So why would a thread by "closed"? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So why would a thread by "closed"?

Swish
04-19-2007, 01:13 PM
How's that Stone?!

Swish

Dusty Chalk
04-19-2007, 01:19 PM
I was just about to make a response on the off-topic Led Zeppelin subtopic in the Audioslave thread when I noticed I couldn't...In that case, it was probably closed by the thread-starter.

Swish
04-19-2007, 01:25 PM
In that case, it was probably closed by the thread-starter.

...then that is about the biggest wussie move I've ever seen. Perhaps I'll start a Led Zep thread so we can bash them to our hearts' content? :ciappa:

Swish

Stone
04-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Just change the title of this thread, and I'll start.

F*%K LED ZEPPELIN, and their thieving ways.

Swish
04-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Just change the title of this thread, and I'll start.

F<a></a>UCK LED ZEPPELIN, and their thieving ways.

Thanks for the wonerful suggestion. :ihih:

Swish

nobody
04-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Yes, I too hate Led Zepplin.

They should be killed, burned and killed again...even the already dead ones.

GMichael
04-20-2007, 07:44 AM
Not for nothin', but this is a familly forum. Please edit the F..k out of it.

Personaly, I like Led Zep. But if you don't, I think you shouldn't listen to it.

nobody
04-20-2007, 07:51 AM
I only mean it in the nicest possible way...I"m sure I love to listen to something or another that everyone on here hates.

GMichael
04-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Yes, I too hate Led Zepplin.

They should be killed, burned and killed again...even the already dead ones.

And then clone them from the ashes so you could kill or burn all the clones?

nobody
04-20-2007, 07:57 AM
good idea

GMichael
04-20-2007, 08:04 AM
good idea

That's a lot of hate. Did they spit on you at a concert or something?
Don't get me wrong, although I like them, I'm not a die hard fan or anything. Just wondering why you hate them so much. Maybe a stack of their records fell on your cat?

nobody
04-20-2007, 08:22 AM
They're just one of those bands that I never liked and have gotten annoyed with hearing people talk about them as if they are so amazing. To me, virtually none of their material has had the slightest appeal. Yet, I have heard countless people ramble on endlessley about how fabulous they are. It just bugs me.

And, personally, I don't even care how much of their material they ripped off. I just never liked the final product, ponderous, overblown rock star bul**** and about the perfect symbol of things I dislike in music.

Of course, I find Van Halen even more detestable, but that's another thread for another day.

GMichael
04-20-2007, 08:27 AM
They're just one of those bands that I never liked and have gotten annoyed with hearing people talk about them as if they are so amazing. To me, virtually none of their material has had the slightest appeal. Yet, I have heard countless people ramble on endlessley about how fabulous they are. It just bugs me.

And, personally, I don't even care how much of their material they ripped off. I just never liked the final product, ponderous, overblown rock star bul**** and about the perfect symbol of things I dislike in music.

Of course, I find Van Halen even more detestable, but that's another thread for another day.

OMG! You don't like Led Zep OR VH. That's just.. just... freakin' human! How dare you not like the same things I do? Next thing you'll say is that you don't like chocolate.

Ooops, sorry. No problem. Everyone likes different stuff. Just as long as you like Rush. You DO like Rush don't you? If you don't, well, I'm just not gonna play any for you. What do you think of that?:ciappa:

nobody
04-20-2007, 08:44 AM
I wouldn't ay I "like" Rush, but I like 'em better than Zepllin or Van Halen.

But, considering I like <a href="http://www.stthomas1976.net/flipper/sounds/BL_what's_your_name.mp3">Flipper</a>, I have no reason to condemn anyone else's taste in music...except that its fun.

GMichael
04-20-2007, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't ay I "like" Rush, but I like 'em better than Zepllin or Van Halen.

But, considering I like <a href="http://www.stthomas1976.net/flipper/sounds/BL_what's_your_name.mp3">Flipper</a>, I have no reason to condemn anyone else's taste in music...except that its fun.

