So, do we still do a Tuesday listening thread 'round here? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So, do we still do a Tuesday listening thread 'round here?

newtrix1
04-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Only new (to me) thing I've spun recently is this 2005 self-titled Brazilian Girls cd. Bought it solely based on reading the description;
None of them are Brazilian, only one is a girl, and they jump around genres like a schizophrenic DJ, but all the obtuseness is just window dressing when you consider the groove and smart, playful attitude that hold the Brazilian Girls' debut together. Bouncing between house music, samba-flavored pop, and freaky dancing stoner anthems all seems rather effortless in the able hands of the the Brazilian Girls, three guys and one gal who are totally Nublu. If you don't know Nublu, it's a club in New York City that seems to dig up one musician/DJ after another who could be equally at home in the pages of Vogue or the Wire.....
Credit to AMG.com for the review.

I haven't totally warmed up to the disc yet, but it is interesting at times. I really like the lead singers sexy voice & sassy lyrics, the lyrics that are in english anyhow.

Other than that a bunch of old-school stuff:
Natalie Merchant - Tiger Lily
Mad Season - Above
Peter Gabriel - Greatest hits disc
Audioslave - first album
The Who - Who's Next
Genesis - Duke

GMichael
04-17-2007, 08:28 AM
Haven't spun anything new in... in... uhm, a long time.
In the CD player now is:

Rush - Moving Pictures
Rush - 2112
Genesis - And then there were 3.
Eagles - best of
Chicago - best of
Beatles - All number 1 hits (or whatever it's called)

PeruvianSkies
04-17-2007, 08:43 AM
So I'm chillin' at home doing work and listening to the following:

APPLES IN STEREO
LUNA (Greatest Hits)
MASSIVE ATTACK (Greatest Hits w/ videos)
YO LA TENGO
and the new LOVEDRUG

ForeverAutumn
04-17-2007, 09:28 AM
I spun a bunch of oldies yesterday too...

Rush - Permanent Waves
Pink Floyd - Meddle and Wish You Were Here
Steely Dan - A Decade of Steely Dan

Today, I've been groovin' to:
Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Snow Patrol - Eyes Open

And I've been listening to a bunch of Paste Magazine Samplers that a collegue lent me. There's some really good stuff on them, but I'm still digesting them.

kexodusc
04-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Nine Inch Nails - "Year Zero" (awesome new CD, btw)
Coheed & Cambria - "...Silent Earth". Great tunes from a still-new-to-me band.
Still digging the 3 "The Doors" CD's I won on the radio a week and a bit ago - "LA Woman", "Morrison Hotel", and "The Doors"
Charles Mingus - "Mingus Ah Um"
Foreigner -
Gov't Mule - "Deja Voodoo" - who don't love the mule?
Even a bit of Foreigner (yeah, that's right, I went there).
Oh, and Mogwai - "Mr. Beast"
Might go grab the new Joel Plaskett Emergency...groovy little Canadian act I discovered that at least one other RRer found too...check'em out.

PeruvianSkies
04-17-2007, 10:18 AM
So i'm sitting here with medicine head listening to the MASSIVE ATTACK greatest hits and geeeeeeeeeeezus. This is actually the first time I've really had a good listening session with my new speakers + massive attack, so my entire house is rumbling like crazy with the rediculously low-end output on classic tracks like UNFINISHED SYMPATHY and ANGEL. Now, in my state of sickness my head is all congested, so the bass is like shaking my sinuses into working order again and taking the buildup in the chest and cracking away at the stiffness. Maybe Tylenol Cold&Flu + MASSIVE ATTACK is the best cure for any cold? Mmmmmm.. Ok, where's the NyQuil????

ForeverAutumn
04-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Might go grab the new Joel Plaskett Emergency...groovy little Canadian act I discovered that at least one other RRer found too...check'em out.

Hey Kex, if you grab the new disk, let me know what you think of it. I picked up Le De Da, which I think is more of a solo effort, and it came with an "Emergency" 3 song EP. I loved the EP songs, but wasn't so impressed with La De Da (kinda boring).

I walk around singing Nowhere With You all the time though!

