Say, didn't the new PT come out already? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Say, didn't the new PT come out already?

3-LockBox
04-17-2007, 11:08 PM
I think I have it pre-ordered...I need to go check

Anyone else buyinig this one

As usual, PT is on 'autobuy' for me

richmon
04-18-2007, 05:29 AM
I preorderd too, won't get a copy till early May, it was released in Europe yesterday.

Want some samples ?? You know you do.
http://www.porcupinetree.com/multimedia.cfm ..there's an icon on the right get some soundbiting from Fear of a Blank Planet.
I'm impressed, after the spottiness of Deadwing, I wondered if the tree was withering. The samples make me think they're baaaaack!

Mike
04-22-2007, 03:22 PM
I preorderd too, won't get a copy till early May, it was released in Europe yesterday.

Got my copy last week and it's early days yet but so far it leaves me a little cold, with five or six tracks and one at 17 mins it's certainly has a prog flavour but it's all a bit predictable and ponderous.

On the other hand Deadwing for me was a good album so maybe I'm coming at them from a different angle. I don't think it will let hardcore fans down but I don't see them winning many new ones.

Cheers
Mike

3-LockBox
04-22-2007, 10:14 PM
I don't think it will let hardcore fans down but I don't see them winning many new ones.

In a way, that's good, because at this stage of the game, Wilson isn't going to find much more of audience for his PT project than he has now, and couldn't do so without losing his fanbase. PT has been a case study in expansion of ideas and evolving. It would be okay by me if they just made PT albums for a few more years and then put it to bed. I've always liked PT as much conceptually as I have for the content. Prolly much in the same I like Rush or liked Pink Floyd.

ForeverAutumn
04-23-2007, 07:24 AM
According to Amazon.ca, it's being released here tomorrow.

As for Deadwing, I didn't like it at all when it first came out. I shelved it until about three weeks ago when I pulled it out for another listen and it hit me completely differently this time. Now I like it a lot and it's been on regular rotation since. Funny how that happens sometimes.

Slosh
04-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Even I have it (friend burned me a copy).

NP:

ForeverAutumn
04-24-2007, 06:33 PM
The release has been delayed until May 1 in Canada, for some unknown reason. So, I'll have new PT and new Rush on the same day. I can hardly bear the excitement!

PeruvianSkies
04-24-2007, 06:42 PM
I first came across PT when I had to review their In Absentia DVD-Audio a few years ago, and wasn't exactly impressed. I am a fan of Prog-Rock and General-Rock, but this just didn't move me much. So what am I missing?

3-LockBox
04-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Got mine today...very much a nod to the past

Gavin Harrison is a monster on drums.

kexodusc
04-25-2007, 04:04 AM
I first came across PT when I had to review their In Absentia DVD-Audio a few years ago, and wasn't exactly impressed. I am a fan of Prog-Rock and General-Rock, but this just didn't move me much. So what am I missing?

Missing? Aside from the production value being top notch, and this being one of the best sounding DVD-A mixes for heavier rock music available (heck, I haven't heard too many SACD's sound this good), the material is killer.
Guess everyone's got different tastes though, if this album didn't move ya maybe you're just PT-Intolerant? We've all got bands we just can't get into.

First time I heard In Absentia I thought "this is what Radiohead should have been". Don't get me wrong, I like Radiohead, just like these guys a lot more.

kexodusc
04-25-2007, 04:07 AM
According to Amazon.ca, it's being released here tomorrow.

As for Deadwing, I didn't like it at all when it first came out. I shelved it until about three weeks ago when I pulled it out for another listen and it hit me completely differently this time. Now I like it a lot and it's been on regular rotation since. Funny how that happens sometimes.

Really? Well, glad you're digging it now, should hold ya over until ya get the new CD.

Speaking of which, I've tried a few places now, but they keep telling me the release date in Canada is pushed back to May 1 (well actually first they say "who?", then they say "that's a funny name") Don't suppose you found a copy yet? If so, where?

ForeverAutumn
04-25-2007, 04:28 AM
Really? Well, glad you're digging it now, should hold ya over until ya get the new CD.

Speaking of which, I've tried a few places now, but they keep telling me the release date in Canada is pushed back to May 1 (well actually first they say "who?", then they say "that's a funny name") Don't suppose you found a copy yet? If so, where?

No, I haven't found a copy. But to be truthful I haven't looked. You mean to tell me that your buddies at CD Plus didn't sneak you an advance copy like they did with the Lost DVDs? Your influence is sliding. You need to treat those folks to a few Tim Hortons' to butter them up. :cornut:

kexodusc
04-25-2007, 05:30 AM
No, I haven't found a copy. But to be truthful I haven't looked. You mean to tell me that your buddies at CD Plus didn't sneak you an advance copy like they did with the Lost DVDs? Your influence is sliding. You need to treat those folks to a few Tim Hortons' to butter them up. :cornut:
Well, I think they would, except the release date keeps getting bumped back, or so I'm told. I did get my Nine Inch Nails album early :cornut:

I just checked on Amazon.ca and it says May 1 now. Grrrrr...

