When and How do you use your system.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : When and How do you use your system....

L.J.
04-18-2007, 08:15 AM
My wife made an interesting comment to me a couple of days ago. She basically stated how "cool" it was that the family has been really sitting down and enjoying the HT lately. I had not really thought about it before, but she was right. When I first got started, HT was a lonely endeavor. It mainly consisted of me using my system for HT 90% of the time by myself. The other 10% was mostly background music.

Well things have changed. First off music listening (multi & 2 chan.) is starting to increase dramatically. The wife and I will spend a few evenings per week sitting back and enjoying some tunes. For the first time, my music purchasing is taking lead. Every friday night we blast our favorites and the whole family dances the stress from the week away.

HT has become a family thing now. We keep a nice supply of goodies and popcorn on hand. Now don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the occasional movie by myself, but I really like the enjoyment the whole family gets out of it now.

So how about you....

What is your music/movie ratio?

When do you listen to music or watch a movie?

How are you using your system? What about your family?

Come on.....don't be shy......

GMichael
04-18-2007, 08:27 AM
We hardly ever use our system. But in the mornings, the first thing I do is turn on the music by flipping on the digi-music from the cable co.
Then when I go out to the kitchen I stop at the living room to flip that system on the same digi-channel. During the days, my dad watches the main TV, all day! Then when I get home, I watch the main TV system. It's tough to catch up on all the HD shows the DVR records for me. Then later, I'll go to the bedroom and watch more shows that, that DVR has saved for me. Then, before sleep, I'll set it on a 90 minute timer for another digi-music channel. On weekends it gets used a little more. Even watch a movie or two.
Other than that, I never use my systems.
:ihih:

markw
04-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Confusing, eh? Well, not really. Here's the skivvy.

When 'm just idly watching TV, flipping channels out of boredom or for the news. weather and sitcoms and the like, I just use the TV without the Denon. I don't need the "big" sound so I don't even need to turn it on. That's a benefit I derive by using the TV as the video switch.

When I want to listen to music, which is more often than not, II just use the Denon. There's no need for the TV

But, when we watch a movie or a "worthy " show on TV, the whole shootin' match is involved, and it all comes together.

And, yes, Mrsw now expects good sound when we watch movies. It's no longer an option.

basite
04-18-2007, 09:38 AM
music, alot of my spare time is spent on music,
I sometimes watch movies on the ht system upstairs, most of the time together with my family. I sometimes do watch some concerts (on dvd or so) on my pc though...

but mostly music :)

L.J.
04-18-2007, 10:06 AM
We hardly ever use our system. But in the mornings, the first thing I do is turn on the music by flipping on the digi-music from the cable co.
Then when I go out to the kitchen I stop at the living room to flip that system on the same digi-channel. During the days, my dad watches the main TV, all day! Then when I get home, I watch the main TV system. It's tough to catch up on all the HD shows the DVR records for me. Then later, I'll go to the bedroom and watch more shows that, that DVR has saved for me. Then, before sleep, I'll set it on a 90 minute timer for another digi-music channel. On weekends it gets used a little more. Even watch a movie or two.
Other than that, I never use my systems.
:ihih:

Hey GM, how's everything?

Looks like your getting some good use out of your DVR. Don't know what I'd do without my 2. Try and give that Titanic a nice workout for me every now and then.

L.J.
04-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Confusing, eh? Well, not really. Here's the skivvy.

When 'm just idly watching TV, flipping channels out of boredom or for the news. weather and sitcoms and the like, I just use the TV without the Denon. I don't need the "big" sound so I don't even need to turn it on. That's a benefit I derive by using the TV as the video switch.

When I want to listen to music, which is more often than not, II just use the Denon. There's no need for the TV

But, when we watch a movie or a "worthy " show on TV, the whole shootin' match is involved, and it all comes together.

And, yes, Mrsw now expects good sound when we watch movies. It's no longer an option.