Flipper huh? Different, I'll give ya that.

MindGoneHaywire
04-20-2007, 09:02 AM
I don't hate Led Zeppelin or DLR VH, but I was long sick of both a long time ago. If anything, I've come to rediscover an appreciation for the early VH stuff. I won't mention the other band.

Some of us grew up in a time when the unquestioned superiority of these bands was legion, common knowledge, a rule we all had to obey. And other bands. People actually thinking for themselves was mocked. I liked plenty of the 'accepted' bands, but most of the time, not enough. And quite a few people dismissed the Beatles as being not as good.

Check, please.

When it comes to the issue of Led Zep & the question of influence and/or thievery of old blues artists? True on all counts: in some cases, it'd be hard to say there was more than an influence, even if a strong one; in others, there was in fact outright thievery where the only difference between the original & the LZ version was that the LZ version had a slightly different arrangement--louder, and perhaps a bass guitar where there had been none on the original recording. But, as DC pointed out, the Lemon Song is a good example of out-and-out larceny. Others, they may have 'made their own,' but not that one, with the exception of...what? The solo?

I saw a reaction on the locked thread that seemed surprised by such an allegation. Well...it's probably more true than a diehard LZ fan would like to admit. That doesn't mean they didn't come up with some very notable stuff that was original, but they did develop a reputation for being pretty shameless about ripping off old bluesmen. What I don't know--and I'm just tired of the whole thing, 23 years after reading Hammer Of The Gods--is who was controlling the publishing of the songs they did get sued for. Because it's one thing to imagine old bluesmen not understanding what was going on, or what their rights were, but if they were controlled by outfits such as Chess, then it's difficult to imagine that they would've waited long to file suits on these. What was Chess' publishing arm, Arc? On the other hand, they probably had to wait until the records showed an actual profit--and, given Ertegun's savvy, with the use of creative accounting, that may well have taken some time, so who knows.

I don't. And I'll still spin a LZ rec maybe once a year, probably Houses Of The Holy. But I'd live very well if I never, ever again heard another song of theirs, whether they really wrote it or not.

nobody
04-20-2007, 09:07 AM
I'll even take Van Hagar over the Roth years...spandex clad monkey boy.

Stone
04-20-2007, 09:36 AM
How's that Stone?!

Swish

Excellent, excellent job.

Stone
04-20-2007, 09:37 AM

Isnīt life a blast?
Itīs just like living in the past.

nobody
04-20-2007, 09:44 AM
HaHaHaHaHaHaHa
HoHoHoHoHoHoHo
HeeHeeHeeHeeHeeHeeHee
HaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Duds
04-20-2007, 09:49 AM
I can't even remember the last time i took out a zeppelin cd to listen to. totally over them, maybe listened to them too much in college or something.

and Van Hagar absolutely sucks....

Rae
04-20-2007, 09:50 AM
I got no problem with Flipper. Their songs rhyme and they play them in time.

Actually, it might be a little private fantasy of mine to start a cover band that plays only a 45-minute version of "Sex Bomb"...

You guys confuse me when you revise yr posts before I've even read them the first time. Y'all edited the **** out of this thread.

~Rae

Rae
04-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Oh, and Zeppelin Rules. I'm surprised you guys didn't remember that.

~Rae

Swish
04-20-2007, 10:08 AM
What I don't know--and I'm just tired of the whole thing, 23 years after reading Hammer Of The Gods--is who was controlling the publishing of the songs they did get sued for. Because it's one thing to imagine old bluesmen not understanding what was going on, or what their rights were, but if they were controlled by outfits such as Chess, then it's difficult to imagine that they would've waited long to file suits on these. What was Chess' publishing arm, Arc? On the other hand, they probably had to wait until the records showed an actual profit--and, given Ertegun's savvy, with the use of creative accounting, that may well have taken some time, so who knows.

But I'd live very well if I never, ever again heard another song of theirs, whether they really wrote it or not.