ForeverAutumn
04-17-2007, 10:59 AM
So i'm sitting here with medicine head listening to the MASSIVE ATTACK greatest hits and geeeeeeeeeeezus. This is actually the first time I've really had a good listening session with my new speakers + massive attack, so my entire house is rumbling like crazy with the rediculously low-end output on classic tracks like UNFINISHED SYMPATHY and ANGEL. Now, in my state of sickness my head is all congested, so the bass is like shaking my sinuses into working order again and taking the buildup in the chest and cracking away at the stiffness. Maybe Tylenol Cold&Flu + MASSIVE ATTACK is the best cure for any cold? Mmmmmm.. Ok, where's the NyQuil????

Don't you love when being sick turns out to be fun! :3:

-Jar-
04-17-2007, 11:22 AM
just some comp called ECHOES OF DREAMS.

got some nice stuff on here.. 'cept I don't have the track list, but I think there's some Povi and Hooverphonic and Portishead and Floyd and Bowie.. some very Louisville-sounding thing.. June of '44 maybe.. or Shipping News.. not sure.

a track list would be cool and save me some Google time

RICK

:ihih:

oh yea, digging way back here.. listened to NAKED IF I WANT TO. yea, this was a good one too.. made by some derd niffer..

-jar

DariusNYC
04-17-2007, 12:16 PM
New platters:

LCD Soundsystem -- Sound of Silver. As a follow up to my thread last week, I hereby command the Rave Recs community to buy this and listen to it at a relatively loud volume.

Charlie Louvin (s/t). Yes, the Charlie Louvin of the Louvin Brothers of country/bluegrass fame. He's still alive, and has recorded this gorgeous album of old country classics of theirs and others. Also a touching new song called "Ira" in rememberence of his dead high-harmony-singing brother. Nice contrast to the LCDS!

Justin Timberlake -- FutureSex/LoveSounds. A little too boomy in the bass for me to enjoyably listen to straight through at my age, and contains some between-song Timbaland filler, but contains some very cool songs when heard individually. "My Love" is one of my favorite songs from last year.

Old stuff in rotation:

Rolling Stones -- Aftermath. I can admit that there is some filler on this one, but I still love it.

Belle & Sebastian -- Push Barman to Open Old Wounds. Wifey's favorite.

Massive Attack -- Mezzanine

Luna -- Bewitched

John Coltrane -- My Favorite Things

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers -- Damn the Torpedoes. A blessed blessed album.

Blur (s/t)

White Stripes -- Elephant. I continue to think this album was way overrated when it came out. Certain songs and moments on this are great, but I think White Blood Cells is much better.

The Arcade Fire -- Funeral. I keep trying to like this one, and it certainly seems like a thoughtful and emotionally intense album, but musically it's still leaving me flat. I guess I'm finding it boring. I'm still intrigued enough to want to hear their new album though.

3-LockBox
04-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Though I am looking forward to the release of the new PT album

I've been enjoying my MP3 player

I went back into my vault of comps from other people and ripped them to 256Kbps, along with some tunes I've downloaded from the web and some from other people, as well as my own stuff.

Some of the stuff I'm listening to include new stuff from Alabama Thunderpussy, Andrew Bird, Arcade Fire, Finger Eleven, Kaiser Cheifs, Kosheen, The Shins, The Stooges, and stuff from Slosh's latest comp offering.

Some stuff from last year includes Wishbone Ash, Tool, The Strokes, The Killers, the Flaming Lips, The Flowers Kings, Pearl Jam, OSI, Midlake, and Grizzly Bear.

Dusty Chalk
04-17-2007, 03:42 PM
So, do we still do a Tuesday listening thread 'round here?No, but you seem to've revived it. I'll come back with mine later.

bobsticks
04-17-2007, 03:45 PM
I stopped to pick up only Year Zero and as usual it didn't go according to plan. Walked out with the following:

Nine Inch Nails~Year Zero
land of talk~Applause,Cheer,Boo,Hiss
Bela Fleck~Left of Cool(hdcd)
Hubert Sumlin~About Them Shoes
Swordfish (The Album)~Paul Oakenfield
Lee Morgan~Sidewinder
Mum~Summer Make Good
KMFDM~Xtort
Klaxons~Magick(single)
Pat Martino~El Hombre
and
NP: The Eternals~Heavy International

It's gonna be a good week. Oh yeah, I love the mule (never thought I'd type that)