Hey Mark, I have my system setup the same way. No need to watch the 6am or 10pm news in full surround. I usually give HD channels, sports and American Idol for wifee, the full sound treatment.

I even have my 2910 hooked that way.

Hmm....wifee expects good sound.....how do you live with all that pressure :rolleyes5:

L.J.
04-18-2007, 10:22 AM
music, alot of my spare time is spent on music,
I sometimes watch movies on the ht system upstairs, most of the time together with my family. I sometimes do watch some concerts (on dvd or so) on my pc though...

but mostly music :)

Cool. I'd have to say my listening is almost 50/50 now. Well maybe 60/40, with HT having a slight edge. This is still crazy because I use to never sit down and listen to music. Background yes, but never sitting and just enjoying.

GMichael
04-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Hey GM, how's everything?

Looks like your getting some good use out of your DVR. Don't know what I'd do without my 2. Try and give that Titanic a nice workout for me every now and then.

Doing well. What's shakin'?
I do get a lot of use out of the DVR. Too bad it has so many glitches. I often have to unplug it and have it re-boot to clear problems. Whenever I turn it on I have to change the chanel and then back or the sound drops out every few seconds. Lots of visual artifacts from time to time. Both of them do it too. I Googled it and found that many people have the same problems with it. Even found a whole support group with hints on how to fix this and that. But it's this one or no DVR at all from my small local cable company. And too many trees for Satalite.
My Titanic gets lots of work each week. It's good to get a thump in.

kexodusc
04-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Hmm, I'd say I'm a good 50/50 candidate. I watch a lot more TV than DVD's these days, I love HD sports and movies, and on-demand service is the greatest thing since HBO.

My problem is I'm so comfortable upstairs and have my HT setup configured so well that I find I use my home theater system more than I use my stereo system for music these days, even though the 2-ch rig has the better gear. Funny thing, I don't enjoy the music any less...

Can't part with it though, sometimes my wife doesn't appreciate my choice of music, so I get banished to my stereo/practice room.

Feanor
04-18-2007, 11:00 AM
I have a separate stereo system which is what I use for music listening 95%. I'm pretty much the only person who uses it -- their choice, not dictated by me.

The HT setup, (modest relative to the stereo), is used daily by my wife and me for TV viewing and maybe once or twice a week for DVDs. We also have another TV with a very modest stereo attached; we use this when we can't agree on what to watch on the HT. Both TVs are 27" CRTs sad to report -- my daughter has the best TV in the house, (32" LCD), in her own room, and my wife and I don't get to watch it.

L.J.
04-18-2007, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't mind having a separate room for stereo listening. We have the space but the layout of the house just won't cut it. I have some C-3's in my bedroom, but they are used for background music now. Same goes for my C-9's up front. I use my headphones sometimes too.

If I want to sit and really listen, my main system is my only really good choice.

Les Adams
04-19-2007, 04:18 AM
Every day for general TV viewing and listening to the radio. Serious CD or vinyl listening only happens when the girlfriend and neigbours are out!

__________________________________________________ ________________

Bernd
04-19-2007, 07:00 AM
We have three 2 ch systems in the house. No HT. A basic one in the dining room/office, a recreated 80s system in the Living room ( which also houses the TV) and the main system in the dedicated listening room.I never have background music on. Either I listen or I don't.
The dedicated room is for my use only. It's where I switch off and the system on.
My wife watches more TV than me. I can hardly find anything I like to watch. So it's mainly music for me with the odd TV program or film. I very rarely watch a DVD or a Video.
Time issues mainly and I enjoy the music through the main system so much more than looking at a screen.:)

Interesting Topic LJ.

Peace

:16:

L.J.
04-19-2007, 08:04 AM
We have three 2 ch systems in the house. No HT. A basic one in the dining room/office, a recreated 80s system in the Living room ( which also houses the TV) and the main system in the dedicated listening room.I never have background music on. Either I listen or I don't.
The dedicated room is for my use only. It's where I switch off and the system on.
My wife watches more TV than me. I can hardly find anything I like to watch. So it's mainly music for me with the odd TV program or film. I very rarely watch a DVD or a Video.
Time issues mainly and I enjoy the music through the main system so much more than looking at a screen.:)

Interesting Topic LJ.

