The Soparanos Wrap Up Who's likely to survive? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Soparanos Wrap Up Who's likely to survive?

Worf101
04-18-2007, 06:32 AM
The Sopranos are wrapping up the series in what promises to be a royal bloodbath. Instead of asking "who's likely to get whacked" the bigger question is who's likely to live? Who do you think comes out unscathed?

Da Worfster

Worf101
04-18-2007, 06:45 AM
As for me I see Tony going to the can and/or getting whacked. I see Silvio surviving and taking over the family. He's smarter than he looks and has managed to stay relatively above the fray. In the end, I see him taking the least damage. Everyone else is either dead or in jail by series end.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
04-18-2007, 07:27 AM
People need to believe Tony's gonna live forever - so either Tony passes things on to Sil and gets outta the business altogether (or at least a limited role) or he keeps it all.
His family will escape unscathed, except for Uncle Jun and Chrissy - Tony will kill Chrissy by the end of the series. This has been in the works since season 1.
History repeats itself - a la Michael/Vito Corleone.

Pauly is too untouchable just cause he's so damn funny, and Bobby is too nice a guy to get whacked.

Besides, ya can't kill the good characters off or there'll be no spin-off or movie opportunities.

HBO is smart, we're gonna see Tony and Carmela pack up and move to Salt Lake City so they can bother Bill Hendrickson and his three wives for the next few years. Maybe partner up with Roman.

Troy
04-18-2007, 07:58 AM
If there's any justice in this artificial world, and if the series remains true to it's operatic roots, I expect most of the people in that list to die. They are all terribly flawed and conflicted, ergo they are all going down.

Some may not die: I predict Bobby will end up in jail after leaving DNA and prints at the laundromat.

Christopher doesn't stand a chance. Neither does Pauley, even tho they are my favorite characters. They should die.

AJ goes down in a crossfire.

My vote: Carmella will be the survivor. She will take over the family business. Uncle junior may survive the series, but as a vegetable. Meadow will survive too.

kexodusc
04-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Alright, who's gonna run the "who gets whacked first pool"? I got my money on Phil Leotardo.

Worf101
04-19-2007, 04:58 AM
Hmmm good question-ay. I personally say that AJ dies first. I think his crazed preaggers G.F. sticks a shiv in his ribs LOL. Actually I see Tony gettin' whacked by some street thug wanna be gangster or the kid of somebody he whacked early on in the series. I just got this feelin'...

Da Worfster

Woochifer
04-24-2007, 06:14 PM
So far, this season's been one big teaser after another. I know they're pushing that whole mortality theme (I mean, Johnny Sack dies but it's not at anyone's hands or the receiving end of a piece), but it seems that they're moving things along very slowly. (But, now with Phil taking the reigns of the NY family, hopefully things will pick up.)

Just this week's episode, you had two dead ends with that body-in-the-basement plot thread and the back-and-forth between Tony and Paulie. Increasingly, I'm thinking that the only two "safe" characters this season are Carmela and Sil. After this week, I'm also thinking that Paulie's in the safe house as well.

Obviously, everyone wants to know what happens to Tony, but it seems that with only 6 episodes left, a lot of unresolved theads will remain with the supporting cast. I agree with Worf that A.J.'s probably a goner.

PeruvianSkies
04-24-2007, 06:19 PM
They could pull a move straight from THE GODFATHER...Tony gets shot, yet lives, at least for a little while.

Woochifer
05-08-2007, 05:13 PM
After the events of this week, it looks more and more like Christopher's a goner and potentially a snitch. Gotta wonder now if Adrianna is really dead, or if this is all some Witness Protection Program setup (imagine if Sil was with the govt all along, and that whole thing with Adrianna was staged).

This week's episode was probably the best one yet for this half-season. Loved the way that Tony came to terms with his therapy while A.J. was seeing his own shrink and potentially evolving more and more into his dad's heir apparent by going on medication. And I guess next week, the NY gang gets its turn.

kexodusc
05-09-2007, 05:54 AM
After the events of this week, it looks more and more like Christopher's a goner and potentially a snitch. Gotta wonder now if Adrianna is really dead, or if this is all some Witness Protection Program setup (imagine if Sil was with the govt all along, and that whole thing with Adrianna was staged).