Ex Lion Tamer
04-17-2007, 03:57 PM
The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
Neko Case - Blacklisted
The Hold Steady - Boys & Girls in America
Kings of Leon - Because of the Times
Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
Shack - Waterpistol
Mark Lanegan - Whiskey & the Holy Ghost
Davey's still superb A Decade of Alternative Country

Slosh
04-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Band Of Horses - Everything All The Time (new-to-me)
NIN - Year Zero
Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
NP: (first spin)

newtrix1
04-17-2007, 04:32 PM
just some comp called ECHOES OF DREAMS.

got some nice stuff on here.. 'cept I don't have the track list, but I think there's some Povi and Hooverphonic and Portishead and Floyd and Bowie.. some very Louisville-sounding thing.. June of '44 maybe.. or Shipping News.. not sure.

a track list would be cool and save me some Google time

-jar

Cool, glad not all of them ended up as coasters :)

Echoes of Dreams

1) Define a Transpartent Dream – The Olivia Tremor Control
2) Magenta – Hooverphonic
3) Place in the Sun – Povi
4) Train – Lori Carson
5) Funny Time of Year – Beth Gibbons
6) Mysterons – Portishead
7) Somber Reptiles – Tracker
8) Arms Over Arteries - June of 44
9) Of the Girl – Pearl Jam
10) Buena Vista – Gomez
11) Something in the Air – David Bowie
12) Wearing the Inside Out – Pink Floyd
13) Shipbuilding – Elvis Costello

Rae
04-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Life Without Buildings - Any Other City
Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Get Happy!!
New Order - Low Life
Suicide Commandos - Make a Record
Jason Anderson - The Wreath, which I picked up with that $10 Best Buy gift certificate that I got instead of a Sly & the Family Stone box set
Siouxsie & the Banshees - The Scream [Deluxe Edition]
Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond

also picked up a little used vinyl, but none of it's hit the turntable yet:
The Auteurs - New Wave
Urban Verbs - Early Damage
Roxy Music - "Virginia Plain" 45

~Rae

Rae
04-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Lee Morgan~Sidewinder

Aw, that's a great record!

~Rae

ForeverAutumn
04-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Some of the stuff I'm listening to include new stuff from Alabama Thunderpussy, Andrew Bird, Arcade Fire, Finger Eleven, Kaiser Cheifs, Kosheen, The Shins, The Stooges, and stuff from Slosh's latest comp offering.

Nice to see Finger Eleven being listened to south of the border. I love that band!

Feanor
04-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Really the only thing I've listened to is a couple of Schubert piano trios:

Piano Trio in E Flat, D.929, Op.100
Piano Trio in E Flat, D.897, (Notturno Op. Posth. 148)These are on Naxos 8.550132. Really nice performance and very good sound.
http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/Schubert_D929.jpg

likeitloud
04-17-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm start'n vacation tomorrow, so it's like a friday to me so;

Van Halen---For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
AC/DC--Powerage
Iron Maiden--Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Godsmack--IV
Black Sabbath--The Dio Years

Nothing like Bud, JD and some screamin RNR.:5:

Luvin Da Blues
04-17-2007, 07:23 PM

Van Halen---For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
AC/DC--Powerage
Godsmack--IV
Black Sabbath--The Dio Years

Nothing like Bud, JD and some screamin RNR.:5:

Enjoy your time off....

Tell me, was the Seventh Son the product of Carnal Knowledge during the Powerage of th IVth Dio Year:idea:

Say Hi to Bud and Jack for me:cornut:

3-LockBox
04-17-2007, 10:54 PM

A good album...have you heard their last two though, Dance Of Death and Matter of Life and Death. IMO, every bit as good as Seventh Son.

Well, I got laid off last week, so I'm on indefinate Fridays, so... :( :17:

Bernd
04-18-2007, 06:55 AM
...something new (to me) and something old and something comforting.

"Charlie Byrd - The Guitar Artistry" as recommended by RL to me. Sounded great. I like.

"Jimmy Little - Messenger" A native australian singer/songwriter of some quality.

"Ben Folds - Songs for Silverman" A double album without a bad song on it.

"Genesis - Wind and Wuthering and A Trick of the Tail" No comment needed I am sure.

All on Vinyl.Bliss.