Peace

Hey Bernd thanks for your reply. I can tell that you have a true love for music. :23:

emorphien
04-19-2007, 08:48 AM
I have a stereo and a home theater. The stereo is 100% music and my usage really depends on my mood, stress and how much time I spend at home rather than on campus working on whatever. Sometimes it's background music, probably 70% of the time right now, and the rest of the time I'm paying full attention to it.

The HT is probably 95+% home theater and the rest music. We don't use the TV speakers so whenever someone watches TV, fires up the Xbox, watches a DVD or whatever, the HT is on. It gets more play time than my stereo does a lot of the time.

topspeed
04-19-2007, 08:49 AM
My main rig is on most of the time we're at home, although I'm not usually the one watching/listening to it. While I prefer music, I simply don't have the time to sit down and listen to tunes at volume levels I like unless it's the weekend and/or the wife and kids are gone (which is rare). I used to have more time, but with the boys now in multiple sports...volunteering Dear 'ol Dad as coach no less...finding the moments to sit and critically listen are becoming more and more rare. 'Course, this really isn't a problem. Choosing between spending time with the boys and spending time with my rig isn't much of a choice, is it?

powerlord
04-19-2007, 07:01 PM
I am a victim of circumstance right now,I broke my heel last Sept. and have been off work since then,just had surgery two weeks ago so I'm down another 3 or 4 months,since then I have really gotten to know my system by myself,you would think I would be in heaven but I sure would like to sit with my wife and watch some movies but alas she doesn't see the importance,or the big deal.She does watch concerts with me once in a while,and the kids are grown and gone.So I'm officially inviting anyone close to come over any time and watch movies or game with me:cornut:

PeruvianSkies
04-19-2007, 08:40 PM
My setup is used for just about everything, TV, movies, music, etc. What I love about my setup is that it's capable of doing both 2-channel well and also 5.1 surround. I listen to quite a bit of multi-channel music, so it's important to have all channels ready for music playback, but also 2-channels for CD applications. I typically don't use the full 5.1 for TV, unless it's a channel on HD that is broadcast in 5.1.

L.J.
04-20-2007, 06:31 AM
I am a victim of circumstance right now,I broke my heel last Sept. and have been off work since then,just had surgery two weeks ago so I'm down another 3 or 4 months,since then I have really gotten to know my system by myself,you would think I would be in heaven but I sure would like to sit with my wife and watch some movies but alas she doesn't see the importance,or the big deal.She does watch concerts with me once in a while,and the kids are grown and gone.So I'm officially inviting anyone close to come over any time and watch movies or game with me:cornut:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get better soon.

Well nows a good time to take in some longer films. LOTR, Ben Hur, Dances with Wolves perhaps. Just a few of my favorites.

Don't feel bad about the wifee thing. Mine will sit through a disney or comedy anytime, but won't bother with classics or action. I'm still trying to get her to watch Ben Hur with me.

GMichael
04-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Sorry to hear that. Hope you get better soon.

Well nows a good time to take in some longer films. LOTR, Ben Hur, Dances with Wolves perhaps. Just a few of my favorites.

Don't feel bad about the wifee thing. Mine will sit through a disney or comedy anytime, but won't bother with classics or action. I'm still trying to get her to watch Ben Hur with me.

Ditto, my wife won't sit through much more than American Idol or Dancing with the Stars. The only good thing is that the kitchen is kinda the same room anyhow. She's always in there doing something.

recoveryone
04-20-2007, 08:30 AM
My system is in use daily mainly for general TV watching in HD and DVD viewing, but since I brought the Squeezebox I have been playing more music in the house which is the way I like it. I grew up listening to music more than watching TV and my wife is the opposite. I like music as background and she preferred the TV as background. something thats been a long debate in our house for years. Now with HD, she tries to sit there and tell me there no difference to her and wonder why I get frustrated when she watching SD channels of the same ones we have in HD.

