Fiber optic [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fiber optic

parapa05
04-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Good day,
I'm new at this and I just got a used JVC rx-6042 and I cannot get the fiber optic cable ( already connected to work. it is connected between my Sat. receiver and tha AV receiver, I know it is connected into the right places.
Any ideas.
Please help:confused5:

orgasmdonor
04-19-2007, 03:07 PM
My receiver has a digital source switch. I can switch from analog to coax to fiber optic. Check your owner's manual if you have one. Unfortunately in my past experiences the solder can go bad from heat over time and negate the source to work. My Harman Kardon is known for this. They do a bad job in the factory soldering. I had to send it in and had to have all my DAC connections re-solderd because I could no longer receive a digital signal. My unit would only run in analog. Lucky for me my receiver has a nice factory warranty and Harman has a quick repair time. Hope this may help. Your cable may also be junk. Or your sat receiver's input could be bad. Try a digiatl coax cable if you have the inputs and see if that works.

parapa05
04-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Well the cable is good and so is therest of the system, a friend tried the cable at his place ok, what he explained to me is that some receivers you need to set it up for the AV to know where that signal comes from???:confused5:

Luvin Da Blues
04-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Well the cable is good and so is therest of the system, a friend tried the cable at his place ok, what he explained to me is that some receivers you need to set it up for the AV to know where that signal comes from???:confused5:

If it's anything like my Denon receiver (which has 2 coaxial and 5 optical inputs) you need to assign the digital inputs to the source.

Check out the manual or on screen display. Hope this helps.:16:

L.J.
04-19-2007, 05:36 PM
My brother called me recently with this same problem. He had someone else hook up his system and doesn't even know what a FO cable is. His cable got pulled out by accident. I had him just go through his sources until sound came on. In other words, I just had him press tv, dvd, dbs, cd (you get the point) until sound popped on. Temporary solution until I drop by his house.

As others have mentioned, make sure you select digital on your digital/analog switch. This happened to him as well and pressing over from analog to digital solved that.

PeruvianSkies
04-19-2007, 08:17 PM

Every receiver that I have ever messed with, installed, owned, etc etc has had some way of programming the inputs, so you have to tell the receiver which component is using Coax 1, Coax 2, Optical 1, Optical 2. This is called "assignment" of the inputs. You probably need to do the same if you are connected video through the receiver.

GMichael
04-20-2007, 07:21 AM
You may have to select what input you are using on the receiver. Also may need to pick the type of input to be digi. Not as common, but you may need to select the output on your cable box.
Seems to me that this should all be automatic but well.... here we are.

AVMASTER
04-20-2007, 11:34 AM
the JVC receivers are decent but not that easy to set-up. You will need to connect your satellite reciever to the second optical connection. In your receivers basic set-up menu, you will have to toggle through pre-set assignments for digital inputs; select the pre-set with TV as the second optical connection. Your satellite sound will now play when your receiver is switched to TV as a source