Did the PS Audio Quintet do anything for me...? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Did the PS Audio Quintet do anything for me...?

Mr Peabody
04-18-2007, 01:13 PM
It sure did. I tried a power conditioner from Transparent a couple years ago and I did not like the effect. One of Transparent's reps thought it may be my Krell drew too much current. I've been wanting to try it again and leaning toward PS Audio. Two things got me to leap, a special until 4/30 where the price is $200.00 less through www.amusicdirect.com, making it $495.00, and the Quintet is said not to limit the current. It uses pure copper rails instead of wire to each socket. PS Audio's Nano Crystaline filters sounded impressive as well. I had 30 days to try it and I really didn't have high expectations. This time I was surprised. This unit also has 2 cable/satelite inputs and 12v triggering. The outlets can be, all on, switched via 12v trigger or set to 3 second delay, or mixed.

When I turned my Toshiba 62" DLP on I noticed it was much brighter. I had to re-adjust the settings. The effect on my tube gear was incredible, the noise floor was lower, the bass was tighter, and due to lower noise the highs were improved and subtle sounds were easier to hear, the overall sound improved a noticeable degree. I had a slight buzz through my speakers when my preamp was switched to the one with my phono preamp. This is now gone. I believe my HT pre and power had improved but I haven't heard anything yet I was familiar enough to really know. I just hooked it up yesterday and have not played a LP yet. The Quintet is worth the money and a real deal at $200.00 less. I wanted to get my first impressions posted in case anyone else wanted to jump on the special. Hope to be back with more discoveries.

Feanor
04-18-2007, 03:02 PM
My experience with power conditioners hasn't really lead to better sound, though what I've had as probably provide some protect. Right now I'm using a Belkin Pure AV PD60
http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/System07Jan-powers.jpg

jrhymeammo
04-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Sounds too good to be true, but I do trust you.

I would love to hear your impression with your phono stage set to the highest gain setting. I dont think the noise floor is too much of an issue with your Sutherland, but it may give me an idea of what I can expect with mine.

btw, I never received my PSA DVD...

audio_dude
04-18-2007, 06:35 PM
wow, I always thought those monster power signal graphs at BB and Futureshop were just bs, but i guess they do hold a little truth in them.

PeruvianSkies
04-18-2007, 07:15 PM
My experience with power conditioners hasn't really lead to better sound, though what I've had as probably provide some protect. Right now I'm using a Belkin Pure AV PD60
http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/System07Jan-powers.jpg

I have two of the PF60's and I have them setup so that all my video components are going into the one and all the audio into the other. These units also have a high-current outlet, which my amps are plugged into. I have really enjoyed these units and recommend them highly as a starting point. I will eventually get the PS Audio Power Conditioners though.

Mr Peabody
04-19-2007, 01:16 PM
wow, I always thought those monster power signal graphs at BB and Futureshop were just bs, but i guess they do hold a little truth in them.

Not to say Monster wouldn't do anything, but I would not compare them to PS Audio products.

Mr Peabody
04-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Sounds too good to be true, but I do trust you.

I would love to hear your impression with your phono stage set to the highest gain setting. I dont think the noise floor is too much of an issue with your Sutherland, but it may give me an idea of what I can expect with mine.

btw, I never received my PSA DVD...

When I hooked up my phono stage I didn't notice a gain control. I've never had the cover off. I don't know if my use of noise is correct. The Ph-1p was never noticeably noisy but when I added an aftermarket power cord, the background was blacker and there was more air, or openness, to the soundstage. Sometimes I can hear in gear, what I can only describe as a congestion or sense of something between the instruments, I call this noise. It's not something you really notice until it's gone. I did put on a couple albums last night and it sounded good. I can't say if the Quintet did anything big there, because it did help my tube gear quite a bit. MD is still showing the DVD offer, you should email them to see if you are on the list.

jrhymeammo
05-08-2007, 06:37 PM
So I've been testing out PS Audio Duet in my very modest system since last friday.
Soon as I hooked it up, and the first thing came to mind was. "goddamn, this thing grips like hell!!!" Then I moved on..

Initially, I thought my system sounded dull and lifeless.Then the sound opened up real fast after about 15 minutes.
I didnt notice much improvement in bass area as such as Mr. Peabody did, but my 6.5" woofers can only produce so low. If anything, bass output on certain frequency decreased. Perhaps my tube amp is able to produce more linear signals?
Also, I did hear improvement in higher frequency. Highs became silker, and thought sound decayed smoother. You will notice differences, but you have to know how your system's capabilities and how it sounds.

I purchase this unit specifically for my phono pre amp. I was hoping this new country music/background noise I've been hearing was caused by the power outlet. PS Audio Duet wasnt a remedy I was hoping to be.

Yes, my crappy system was good enough to reveal improvements, but not quite sure if my system is good enough for PS Duet. It's only $300, but there are too many areas in my system that need improvments.. Dont think this "tweak" is what I'm looking for at my level. I think I need a small subwoofer instead.

I'll say this product oughtta be used in great systems that are plugged straight into wall outlets. If you are satisfied with your modest system, then you should look elsewhere, cuz you are satisfied. Right? I just had to try it out for myself, and Im glad I did.

btw, I never plugged in any digital source to the strip. Just my 2 TTs, tube phono pre, and pre integrated. Also, the manual recommends that users use sorbothane/isolation cones for the power strip. I didnt even bother with that. I'm still waiting on the DVD. It'll make a nice coaster, me thinks.

Mr Peabody
05-08-2007, 07:19 PM
You didn't notice the background being quieter or blacker? Before you return it, try it on some other things just to see what happens, you have 30 days. What gear are you using?

Yeah, after reading the manual you ask yourself, "if this piece needs all this help, will it do anything". It also suggested upgraded power cords and a couple other products. I already had upgraded power cords. I don't know if that would really make a difference in whether the Duet performed. Maybe our electric here just needed the filter. I just put mine on the floor as well.

jrhymeammo
05-08-2007, 07:51 PM
I think background is quieter, but I didnt notice that. I just noticed that higher frequency sounded more controlled. That may have been a result of quiter background, but I never had any problems with my tube integrated's background noise. I've always been quite surprised at how quite it is.

This is the tube integrated I have. I'm continued to be amazed by this unit with SED and JJ tubes.
Stock power tubes are not very good, but served me well when EHs went out.

http://8555.net/auto/com/LSYX/index.php3?file=detail.php3&nowdir=&id=85982&detail=2

For my phono pre, VTL TP-2.5 is a great performer. I'm really let down on the place I live. There is a HUGH radio tower less than 1/2 mile from my apartment. rearranging wires make tremdous differences. Also, I tried different power cables for PSA and my VTL. The stock power cord that came with PSA is pretty good, but I dont think Power cable is my problem.

I can only imagine that your system sounds great. But mine needs alot of work right now, so I dont think I'm keeping it. The difference I heard in my system, I imagine your system revealed much more.

But being able to turn everything off with a switch of a button is really nice.