The Kids are a whole another story, they have the big screen syndrome. most of the channels they watch are on the lower band (under 100) but they always trying to get downstairs to watch cartoons or music videos ( Not happen here) The wife at times thinks I'm selfish, but I try to explain time after time that the Big screen is not a everyday all day TV. Then she say something along the lines of you shouldn't have brought it then. But then again thats the difference between thinking the TV is there to be watched or watch you (background sounds).

powerlord
04-20-2007, 09:17 AM
My system is in use daily mainly for general TV watching in HD and DVD viewing, but since I brought the Squeezebox I have been playing more music in the house which is the way I like it. I grew up listening to music more than watching TV and my wife is the opposite. I like music as background and she preferred the TV as background. something thats been a long debate in our house for years. Now with HD, she tries to sit there and tell me there no difference to her and wonder why I get frustrated when she watching SD channels of the same ones we have in HD.

The Kids are a whole another story, they have the big screen syndrome. most of the channels they watch are on the lower band (under 100) but they always trying to get downstairs to watch cartoons or music videos ( Not happen here) The wife at times thinks I'm selfish, but I try to explain time after time that the Big screen is not a everyday all day TV. Then she say something along the lines of you shouldn't have brought it then. But then again thats the difference between thinking the TV is there to be watched or watch you (background sounds).

Same here,I listen to music all day long because of my vast cd collection and i'm a musician,then at night I'll try and get the wife to watch a movie,she'd rather watch Deal or no Deal or american idol,or sitcoms.She has told me often she would be happier with a standard 32 in. tv and no stereo "stuff"!!!! She says it takes up too much room and it's too loud,lucky her.I can't see not having a good entertainment system in the house.

L.J.
04-20-2007, 09:42 AM

I bet your lovin' that Squeezebox. This is on my list of potential future upgrades.

L.J.
04-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Same here,I listen to music all day long because of my vast cd collection and i'm a musician,then at night I'll try and get the wife to watch a movie,she'd rather watch Deal or no Deal or american idol,or sitcoms.She has told me often she would be happier with a standard 32 in. tv and no stereo "stuff"!!!! She says it takes up too much room and it's too loud,lucky her.I can't see not having a good entertainment system in the house.

Powerlord, have you tried taking in a chick flic or two with wifee?

She may come to appreciate your system more. I pick up a DVD every now and then just for her.

powerlord
04-20-2007, 10:10 AM
I have tried the chic flick,kid flick and no dice.I don't know if she's just scared of the technology or what,it took years for her to finally get a cell phone,me and the youngest daughter had our cells for at least 5 years before she would try it.Now concerts are different,if i have a good one she will pop a top and settle in for it.

recoveryone
04-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah L.J. the squeeze box has help a lot, It has allowed me to play all of my D/L music through my system and the wife enjoys it a bit too cause I'm able to play only the music we grew up with. So she been listening herself if I have it on, but she would never play it on her own. The Squeeze box is just heaven partner, I have about 1k tracks on my server in the garage and the internet stations are great also. If you kept the bitrate above 300 you can't tell the difference from CD. This pioneer VSX-81 I have has a sound reteriver thang on it to help Mp3 and other D/L music sound better and it works great. so the music thats only 128 bitrate sounds awesome too. I have playlist made up in groups of 60's 70's, jazz, 80's, gospel, Neo-Soul or you can even have it play by artist, genre, album. My only advice is to have a dedicate server for it so that way you don't have to worry about turning on your computer everytime to play it. The internet stations can be played 24/7 without a computer running and some of the station are HD even and most broadcast around 78-128 bitrate.