(edit: can ya tell I'm a little impatient?)

N. Abstentia
04-25-2007, 05:46 AM
Downloaded it from the Zune Marketplace right after midnight on the release day (gotta love that unlimited Zune pass!!) but I've only had a chance to spin it once.

My first impression is simply this....

It reminds me of Pink Floyd's Animals. Not saying that as a bad thing, just saying that for some reason it reminds me of Animals. Maybe because Planet and Animals are such a shift from the albums that came before them...maybe it's the layered keyboards & acoustic guitars....I don't know. But I know I will like it.

3-LockBox
04-25-2007, 09:58 AM
It reminds me of Pink Floyd's Animals. Not saying that as a bad thing, just saying that for some reason it reminds me of Animals. Maybe because Planet and Animals are such a shift from the albums that came before them...maybe it's the layered keyboards & acoustic guitars....I don't know. But I know I will like it.

I don't know 'bout Animals, but this is a departure from the last two album fer sure. More string arrangements than even Lightbulb Sun. Definately a more organic sounding PT.

One thing is for sure, this is not a song oriented release. This definately harkens back to the glory days of their Pink Floyd influence. Don't think this one will win any converts, but it should please PT fans. Seems really short but its still 50+ minutes long.

Don't know if I'd say it was better than the other two. I miss some of the elements introduced on their last few albums. Gone are the all out rockers of Deadwing, like Open Car, Shallow and Halo. None of the pop splendor of past songs, like Piano Lessons, Shesmovedon, Rest Will Flow, Trains and Lazarus, are present either. The song, Sentimental is as close to a single as you're gonna get on this album, and it is a good song, with a piano lead-in reminiscent of Collapse The Light Into Earth, from In Ansentia, albeit a bit faster tempo. The last track, Sleep Together has some rather dumb lyrics, but also some glorious string arrangement not heard on a PT album to this point.

There is still raucus jamming and ambient rock ala In Absentia. Some superb musicianship and production as well. Wilson is indeed a studio wizard. The strings on the last track, Sleep Together, are mesmerizing. Fans that aren't familiar with albums like Signify or Sky Moves Sideways will be scratching their heads though.

All in all, a great excuse to lower brain activity to simple autonomic functioning for 50 minutes.

kexodusc
04-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I don't know 'bout Animals, but this is a departure from the last two album fer sure. More string arrangements than even Lightbulb Sun. Definately a more organic sounding PT.

One thing is for sure, this is not a song oriented release. This definately harkens back to the glory days of their Pink Floyd influence. Don't think this one will win any converts, but it should please PT fans. Seems really short but its still 50+ minutes long.

Don't know if I'd say it was better than the other two. Gone are the all out rockers of Deadwing, like Open Car, Shallow and Halo. None of the pop splendor of past songs like Piano Lessons Shesmovedon, Rest Will Flow, Trains and Lazarus are present either.

But there is still raucus jamming and ambient rock ala In Absentia. Some superb musicianship and production as well. Wilson is indeed a studio wizard. The strings on the last track, Sleep Together, are mesmerizing. Fans that aren't familiar with albums like Signify or Sky Moves Sideways will be scratching their heads though.

All in all, a great excuse to lower brain activity to simple autonomic functioning for 50 minutes.

Cool, Signify was my 2nd fav...sounds interesting. I take it there's not many 3 minutes songs then?

Duds
04-25-2007, 10:36 AM
After the first listen I was like eh, nothing special. Its definitely grown on me though and its a damn good album.

Mr MidFi
04-26-2007, 05:39 AM
Gavin Harrison is a monster on drums.

Quoted for truth. (He's the best thing on their recent live DVD, IMHO.)

I now have 3 listens of their new disc under my belt, and I've liked it better with each successive listen. That's a good sign. To me, it seems a natural progression from In Abstentia and Deadwing. The lyrics and overarching theme are, well, not nearly as strong as their author probably believes them to be. But frankly, I don't buy their stuff for the words anyway.

Good album. Worth getting.

Troy
04-26-2007, 07:31 AM
I need to get this NOW!

But I don't understand, if the release date is 5/1 how do you all have it already?

Duds
04-26-2007, 07:45 AM
release day in the states.

ForeverAutumn
04-26-2007, 07:52 AM
5/1 is the Canadian release date. Damn exchange rate! It was okay when it applied to money. But when did they start applying the exchange rate to time?!

GMichael
04-26-2007, 10:40 AM
5/1 is the Canadian release date. Damn exchange rate! It was okay when it applied to money. But when did they start applying the exchange rate to time?!

April 1st. 1969.