Peace

:16:

Resident Loser
04-18-2007, 07:10 AM
...something new (to me) and something old and something comforting.

"Charlie Byrd - The Guitar Artistry" as recommended by RL to me. Sounded great. I like.

"Jimmy Little - Messenger" A native australian singer/songwriter of some quality.

"Ben Folds - Songs for Silverman" A double album without a bad song on it.

"Genesis - Wind and Wuthering and A Trick of the Tail" No comment needed I am sure.

All on Vinyl.Bliss.

Peace

:16:

...Re: the CB disk...really glad it worked out...

jimHJJ(...thanks for the good press...)

Stone
04-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Mostly stuff for a mix for my son for his birthday, but other than that (very little of which is new):

The Zebras - Worry A Lot

Signal To Trust - Golden Armour

Manu Chao - Clandestino

MC5 - Kick Out the Jams

Bob Dylan - Live at Carnegie Hall 1963

Maserati - Inventions For the New Season

Davey
04-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Shack - Waterpistol
Nice stuff. Just listened to that myself, as I do pretty regularly. Made a copy for a buddy at work who is a big fan of the La's, but never heard of Shack. Does some of his own recording and takes a lot of inspiration from that early Who psychedelic sound. He's a big fan of the Lilys too. Have you heard that Philly psychedelia band? Pretty fun.

Anyway, just some of the usual odds and ends on my list ...

Hector Zazou - Songs from the Cold Seas (another regular listen to a favorite of mine, but broke it out mainly in response to the Siouxsie discussion, since she's one of the featured artists, although her song is kind of overshadowed by some of the other goodness on this CD)

Yo La Tengo - Electr-O-Pura (what can I say that I haven't said a hundred times before, if there is a better song than "Blue Line Swinger" ... then I haven't heard it. Patterns of sound are my bag right now)

Sparklehorse - Dreamt for Light Years ... (not my favorite, and I do really miss the highlights from the last one, especialy those with Polly Jean, but still one of my favorites from last year that always sounds pretty comforting)

Shack - Waterpistol (an almost lost classic slice of Brit-pop from the early 90s, but now feels almost like I grew up with it, even though I only got it about a year and a half ago)

Signal to Trust - Golden Armour (sometimes the street teamers are right about a record :))

Sly and the Family Stone - Stand! and Dance to the Music and There's a Riot Going On (from the new 7-CD box - very nicely done with plenty of dynamic range - if only all remasters were done respectfully like this instead of trying to make them sound like a modern in-yer-face distorted balls-to-the-walls pile-o-crap production ...)

Red Red Meat - There's a Star Above the Manger Tonight (Love the little English overview at Piero Scaruffi's site that I've been known to plagiarize freely, and with little remorse ... This, in turn, led to the abstract framework of There's A Star Above The Manger Tonight (1997), replete with synthesizer and other sophisticated arrangements, which was, de facto, a postmodernist exercise in stylistic deconstruction, bordering on trip-hop and ambient music while retaining the cacophony of Captain Beefheart and Pussy Galore.)

Silver Jews - Tanglewood Numbers (just a good listen, not as revelatory as American Water was to me back in the late 90s when I discovered them, but still very satisfying in a way that only Berman seems to capture for me)

Black Heart Procession - The Spell (some very high highlights that take me back to the BHP glory days of "2", such as the amazing "The Letter", but in honest reflection, kind of a letdown. If "2" is a 9 on my scale, then this is probably a 7, but a strong 7, just not one that I wil keep reaching for over the years like I do with "2")

Arcade Fire - Funeral (actually, if you play the BHP and Arcade Fire CDs back to back, they aren't much different, although I like BHP more. I tend to like the idea more than the execution, but I still think it is very good, especially for a low budget pseudo-debut, just not the greatness that quickly spread)

Luna - Bewitched (no idea why I love records like this so much, just some undefinable charm in the unassuming character of the music and the players, I guess)

Hey Mark, nice to see that Decade of A-C still gets dragged out on occasion. That was really almost a group comp. Popped in my Twilight last week too. Always wanted it to be kind of like the followup, and it was in some ways. Became a trilogy of sorts, with Decade, Twilight and Down the Road, but each a different flavor, almost like the musical chronicle of a journey. And now that I think about it, that one that Jar mentions could almost fit in the journey as well ... or maybe they all fit in that long strange trip it's been saga :)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/naked.jpg

nobody
04-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Suicide Commandos - Make a Record

~Rae

Always glad to see someone else dragging this one out. It's probably close to the top of fairly obscure albums I can drag out and make other people love when friends are over.