...but mostly. I mentioned the Randy California/Spirit (they would never be considered 'old bluesmen') song called "Taurus" that clearly "inspired" that monster hit Stairway to Heaven, which I detest as much as almost any song I can think of off the top. I don't know why they waited so long to sue LZ either, but they did, and I thought that was about 23 years later, although I don't have the facts to back it up.

Spirit toured with Zeppelin in 1968-69 and released a self-titled album featuring their hit Fresh Garbage and the aforementioned Taurus three years before Led Zeppelin IV, which contains Stairway To Heaven. The intro to Taurus and the intro to Stairway use the same basic guitar melody, meaning Jimmy Page ripped off Randy California while they toured together. It's too similar to be merely an 'influence', and anyone who denies it has their head up their arse.

Swish

Swish
04-20-2007, 10:18 AM
I got no problem with Flipper. Their songs rhyme and they play them in time.

Actually, it might be a little private fantasy of mine to start a cover band that plays only a 45-minute version of "Sex Bomb"...

You guys confuse me when you revise yr posts before I've even read them the first time. Y'all edited the **** out of this thread.

~Rae

...thanks for the math comp (haven't spun it yet, but I was on the road all week), and secondly, I only changed the title. I was mentioning how I never saw a "closed" thread in all my years on RR. I was referring to the Rich-in-Texas thread about Audioslave in which he mentioned Led Zep, to which I ripped into them for ripping off most of their best songs. I guess he didn't like what was happening so he closed the thread...at least that's what appears to have happened per Dusty Chalk's response. Stone suggested I change the title of my new thread to....you know the rest...and I did change it.

Feel better now?

Swish Baby

Dusty Chalk
04-20-2007, 11:20 AM
So would it be considered thread-crapping if I said I like Led Zeppelin? A lot? 'cause I do. Despite my distaste for most things mainstream. I know, I'm weird, I'd probably like Flipper, too, and my fondness for Kylie Minogue is well-documented.

Good thing the music scene is not a contest. Hey, your band can beat up my band! Who cares? They're not fighting.

Stone
04-20-2007, 11:39 AM
F*#K THIS. I'm going to the record store, then home, and Led Zep WILL NOT be involved.

GMichael
04-20-2007, 11:51 AM
So would it be considered thread-crapping if I said I like Led Zeppelin? A lot? 'cause I do. Despite my distaste for most things mainstream. I know, I'm weird, I'd probably like Flipper, too, and my fondness for Kylie Minogue is well-documented.

Good thing the music scene is not a contest. Hey, your band can beat up my band! Who cares? They're not fighting.

Hey, I like all hot girl bands. With their steamy tight clothes and..... uh, I'll be right back.

Jim Clark
04-20-2007, 01:20 PM
If anyone is keeping an official count please put me down in the Led Zep blows column. Wasn't always that way. I tried to conform and bought a ton of albums including a bootleg. Never did really work out though. Thank gawd Devo, Depeche Mode, and Soft Cell rescued me from the evil. My kids have my Led Zep vinyl now. I don't even care if they take care of'm.

I will say that Rodrigo y Gabriella's cover of "Stairway" is freaking mesmerizing especially on DVD. Can't think of any good use for that song except in this instance. So I guess I have to give some credit where it's due.

Early VH, and by early I mean the first 2 albums, remain a guilty pleasure every couple of years or so. Back in 79 - 80 I didn't know any better. Kids are stupid.

jc

shokhead
04-21-2007, 06:05 AM
If anyone is keeping an official count please put me down in the Led Zep blows column. Wasn't always that way. I tried to conform and bought a ton of albums including a bootleg. Never did really work out though. Thank gawd Devo, Depeche Mode, and Soft Cell rescued me from the evil. My kids have my Led Zep vinyl now. I don't even care if they take care of'm.

I will say that Rodrigo y Gabriella's cover of "Stairway" is freaking mesmerizing especially on DVD. Can't think of any good use for that song except in this instance. So I guess I have to give some credit where it's due.