Slosh
04-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Now I have a copy of the DVD too. DTS mix and 24-bit/48kHz stereo tracks. Only extras are lyrics and credits. Just like DVD-A the video is all stills but they do change as the songs progress. I hear this is due out on DVD-A in September but the DTS here sounds so damned good why bother?

Dave_G
04-28-2007, 08:23 AM
I found it the other day at Borders, just out of thr blue. It's OK, I've only listened to it twice. Didn't knock me out initially, but this band takes me at least 10 listens before I understand the release.

Dave

Troy
04-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Got it this weekend and haven't listened to it more than a couple of times, and those were interruption filled. Still, it's enough to have some first impressions.

Yes, it harkens back to the earlier, spacier PT sound, but still sounds like it's a product of the band that made In Absentia and Deadwing. I like that balance a LOT.

I like the long song format too, but also can't find a "song" on it yet. There will be no single (a MAJOR marketing blunder) unless they decide to create a 4 minute edit of Anesthetize (which would kill). Still, this will be a GREAT album for a long drive late at night.

I don't like the lyrics. Whiney and relentlessly depressing. He's already done these themes to death with the last 2 albums. I get it already. It will be crucial for Wilson to move on from these same ideas with the NEXT album. This band has a way of mixing the vocals down so that the listening experience is more about the instumental portion of the program, but still, enough already with the songs about the next Virginia Tech killer. Write songs about changing the problem, not wallowing in it.

A minor quibble, playing devils advocate more than anything else here. I'm pretty certain I will end up liking this one more than the last 2, both of which were the best album of the year for me.

kexodusc
04-30-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't like the lyrics. Whiney and relentlessly depressing. He's already done these themes to death with the last 2 albums. I get it already. It will be crucial for Wilson to move on from these same ideas with the NEXT album. This band has a way of mixing the vocals down so that the listening experience is more about the instumental portion of the program, but still, enough already with the songs about the next Virginia Tech killer. Write songs about changing the problem, not wallowing in it.

ROFLMAO...man, you just described three-quarters of the acts out there today - the other quarter are armchair revolutionists playing the political card.
Given the former or the latter, I'll take the former any day. I'd rather them be depressed about the state of the world than them using the state of the world to depress me.

Troy
05-01-2007, 08:29 AM
I listened to it several times yesterday. I think what it is with the lyrics . . . it lacks metaphor, irony or wit. It's not clever in any way. It's very linear and obvious.

3-LockBox
05-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I listened to it several times yesterday. I think what it is with the lyrics . . . it lacks metaphor, irony or wit. It's not clever in any way. It's very linear and obvious.

I'm thinking the same thing. Too preachy. Too U2'ish (lyrically speaking) and I DO NOT want Wilson to become the next Bono. And yes, I think that the omission of a single is a blunder, since that is what is going to get exposure in the states, but I think that Wilson has, at this stage of the game, written off any notion of hitting big in the states. Still, the theme of this album is very relevent and serves as a cautionary tale for me, having a 13 year old who would live on X-Box Live if we let him. But with such pointed and obvious lyrical content, I wonder if this album will endure as long as other PT albums. I remember Tom Petty's song Jamming Me from the early '80s, where he referenced Eddie Murphy, Joe Piscapo, and Vanessa Redgrave, which at the time seemed edgey, but two or three years later, sounded very dippy, and very irrelevant, and come to think of it, never gets airplay. Only a handful of people remember any of those people besides Eddie Murphy. So whatever point Petty was trying to make back then, will be lost on anyone younger than him now. So in a few years from now, when young people here an X-Box reference in a rock song, they'll snicker at it.

Like I already pointed out, its clear Wilson does what Wilson wants to do at this juncture, but I do hope this is a one off album of this type. Maybe Wilson is spreading himself a tad thin after all. Still a good album, just not a kickass album.

kexodusc
05-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Well, I finally got it...

I see what you guys are saying about the lyrics. Yeah, a bit sterile, somewhat dull. Oddly enough, I find it works for the "theme" or concept of this album. Not his most clever writing by any means, but there's nothing wrong with blunt, simple lyrics. I hate it when artists try to get too deep for their own good with the lyrics. Sometimes it just comes across as forced.

Anyway, a bit less pop-oriented, more percussion driven than the last 2 I'd say. Musically, it's pretty good, a return to the artsy/spacy approach.

I like it. My only complaint is SW seems to sing pretty much at the same pace/tone for the whole album. Probably the worst vocal performance from PT in years.

Anyway, that damn little girl in the liner notes beside the Anesthetize lyrics creeps the hell out of me. She looks like a satanic demon or something. I keep waiting for her to open her mouth and reveal a forked tongue and giant nasty blood sucker fangs. I left the booklet open on that page all afternoon. Yuck. She's got serial killer written all over her. Or heroin junkie. Either way, not a great future the young lady...