I wasn't gonna post here'cause I hate to just make a list and not say much about 'em, but don't have time for anything else at the moment, but oh well...here's a brief list of some stuff from this week...

Lee Perry: Arkology (fantastic collection of dub masterpieces)
Squeeze: Singles 45s and Under (80s pop rock perfection)
Arcade Fire: Neon Bible (better than Funeral)
!!!: Myth-Takes (love the Duane Eddy on Acid guitar line in the opening song)
Joy Division: Body & Soul (great box set)
Stax Singles Volume 2 (more late 60s soul than any one man can handle)
Air: Pocket Symphony (a weak Air album is still pretty good, ya know)
The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld (classic ambient house)
Teenage Kicks Compilations (fun stuff to relive your youth by)
The Clash: SIngles Box (fantastic, of course, it is The Clash)
Siouxsie & The Banshees: JuJu & Once Upon A Time (RAE, if you don't mind kinda scratchy burns of old vinyl, let me know if you wanna hear these)

Rich-n-Texas
04-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Mostly stuff for a mix for my son for his birthday, but other than that (very little of which is new):

The Zebras - Worry A Lot

Signal To Trust - Golden Armour

Manu Chao - Clandestino

MC5 - Kick Out the Jams

Bob Dylan - Live at Carnegie Hall 1963

Maserati - Inventions For the New Season

:yikes: Wow! MC5 fan? IIRC, Fred (Sonic) Smith, who later married Patti Smith, was lead guitar for the MC5. When my PC's working and can get into my iTunes library, I crank that tune up to piss off the neighbors. :ihih:

Yesterday:

Disc 2 of my new copy of the Led Zeppelin DVD set

Almost:

Queensryche: Empire DVD-A (almost because I'm awaiting a replacement for a defective disc)

I'm starting to build my anemic library, so this is a good topic for getting new ideas and jarring my memory about stuff I've forgotten about. :thumbsup:

likeitloud
04-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Enjoy your time off....

Tell me, was the Seventh Son the product of Carnal Knowledge during the Powerage of th IVth Dio Year:idea:

Say Hi to Bud and Jack for me:cornut:

LOL, that was good.

Davey
04-18-2007, 11:22 AM
LCD Soundsystem -- Sound of Silver. As a follow up to my thread last week, I hereby command the Rave Recs community to buy this and listen to it at a relatively loud volume.
More cowbell! Hey, ever see them performing daft punk is playing in my house on Letterman from the debut? Pretty cool, in a reminds me of all those days so long ago when I got to go see the Talking Heads make us all move in such quirky jerky ways. Fun stuff, even if not the most original sound ever. Gotta say, I definitely prefer the live sound, though :)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K3NqGGDO-3E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K3NqGGDO-3E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Rich-n-Texas
04-18-2007, 11:54 AM
:lol: Paul Schafer and the NBC Orchestra were really diggin it weren't they?

Yes, definately a heavy Talking Heads influence. You mention quirky jerky moves when listening to Talking Heads... I used to crack my buddies up when Love Shack was playing on the Juke box and I'd start dancing around like some kinda weirdo. Trust me, I had at least 3 bourbon-n-cokes in me before I got out there and made a fool of myself. :cool:

Stone
04-18-2007, 12:38 PM
:yikes: Wow! MC5 fan? IIRC, Fred (Sonic) Smith, who later married Patti Smith, was lead guitar for the MC5. :

Yep, MC5 fan. I hadn't listened to it in a while, and man that is some intense stuff.

likeitloud
04-18-2007, 01:42 PM
A good album...have you heard their last two though, Dance Of Death and Matter of Life and Death. IMO, every bit as good as Seventh Son.

Sorry to hear about your job issues, and yes those 2 lp's are excellent.

Rich-n-Texas
04-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Yep, MC5 fan. I hadn't listened to it in a while, and man that is some intense stuff.