Early VH, and by early I mean the first 2 albums, remain a guilty pleasure every couple of years or so. Back in 79 - 80 I didn't know any better. Kids are stupid.

jc

Conform? Thats pretty lame. Dont buy anymore,leaves more for me to find.:5:

Rich-n-Texas
07-03-2007, 06:33 PM
...thanks for the math comp (haven't spun it yet, but I was on the road all week), and secondly, I only changed the title. I was mentioning how I never saw a "closed" thread in all my years on RR. I was referring to the Rich-in-Texas thread about Audioslave in which he mentioned Led Zep, to which I ripped into them for ripping off most of their best songs. I guess he didn't like what was happening so he closed the thread...at least that's what appears to have happened per Dusty Chalk's response. Stone suggested I change the title of my new thread to....you know the rest...and I did change it.

Feel better now?

Swish Baby
Maybe you're not as priveleged as I am. I closed it because I was talking about Audioslave. But because you have a hard-on for Led Zeppelin, a band I and millions of others enjoyed back in the day, it went off topic and since the tool was available, I used it.

So how old are you nobody? Were you alive in the 70's? Do you have any idea how it felt to live in that awesome decade? Or are you like Duds:

can't even remember the last time i took out a zeppelin cd to listen to. totally over them, maybe listened to them too much in college or something.
What year did you graduate college Duds?

Swish
07-04-2007, 04:45 AM
Maybe you're not as priveleged as I am. I closed it because I was talking about Audioslave. But because you have a hard-on for Led Zeppelin, a band I and millions of others enjoyed back in the day, it went off topic and since the tool was available, I used it.

So how old are you nobody? Were you alive in the 70's? Do you have any idea how it felt to live in that awesome decade? Or are you like Duds:

What year did you graduate college Duds?

I don't actually have an ax to grind for Led Zep, but when I found out about this it really ticked me off, hence my nasty post.

Swish

Rich-n-Texas
07-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Gee, it only took you three months to respond
Funny how it coincides with your latest Led Zeppelin rant, huh?

I don't actually have an ax to grind for Led Zep, but when I found out about this it really ticked me off, hence my nasty post.

Swish
Someone who takes over a thread to criticise a band, then brings it up three months later with a Howard Stern quote sounds like one with an axe to grind.

Swish
07-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Someone who takes over a thread to criticise a band, then brings it up three months later with a Howard Stern quote sounds like one with an axe to grind.

A friend sent me the audio clip from the Stern show that same day and I thought others on the RR board would be interested in hearing it, and I was right.

I used to like LZ, but classic rock does nothing for me these days. Like Brad H, I learned more than a few of their songs on guitar and (gulp) hate to admit that I can play 'Stairway to Heaven', not that I would care to! I also know that nice lead from Whole Lotta Love. No, I never hated them, I just hate that they didn't credit the people who wrote the songs.

I'm officially shelving this topic, but I'll certainly read any further comments made.

Swish

GMichael
07-05-2007, 10:33 AM
A friend sent me the audio clip from the Stern show that same day and I thought others on the RR board would be interested in hearing it, and I was right.

I used to like LZ, but classic rock does nothing for me these days. Like Brad H, I learned more than a few of their songs on guitar and (gulp) hate to admit that I can play 'Stairway to Heaven', not that I would care to! I also know that nice lead from Whole Lotta Love. No, I never hated them, I just hate that they didn't credit the people who wrote the songs.

I'm officially shelving this topic, but I'll certainly read any further comments made.

Swish

So, I could write anything I want? Maybe even mispel a word or so, and you wouldn't write back?

Rich-n-Texas
07-05-2007, 11:18 AM
"Maybe even mispel a word or so,"

That's a given. :biggrin5:

GMichael
07-05-2007, 11:24 AM
"Maybe even mispel a word or so,"

That's a given. :biggrin5:

Well, I thought it was funny.:rolleyes5: