, Focal,...

what are you using to drive the speakers?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Rumour
04-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Budget: around 800 $.
I'm using a NAD C352

anamorphic96
04-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Some Klipsch RB83's might do the trick. B&W 602 S3's would be another choice.

Mr Peabody
04-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Something was wrong if you didn't get punch from the Dynaudio. With the current to drive them, they have some of the best bass response I've heard. You may want to listen to your system with the addition of a subwoofer. I'm not so sure it's really "punch" you are looking for.

Rumour
04-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Something was wrong if you didn't get punch from the Dynaudio. With the current to drive them, they have some of the best bass response I've heard. You may want to listen to your system with the addition of a subwoofer. I'm not so sure it's really "punch" you are looking for.
Yes, the 52SE have bass, but for my taste they are speakers with a neutral sound, too laid back. Sorry, I try to explain a sound in english and It's hard to me... :confused5:

Luvin Da Blues
04-20-2007, 04:10 PM
The Infinity Beta 20s are a punchy little speaker in your price range but are rear ported.

Mr Peabody
04-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Rumor, if there, is, a language that allows us to describe audio, we all need to learn it. We all struggle with trying to describe what we hear, or looking for in sound quality, it's not just you. Welcome to the forum.

I'd say the Klipsch suggestion may be a good one to follow up on to see what you think. In addition to being aggressive, they play loud with not much power.

likeitloud
04-20-2007, 06:41 PM
Want in your face rock speakers, go vintage, jbl monitors(take your pick) pioneer hpm's
Yamaha ns10, etc. All front ported, all built for one thing, Crank'n rock n roll.

dingus
04-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Wharfedale Pacific Evolution 10 bookshelf speakers sound like what you are looking for. the sound is very forward with lots of impact and dynamics, detail borders on brutal. they are no longer made but the Wharfedale Evo series is the successor to the Pacific line. i would expect the Evo to share much of the Pacific's character.

basite
04-21-2007, 02:36 AM
vintage is a good option too, they may need restoration, but that's a fun thing to do.
otherwise, the klipsh is a good choice too :)

just don't blow the drivers with vintage speakers, replacements are getting harder to find, and are pretty expensive...

Good luck,
Bert.

superdougiefreshness
04-22-2007, 04:02 AM
Want in your face rock speakers, go vintage, jbl monitors(take your pick) pioneer hpm's
Yamaha ns10, etc. All front ported, all built for one thing, Crank'n rock n roll.

Dude,
Vintage speakers are awesome and great fun on a budget.
I have medium sized british bookshelve classics by Celestion for use with jazz, acoustical, chamber and classical listening. But if you want to really rock out I have a vintage pair of Pioneer HPM60's and they are perfect for rock and trance. Although I would add a subwoofer to get the really deep bass that trance and house music has that is so much lower due to synth use in the recordings. Also watch for fried drivers, they can be found but hard to match on older speakers. I had to replace by mids on the Pioneers when I got them and I just love there sound..........

Have a good time in thrift stores and e-bay for great buys.......try craigs list as well...

Good Luck
:ihih:

hydroman
04-23-2007, 12:00 PM
X2 for the JBLs. Bass kick and clean highs. Relatively efficient so they sound good on the system and capable enough for the upgraded system as well. Me? Put a circuit breaker or fuse to protect them from over-zealous partiers, eh?

Nothing like a pair of big honkin' woofers pounding the room, eh? I SAID, NOTHING LIKE A PAIR OF ...oh never mind!

likeitloud
04-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Dude,
Vintage speakers are awesome and great fun on a budget.
I have medium sized british bookshelve classics by Celestion for use with jazz, acoustical, chamber and classical listening. But if you want to really rock out I have a vintage pair of Pioneer HPM60's and they are perfect for rock and trance. Although I would add a subwoofer to get the really deep bass that trance and house music has that is so much lower due to synth use in the recordings. Also watch for fried drivers, they can be found but hard to match on older speakers. I had to replace by mids on the Pioneers when I got them and I just love there sound..........

Have a good time in thrift stores and e-bay for great buys.......try craigs list as well...

Good Luck
:ihih:

Yes, Know all about HPM 60's, I abuse there big brothers daily.

superdougiefreshness
04-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Yes, Know all about HPM 60's, I abuse there big brothers daily.

Those must be the HPM-100's - yeah ? I wonder if they sound much different then my HPM-60's, if I had them in original form; see below

I just hooked my Pioneer HPM60's back up to a different receiver for the first time in about 4 to 5 months and I could not believe how bright the sound was. They really have a crisp and extended high end. I wish I had found a match for the midrange drivers when I first got my pioneers. You see, one of my midrange drivers on the Pioneers was blown so I just went into the closet and pulled a pair of midrange drivers that were the same size from a different set of speakers that were of a lower grade of sound quality and through them into my HPM's. The sound was less quality but at least back on line and not as brilliant as before. At least I have that great bass that the Pioneer's can create. I thought no one had speakers that were this old that they listened to on a regular basis. I just love them and think maybe I should get the matching midrange for my HPM-60's and get them back to the original sound they were made for. I am glad I kept the one midrange that worked so that I can at some time get a match and repair the set to original order; great project to work on.