LOL! Yeah, and that's putting it mildly. :eek:

Slosh,

I saw Artic Monkeys with some of my British friends from work (we're all in our late 40's BTW :thumbsup: ) at an old art deco theatre here in the Dallas area called the Granada Theatre. It's a very old venue that smells like a mildewy basement, but it's quite a popular attraction for some of the more obscure talent that you don't hear on the airwaves. They're considered an "Indie" band aren't they? Sounded great live. Very tight band.

Mike
04-18-2007, 03:07 PM
More cowbell! Hey, ever see them performing daft punk is playing in my house on Letterman from the debut? Pretty cool, in a reminds me of all those days so long ago when I got to go see the Talking Heads make us all move in such quirky jerky ways. Fun stuff, even if not the most original sound ever. Gotta say, I definitely prefer the live sound, though :)

Hey thanks for the link Dave enjoyed the performance but I've gotta' say somehow it doesn't seem right somehow hearing that sound performed by some podgey faced double chinned suited guy he should be some skinny kid in a t shirt! Never seen them but I bet they are good live they're coming to our local (about 5 miles away) 3 day festival in August along with Bloc Party, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, Red Hot Chili's, Nine Inch Nails, Razorlight, Interpol, Maximo Park, We Are Scientists and The Smashing Pumpkins. Might have to get a ticket, for at least one day.

My latest listens from the last week or two...

Kings Of Leon - Because of the Times, the difficult 3rd album? nah not for these guys

Richmond Fontaine - 13 Cities, his best yet IMO

Air - Pocket Symphony, a bit bland overall lacking some high points for me

Laura Veirs - Saltbreakers, saw her at a small venue last week with a really good show

Maximo Park - Our Earthly Pleasures, great album better than the debut

LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver

and some other stuff, some new some old
Low - Drums and Guns
Maylene and the Sons of Disaster
Jesse Sykes - Like Love, Lust etc
Idlewild - Make Another World
Jimmy Figureine - Fogotten what it's called, but good
Paul Brill - New Pagan Love Song
The Charlatans - Simpatico, still turning out solid stuff

Cheers
Mike

Rich-n-Texas
04-18-2007, 03:44 PM
As I'm typing this I'm listening to Psycho Killer!!! :eek:

Javier
04-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Bought new speakers so a lot of listening highlits are

Rodrigo and gabriela, tremendous guitar playing on this ceedee, highly reccomended for acoustic guitar fans.

Moody blues sacd specially foo our children IMHO the best off the five sacd´s.
Diana Krall the girl in the other room.

Sufjan Stevens illinoise and the avalanche.

Carmina burana ( telarc sacd).

Yes close to the edge.

Cat Stevens mona bone jackon.
Dead can dance serpent egg.
And a bunch more.
At my office Itunes shuffle.

Ex Lion Tamer
04-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Hey Mark, nice to see that Decade of A-C still gets dragged out on occasion. That was really almost a group comp.

I hadn't listened to it in a while, but was at a friends house for our weekly poker night and he popped it in the player much to my surprise. I told him I thought I'd mis-placed my copy and he was kind enough to burn ne for me. Brought back some really fond memories of a more innocent time here at Rave Recs. Still one of my favorite comps of all time. (I've since found my original copy).

Pat D
04-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Bach, Musical Offering. Richard Goebel, Musica Antiqua Koln. DG eloquence 4696802. Just bought this. This is very structural music and this brings that out. The recording is very nice but not especially realistic and is not very dynamic. The Penguin Guide did not much like it, but I do. Frederic the Great of Prussia, a pretty fair musician himself, proposed the theme to Bach, and wanted a 6 part fugue. Bach suggested that not all themes were suitable for that and picked out another theme and played it for the company. Bach's son, C. P. E. Bach, was harpsichordist for Frederick. Anyway, Bach composed a number of pieces based on Frederick's theme and dedicated the work to him.

I now have 3 recordings of it. Christian Benda and the Capella Istropolitana have a more realistic recording, Naxos 8.553286, probably a better general recommendation, but I like Goedel's recording quite a lot. The other is an older one on LP by Karl Muenchinger and the Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra on London STS 15063. It's nice but a little bland.