This week's episode was probably the best one yet for this half-season. Loved the way that Tony came to terms with his therapy while A.J. was seeing his own shrink and potentially evolving more and more into his dad's heir apparent by going on medication. And I guess next week, the NY gang gets its turn.

I'm really enjoying this season so far, even though there appears to be only a few subtle plot developments early on. But to be fair, that seems consistent with all the Sopranos seasons.

I always said Tony would end up going Fredo on Christopher, now I'm wondering if they won't pull a swerve on it. Pauley is my new front runner. The more I think about it, the more I realize the show has always had a theme based on the evolution of the OC business in today's world, with RICO, disloyalty, etc. The old-school guys are thinning out, and a new breed is emerging slowly. I think we'll see Tony rely more on his family, AJ, Christopher, Bobby, etc, and Pauley and possibly Sil are left out in the cold. Though Sil's been the rock all along, maybe he'll stick it out.

I'll say one thing, 5 episodes left and I have no idea how it'll end. Most shows fail miserably at keeping it unpredictable.

Maybe they'll leave it unconcluded to setup for a Sopranos movie?

kexodusc
05-14-2007, 04:12 PM
If you missed this week's (May 13) episode - SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! READ NO FURTHER!

KEX WINS!!! KEX WINS!!! KEX WINS!!!

His family will escape unscathed, except for Uncle Jun and Chrissy - Tony will kill Chrissy by the end of the series. This has been in the works since season 1.

RIP Christopher!!!

WOO HOO! Alright fellas, where's ma prize money? Whaddooo I win?

Woochifer
05-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey congrats Kex! Driving up with your prize is Worf in a brand new ride stuffed with one milli ... oh ... wait ... oops, looks like everything's still in play since the "official" topic was about who would survive! In the spirit of the moment, let's just say that if everybody survives, everybody on this board wins! :cornut:

After last week, I thought that Christopher would go down. I just didn't expect that it would be under those bizarre circumstances. This week was another great episode. I loved the theme of how two-faced people can become during moments of obligatory grief. Very interesting to see how Tony's just begging to let loose with how glad he is that Christopher's out of his hair, and that dream sequence with Dr. Melfi was another great bit of insight. The season has really picked up and the outcome at the end is totally up in the air for just about every character. Everybody seems to have some kind of axe to grind. And I'm thinking that Adrianna will still have something to say by series end.

On a sidenote, I'm also looking forward to the return of Big Love, which starts up again after the Sopranos series finale.

kexodusc
05-15-2007, 04:13 AM
After last week, I thought that Christopher would go down. I just didn't expect that it would be under those bizarre circumstances. This week was another great episode. I loved the theme of how two-faced people can become during moments of obligatory grief. Very interesting to see how Tony's just begging to let loose with how glad he is that Christopher's out of his hair, and that dream sequence with Dr. Melfi was another great bit of insight. The season has really picked up and the outcome at the end is totally up in the air for just about every character. Everybody seems to have some kind of axe to grind. And I'm thinking that Adrianna will still have something to say by series end.
Adrianna? Didn't Sil shoot her in season 5?

Another very good episode. I love that Chrissy was killed in a rather unpredictable, anticlimactic way. And you're right, the huge "relief" Tony felt about offing him was a bit of a shocker. Who's next? Phil Leotardo has gotta go...

On a sidenote, I'm also looking forward to the return of Big Love, which starts up again after the Sopranos series finale.
Me too, that show was eerily creepy. Yet so well executed. HBO is on a roll, man they put out some good shows.

Worf101
05-15-2007, 05:56 AM
Kex gets the prize. Yeah that was some wholly unexpected chit right there boy. But wasn't Paully a hoot at his own wake. It's always sumthin' with that idiot. Man, if he survives this thing I think I'll plotz. Tony man, whatta piece of work.

Da Worfster

Duds
05-15-2007, 06:36 AM
I can't imagine everyone getting killed off. Six Feet Under ended with everyone dying, I cant imagine HBO doing that again. They need to leave some characters too, as someone else said, for spinoffs, a movie, or perhaps if they decide to do more episodes down the road, although not likely.

Its been a great season so far though.

kexodusc
05-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Kex gets the prize. Yeah that was some wholly unexpected chit right there boy. But wasn't Paully a hoot at his own wake. It's always sumthin' with that idiot. Man, if he survives this thing I think I'll plotz. Tony man, whatta piece of work.

Da Worfster

I think lost in all this weeks drama was the progression of AJ. Is it just me or is he getting a serious wise-guy mean streak in him?

Wonder if he'll join the family business and follow Tony now?

Anyone catch what peyote-Tony was screaming in Nevada at the end of the show? Sounded like "I get it"?

Duds
05-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Wasn't it "I Did it" ?

Woochifer
05-15-2007, 05:38 PM
I think lost in all this weeks drama was the progression of AJ. Is it just me or is he getting a serious wise-guy mean streak in him?

Wonder if he'll join the family business and follow Tony now?

Anyone catch what peyote-Tony was screaming in Nevada at the end of the show? Sounded like "I get it"?

The angle with A.J. is definitely one of the more intriguing X factors heading into the series finale. Last week, they already hit on the irony of A.J. becoming more like his father the instant that his shrink put him on anti-depressants. A.J. could become his father's heir apparent, or he could wind up killing Tony.

I think the one we haven't heard from yet is Sil, and I suspect that he's a turncoat. We'll find out soon enuff!

Worf101
05-16-2007, 05:05 AM
The angle with A.J. is definitely one of the more intriguing X factors heading into the series finale. Last week, they already hit on the irony of A.J. becoming more like his father the instant that his shrink put him on anti-depressants. A.J. could become his father's heir apparent, or he could wind up killing Tony.

I think the one we haven't heard from yet is Sil, and I suspect that he's a turncoat. We'll find out soon enuff!
AJ MIGHT be pulling a Michael Corleone and becoming the gangsta his daddy never thought he could become. Wouldn't it be a ***** if AJ winds up gettin' his boys to pop Lebotardo and winds up becomng a up and coming junior exec in the family Crew? Sil could be a rat. I mean have we EVER seen him actually kill anyone? It's implied that he killed Adriana (an episode so upsetting to some women that HBO had to put on more armed guards) but we don't see any body, no blood. Wouldn't it had been a mindblowing ***** of an episode if she'd a showed up at the wake. Or she could wind up at his graveside someday.

Man this is fun....

Da Worfster

Woochifer
05-16-2007, 01:58 PM
AJ MIGHT be pulling a Michael Corleone and becoming the gangsta his daddy never thought he could become. Wouldn't it be a ***** if AJ winds up gettin' his boys to pop Lebotardo and winds up becomng a up and coming junior exec in the family Crew? Sil could be a rat. I mean have we EVER seen him actually kill anyone? It's implied that he killed Adriana (an episode so upsetting to some women that HBO had to put on more armed guards) but we don't see any body, no blood. Wouldn't it had been a mindblowing ***** of an episode if she'd a showed up at the wake. Or she could wind up at his graveside someday.

Man this is fun....

Da Worfster

I think it's interesting that they've been alluding to Adrianna all season long, so we might be getting set up for her reemergence. (Admittedly, I'm assuming that these tipoffs are similar to how the writers for 24 clue the audience in whenever the Chinese are about to make their way back into the storyline) I'm basing my suspicions about Sil squarely on the fact that we never saw Adrianna getting shot by Sil (if Sil's a rat, that whole thing could've easily been staged), and how did that whole body-in-the-basement situation get resolved so easily while Tony and Paulie were on the road?

For this season of the Sopranos, I just love how unpredictable the plot turns have been, yet they're not done strictly for shock value. I mean, Christopher was probably in the top three for everybody's Sopranos dead pool, yet I don't think anyone would have predicted that he'd die in, of all things, a traffic accident with Tony then merely applying the coup de grace (admittedly, the scene looked like it was lifted straight out of Insomnia). I like how everybody has some sort of axe to grind that's just waiting to pop up to the surface, yet aside from Leotardo taking out the NY boss, none of these tensions have busted out in a hail of gunfire.

