Onkyo TXSR 804 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo TXSR 804

tronne
04-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to read this. After talking to Marantz and the repair shop I've determined that the SR-18U will cost more to fix than its worth to me. So I need all your help.

I'm interested in the Onkyo TXS804. Does anyone have it who can tell me anything about it?

My particular needs are this:
__________________________________________________ ____________
1 HDMI input (I have 5 HDMI devices but have a monoprice 5x1 switcher)
1 HDMI out that will send both video and audio bit streams
1 Component input that will upscale to HDMI (basically I want to run my Wii through it)
1 S-Video input that will be upscaled to HDMI (old Laser Disk player.. just can't part with the damn thing)
7.1 audio (and good rich deep audio like the Marantz produces)
THX2, all the standard codecs
Etc, etc, etc, basically this unit will be for a Home Theater 99.7329% of the time.

I don't need a lot of the extra fancy add-ons most of the top receivers seem to have (second and third room, XM, etc) but I want something that sounds good and covers everything I want to put into it (which means I have to accept a few features I'll never use based on how they bundle quality levels with extra features)

I'm running:
(4) Boston Accustics CR65, (2 front 2 rear)
(1) Boston Acoustics CRC 2-Way Center Channel
(1) a/d/s C10PS 10” Powered Subwoofer
(2) Definitive Technology BP-2X (dual pole sides)

Here are the questions:
Does this model fit the bill?
Is there a cheaper unit that will do everything I need but will still sound as good?
Does the HDMI bit stream signal produce the same audio quality/bandwidth to a unit such as this as a direct dedicated digital optical/coax input.
How well does a unit like this upscale? What can I expect from my S-Video source?

Any and all input is welcomed!

Tronne

Robert-The-Rambler
04-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to read this. After talking to Marantz and the repair shop I've determined that the SR-18U will cost more to fix than its worth to me. So I need all your help.

I'm interested in the Onkyo TXS804. Does anyone have it who can tell me anything about it?

My particular needs are this:
1 HDMI input (I have 5 HDMI devices but have a monoprice 5x1 switcher)
1 HDMI out that will send both video and audio bit streams
1 Component input that will upscale to HDMI (basically I want to run my Wii through it)
1 S-Video input that will be upscaled to HDMI (old Laser Disk player.. just can't part with the damn thing)
7.1 audio (and good rich deep audio like the Marantz produces)
THX2, all the standard codecs
Etc, etc, etc, basically this unit will be for a Home Theater 99.7329% of the time.

I don't need a lot of the extra fancy add-ons most of the top receivers seem to have (second and third room, XM, etc) but I want something that sounds good and covers everything I want to put into it (which means I have to accept a few features I'll never use based on how they bundle quality levels with extra features)

I'm running:
(4) Boston Accustics CR65, (2 front 2 rear)
(1) Boston Acoustics CRC 2-Way Center Channel
(1) a/d/s C10PS 10” Powered Subwoofer
(2) Definitive Technology BP-2X (dual pole sides)

Here are the questions:
Does this model fit the bill?
Is there a cheaper unit that will do everything I need but will still sound as good?
Does the HDMI bit stream signal produce the same audio quality/bandwidth to a unit such as this as a direct dedicated digital optical/coax input.
How well does a unit like this upscale? What can I expect from my S-Video source?

Any and all input is welcomed!

Tronne

It does everything I want in a receiver. It is fully compatible with lossless linear PCM via HDMI at both 96khz in muti-channel and 2 channel 192khz. HDMI 1.1 audio is key for me and is the next step ahead from coax/ toslink. I use external amps in the form of 8 Behringer EP2500s and watching V for Vendetta in Dolby True HD in pure digital format was great!!!! I use my Xbox via component converted to HDMI and the picture quality is just what you would expect. I can't comment on the internal amp as I don't use it but I think it should do just fine. You always have 7.1 pre-outs if you want to go the separates route. For the $800 or so street price it is full featured and generally future proof.