Hey Power, I feel you on that one bro, mine only watches Jeopardy, wheel of Fortune and Are you smarting than a 5th grader after that on weekends its the Lifetime movie channel all day long. The only DVD she will watch on her own is the Tyler Perry plays, Then I hear it everytime (how do you turn this thing on/switch over to DVD or back to TV).

Dusty Chalk
04-20-2007, 11:13 AM
When?All the time: sometimes before work; almost always at least while at work; always just before I go to sleep, when I'm in bed.
How?Alone. With headphones.

Brainstorm
04-20-2007, 03:47 PM
This question has been asked from one side of the Internet to the other.

I’ll answer the question thou it may seem no surprise to either of you. I’m using right now right at this very moment I’m listening to the split-surrounds with centre back and height surrounds on with fronts turned off I use the sub bass extension to give a bit more oomph to the surrounds with Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope playing the surrounds as wild as they seem and exciting they don’t carry all the wild panning its an unpredictable mix it only happening at certain key moments in the film.

Why listen to just the surrounds you might say? Well I have that flexibility with my home cinema and more much more maybe I’m brainstorming an idea! That could be quite true I’ve heard this new 2005 Dolby stereo digital mix way too many times so maybe I’m up to something maybe its got something to do with the loudspeaker management system that I’m saving up for! Yes still saving I’ve got my debit card back into credit now all I need is around £180.00 to buy the first unit and then the next and the next.

You should listen to the home cinema once in while not just as it is when having friends or the family watching it but when your own your own listen to the Dolby 5.1 mix differently I find it quite relaxing.

When there’s no film playing I switch to stereo mode and select Classic FM and unwind same applies to most compact discs although last Thursday I was listening to parts of the John Williams score to the above title in Dolby Pro-Logic II music mode and some James Horner Titanic score in 6 channel dts mode.

If a film is monaural and its encoded in Dolby 2.0 I select Dolby Pro-Logic to place it in the correct position, now I can do this in one of two ways one select it via the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select AVR or via the Yamaha DSR-70 Pro which is plugged into the left and right pre-outputs.

L.J.
04-20-2007, 05:01 PM
This question has been asked from one side of the Internet to the other.

Didn't know that. I guess I could have started another "who makes the best ??????? thread".

Brainstorm
04-20-2007, 09:53 PM
No comment I’m not going to put words into anyone’s mouth and now I must retire for the night I’m shattered time to dream and count (db sheep) lots of numbers there and process of putting together the (loudspeaker management system) its got lots of possibilities so I’ll catch you around maybe in a few weeks time and in the words of (John Young) “bye, bye”…

GMichael
04-22-2007, 06:44 AM
Didn't know that. I guess I could have started another "who makes the best ??????? thread".

Who DOES make the best ????? ?

L.J.
04-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Who DOES make the best ????? ?

Hard to say. Lot's of great ????? out there. Depends on your needs and budget. You should get plenty of recommendations for some great ?????, but I would suggest you go out and audition as many ????? in your budget as possible.

What about going used. There are some great used ????? out there. Give ?????gon.com a look.

GMichael
04-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Hard to say. Lot's of great ????? out there. Depends on your needs and budget. You should get plenty of recommendations for some great ?????, but I would suggest you go out and audition as many ????? in your budget as possible.

What about going used. There are some great used ????? out there. Give ?????gon.com a look.

I would like the very best ???? available at any price. Even if it means buying Bose ???? But I won't pay more than $? for my ????

L.J.
04-22-2007, 06:09 PM
I would like the very best ???? available at any price. Even if it means buying Bose ???? But I won't pay more than $? for my ????

What! Bose makes ?????

Where have I been :idea:

GMichael
04-23-2007, 05:25 AM
What! Bose makes ?????

Where have I been :idea:

The best ???? Duh!

Mark of Cenla
04-24-2007, 09:24 AM
All TV gets played through the big system (stereo/2.0) in the living room. We watch a fair amount of movies, and I watch concert DVDs almost daily. I play CDs in there too once in a while becuase it is the best system in the house.