BTW, what about Meadow? I've almost forgotten that Tony still has a daughter.

SlumpBuster
05-16-2007, 06:51 PM
The problem with Sil potentially being FBI is that in order to be in his position he would have had to "make his bones" just like Bobby had to a couple of weeks ago. That's a tall order for under cover FBI or even an informant. But I can't remember Sil doing any hits besides Adrianna, I'm sure he has though. But it is curious that they didn't actually show Adrianna getting killed. Everybody else gets it in up close detail.

No, I think they'll play it as a straight morality tale. They have already shown what happens to bosses and their families when they are past it. Uncle Jr.'s rotting away. Johnny Sacks died in jail with only his broke destitute family with him. Carm was already complaining to Tony that she has no safety net. Tony will die an anticlimactic death, just like Christopher, and his family will be left in tattered ruins. Just prior to that, Carm will find out about the hit on Adrianna, which will destroy her relationship with Tony as it demonstrates that no one is indispensible. Chris and Adrianna were the analogy to Tony and Carm. If they can kill Adrianna, they can kill Carm, and the realization of that reality will be too much for her. Meadow will piss and moan about some lost entitlement (why is she even on the show?) and AJ will be somehow swallowed by a morass of violence.

Sil will escape unscathed. Paully Walnuts will avenge Tony, which may or may not result in the death of Pauly.

Worf101
05-21-2007, 03:30 AM
Hmmm what's goin' on here. I think that Tony's bein' "set up" and I think that little Carmine, you know the guy with the malaprops, is the one doing it. Maybe he's not as dumb as he appears. He comes in to broker a deal and things go from bad to worse. Perhaps he hopes to have Tony kill Phil so he can muscle in or perhaps kill Phil in the chaos. What sneaky little bastards.

Da Worfster

Duds
05-21-2007, 04:13 AM
Tony should have whacked Phil's guy with the weird eye, cant stand him.

The preview looked awesome. Wonder who they were talking about when they said he's been playing both sides of the fence...

Woochifer
05-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Wow, the screws are really tightening! This latest episode seems like a throwback to the first couple of seasons where the show had a more equal balance between the Soprano family dynamic, the mafia doings, and the couch sessions with Dr. Melfi.

A whole lotta things are in play right now. Tony's definitely being setup, but the question is whether it's all on the NY crew (agree with Worf, Carmine's got an ulterior motive in all this, since he would directly benefit from Phil getting whacked even though he'd claimed not to be interested in the top spot) or if Tony's got an internal insurrection at work (in whatever form it winds up taking on, I still think that Sil's involved in something behind Tony's back).

SlumpBuster
05-21-2007, 11:14 AM
On this week's installment of the Underground Garage, Little Steven kept goofing on whether Sil would make it or not. It was pretty funny. He played Dylan's "Silvio"

For those that don't know:http://www.littlestevensundergroundgarage.com/homepage.html

kexodusc
05-21-2007, 12:36 PM
My guess is Pauley - there's been friction there pre-dating the time he told Johnny Sack about the wife jokes - and the whole scene with Tony taking him out on the boat to kill him and changing his mine almost feels like a precursor...

SlumpBuster
06-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Man, something just doesn't add up after last night's episode. Sil doesn't add up. I missed the first 10 minutes. Did they show hit that guy playing both side? Is Sil with the Feds as has been suggested?

I will be disappointed if the Feds don't play a big roll in the final episode, especially with a big appearance and revelation by the FBI in the second to last episode ("We know more than you do Tony. Look out for yourself with New York.") and the wanton civilian casualties (the Phil lookalike and the motorcyclist). I know the show is about an anti-hero (Tony) but they really should give props to the FBI, who with the help of RICO gutted these guys over the last 25 years.

Woochifer
06-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Wow! Lots to ponder from last night's episode!

Paulie's the most obvious candidate now to be Tony's Judas, but as Slump said, the thead with Sil doesn't quite add up.

I guess it was inevitable that the series would end on this note, with Tony's forces eroding, his family now directly in the line of fire, and his hold on power diminishing by the minute.