Later
Doug :idea:

likeitloud
04-24-2007, 06:03 AM
That pic is the front cover of pioneers ad run in mags in the late 70's, and can be found
online, I'll dig up the web address. It was also on the cover of the service manual.
Midrange drivers for HPM 60's are on Ebay almost daily, BTW those drivers are
the same for HPM 100/60 and 40. Vintage speakers are being restored and used
daily by many many audio freaks, JBL's of course are in high demand, AR's Dalquist,
and there is a tightly wound group of outright fanatics for HPM100's. And why not,
Bass that will blow the heater vents of the wall, smooth mids, very detailed highs. Get
a pair, re-cap them, throw some power at them, and it's time to rock. There on ebay from
time to time, I've seen a pair go for as little as $200 and as much as $500. Be advised
these weigh 60lbs each, so plan accordingly.

superdougiefreshness
04-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi. The first thing: I do not speak English, I am sorry about the mistakes.

I am writing in forums searching for bookshelf speakers with front port reflex. I hear Metal, Thrash, Hardcore, Industrial...I want speakers with body, totally "in your face" sound but with some detail too. What speakers could I try? I only had heard Dynaudio Audience 52SE, Epos M12.2, Quad 12L...They're very detailed and neutral but I need punch at the same time. I'm tired of the thin sound. This time I want punch. Thank you very much.

Hey Rumour,
I hope you read our comments on this thread about the vintage gear you could pickup.
I can't say enough about the great sound you could get for a great price if you consider vintage speakers. Now don't get me wrong some speakers you could buy now are far superior in detail then any of the older stuff from the 70's and the 80's, yet you could be very satisfied if you were to consider a great older pair of Pioneer or JBL or Carwin Vega's from the 70's or 80's. The sound is very large and lots of bass that is really great for a great price. Try the link here and let me know what you think, I own this exact pair and just love the sound and I paid $60us.I also have far better speakers for other types of music but for what your looking for this is just one example. Let us know what your search turns up, and welcome to the forum I am fairly new here myself.

http://members.aol.com/KDresch/hpm-60.html

Doug :incazzato:

Mr Peabody
04-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey, how long did Pioneer make the HPM series? I had a pair of, I think HPM-100's, they were 10" 3-way with a super tweeter and had "Mid" and "high" level controls on the back. I got them in the mid 80's. They were alright with a receiver but I blew the woofers off the baskets with a Kenwood integrated. They don't handle big power. It was my fault, the Kenwood was a true 150 watts into 8 ohms. I only bring this up because if I had the same HPM's they are pretty good but within their power rating.

superdougiefreshness
04-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Hey, how long did Pioneer make the HPM series? I had a pair of, I think HPM-100's, they were 10" 3-way with a super tweeter and had "Mid" and "high" level controls on the back. I got them in the mid 80's. They were alright with a receiver but I blew the woofers off the baskets with a Kenwood integrated. They don't handle big power. It was my fault, the Kenwood was a true 150 watts into 8 ohms. I only bring this up because if I had the same HPM's they are pretty good but within their power rating.

Yeah, some have said that the HPM's were made only for three years from 1977-79, and they had little change for there manufacturing run time. Now I have also heard that you can interchange the midrange and super tweeter drivers between the 40's,60's and 100's. I am aware that the major difference was the power handling and woofer size, which explains the interchangeable mids and super tweets. I have the HPM-60's and only throw about 40 watts at them they have what appears to be a 8" bass driver. Now I have a very small listening area and that is more then enough sound for me to blow the rafters off. And the only time I would really crank em up is if the guy upstairs is out of town, and have indeed cranked em up on occasion. This space I live in is so small that I could not truly enjoy what they are capable of unless I could distance myself from the enclosures. They have great bass for this small space though. I don't even need a sub for watching movies because the bass us enough - for now anyway. I LOVE THEM AND ONLY PAID $60BUCKS DUDE. THEY JUST BLOW LIKE HELL IF I WANT THEM TOO. I am using the NAD 7140 receiver to power them so I could not really hurt them even if i wanted to. They actually do really good with modern Cd's because of the super tweeter's, very crisp and deep sounding.

Thanks for the vintage feedback - some day I will have grownup rock and roll speakers, LOL

Later
Doug

:cornut:

Mr Peabody
04-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Another cool speaker from the same era is a 10" 2-way from the Zenith Allegro. I haven't heard them in years to compare them to anything today, but I remember being impressed by them when hooked to my receiver. I couldn't believe they were Zenith. They have heavy solid cabinets and rocked. If I remember, I believe they were a sealed enclosure.

You sure couldn't get hurt for $60.00..