I really liked the plot thread with Dr. Melfi finally deciding that she would no longer serve as Tony's enabler, almost like an intervention in reverse where she completely dances around the point and sets Tony free. It's also interesting that in a way, the FBI agents are now enabling Tony by feeding him intel on the NY crew. But, I also see the feds with their own alterior motives -- let the gangland war play out as long as possible, so that whatever outfit emerges victorious in this turf battle will emerge badly diminished.

Can't wait to see how everything draws to a finish!

Troy
06-04-2007, 07:27 PM
As much as I love The Soaps, isn't this the most depressing TV show ever? Sil? Bobby? Christopher? AJ's spiral into insanity? The drawn out cancer sequence of Johhny Sac? What a stone drag!

I wouldn't miss the end for anything, but the truth is, I'll be glad when it's over.

kexodusc
06-05-2007, 04:08 AM
Wow, what a show...
Okay guys - neither Sil, nor Paulie are insiders for the Feds...we've now seen both kill too many people for them to be rats. Don't think that adds up anymore, remember they wouldn't let Pussy kill or even earn too much when he was under their control.

Maybe Sil's playing both sides against each other with Phil Leotardo and Tony. I've been going through the DVD's again now and Season 4 starts to plant that seed - Sil's jealousy when Chrissy get's made temporary captain and put in charge of the waterfront - Sil and Tony even had a userper conversation. Though I'll have to watch the start of season 6 where he takes over from Tony after he gets shot - maybe there were clues there.

Paulie could be the guy too - he's the one that ratted out Ralphie to Johnny Sac from behind bars, he sold out Christopher in my favorite ever episode (the one where they get lost in the woods looking for the Russian), etc.. Paulie's always been loyal to his family and I don't think he's appreciated the lack of support he's got for his ma.

Of course, I'm picking option c - the show is just teasing us and they both stay loyal to Tony until the bitter end. That's how their thing works most of the time.

Man, I love this show!

Worf101
06-05-2007, 04:48 AM
I just can't take anymore of the tension. The constant waiting for a gunshot from nowhere. The knowledge that there are multiple people out there that want you dead, dead, dead. And they're not particular how they do it either. One thing though, Phil Lebetardo's sudden change from tired old man to cold blooded killer surprises me. It makes no sense, but I guess it's a macho/balls kinda thing. I was depressed after Bobby's death. I can't take much more of this. It is kinda depressing. I got enough of that in my real life. Don't need all that in my fantasy life as well.

Da Worfster

SlumpBuster
06-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Fat Bobby was the lesson in corruption. He was the only character with a shred of decency left going into this season. But he gave that up once he did the hit in the laundry room, accordingly he had to die. Too bad, because he had a sweet train set.

Paulie is really finishing as one of my favorite characters. Rotten to the core, but a survivor. To Fat Bobby and Sil "Does T know about this?!?... F-You! I survived the 80s" I loved that exchange.

And the best part of with Dr. Melfi was the revelation that Tony has been lying not only to her, but to the audience as well by way of extension. It was like a stark reminder that he is a "Criminal" with a capital "C" not a "criminal" with lowercase "c." He is a breed apart and his brain doesn't work the way a non-criminal's does. The "unreliable narrator" is a great literary device.

topspeed
06-05-2007, 03:17 PM
I just caught the show last night, and I'm with Worster; the tension is killing me! You're always waiting for the other shoe to fall. Even at the end, as Tony is falling asleep, I was waiting for someone to come busting through the bedroom door.

I didn't read the whole thread, but as for the original question, I think Carmela and Meadow live. If there's any justice in this world, someone will whack AJ and put him out our misery. What a wuss that kid is!

5 more days...

Troy
06-06-2007, 07:31 AM
I suspect we're done with AJ now. Like Uncle Jr. sometimes there are fates worse than death.

kexodusc
06-06-2007, 07:36 AM
I suspect we're done with AJ now. Like Uncle Jr. sometimes there are fates worse than death.
Nah, he's gonna shack up with the cute blonde, and then rush into save his old man from imminent death - then fill in one of the many newly vacant positions in Tony's outfit...