Berlioz, Les Nuits d'ete (summer nights); Arias by Jules Massenet. Measha Brueggergosman soprano; Yoav Talmi, Orchestre symphonique de Quebec. CBC Records SMCD 5236. This young woman has a fabulous voice, truly world class. Here's her website:

http://en.measha.com/index.php

Orff, Carmina Burana Suite (arrangement for concert band by John Krance); Bird, Serenade for Widn Instruments; Reed, La Fiesta Mexicana. Harlan D. Parker, The Peabody Conservatory Wind Ensemble. Naxos 8.570242. This band arrangement of Carmina Burana are great fun, and I think I like it better than the original. Carmina Burana is certainly great fun to perform, but really, I never listen to it (well . . . hardly ever!). The other two pieces are not bad but are not great music. Excellent recording quality.

Luciano Pavarotti. tenor, Nessun Dorma. Decca eloquence 467 462-2. This is a greatest hits type album of the younger Pavarotti. He sang very well, of course.

J. S. Bach, Goldberg Variations. Jeno Jando, piano. Naxos 8.557268. Jando is an amazing pianist, seemingly able to play everything well, though not necessarily better than some others. He's almost the Naxos "house pianist."

Mozart, Coronation Mass, Vesperae solennes, Exsultate Jubilate. Sir Neville Marriner, various soloists, Schola Cantorum Oxford, Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields. DG eloquence 467 416-2. Darned if I haven't sung in the Coronation Mass. I probably have the score around somewhere.

Mozart, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Serenata Notturna, Divertimento in F major, k. 247 (Lodrun Night Music, no. 1). Petter Sundkvist, Swedish Chamber Orchestra. Naxos 8.557023. I wanted to see what the Lodrun Night Music was like, and with these performers, I knew I could hardly go wrong.

Diana Krall, from this moment on. Verve VERW344940.

Davey
04-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Hey thanks for the link Dave enjoyed the performance but I've gotta' say somehow it doesn't seem right somehow hearing that sound performed by some podgey faced double chinned suited guy he should be some skinny kid in a t shirt!
Heehee, yea, looks more like the aging frontman on some reunion tour, huh? But they do amp it up in person. They were just on again last week doing the single from Silver, "North American Scum". Another glitchy one, that comes off something a bit different live. I guess it's more upfront, and faster, and loses some of the twitch. Cute keyboard girl backing vox could be turned down a notch, and winds up sounding a little repetitive, but still loads of fun. Looked almost like a repeat with the same layout, and the same Paul S and his band of clapping hands. Goofballs :)

Forgot to mention the new Blonde Redhead yesterday, but that's been easily my most listened to record of late. Pretty intoxicating stuff, even if a bit fluffy. I think there's around 5 full mp3 available online at various places, mostly 192K quality too. If you get a chance to hear "The Dress", give it a shot. Probably the highlight. I'll upload it to my site later and edit in a link, leave it for a day or so. Maybe it will be the inaugural Davey's song of the day (or probably week). Don't know how long my site will stay up since I haven't been paying for almost six months, but I can still ftp to it. Guess it would be silly of them to disable it just for a few MBytes of storage. Maybe if I get a bunch of mp3 downloads going they will notice :)

EDIT: and here it is, presenting the silly new but soon to be discontinued, catch it while you can, Davey's Song of the Day (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/songoftheday.htm)!!!!

Mike
04-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Forgot to mention the new Blonde Redhead yesterday, but that's been easily my most listened to record of late. Pretty intoxicating stuff, even if a bit fluffy. I think there's around 5 full mp3 available online at various places, mostly 192K quality too. If you get a chance to hear "The Dress", give it a shot. Probably the highlight. I'll upload it to my site later and edit in a link, leave it for a day or so. Maybe it will be the inaugural Davey's song of the day (or probably week). Don't know how long my site will stay up since I haven't been paying for almost six months, but I can still ftp to it. Guess it would be silly of them to disable it just for a few MBytes of storage. Maybe if I get a bunch of mp3 downloads going they will notice :)

Thanks for the link again, fluffy as you say, but right up my street. It's just hit my wishlist.

Forgot to mention I finally did a 2 disc best of 2006 and some of it might interest you, if you want a copy pm me with your address. I sent a few copies out a few weeks ago but didn't have your address at the time. Here's the tracklist....

Disc 1 Strange Days
1. Snow Patrol - Open Your Eyes (5:38)
2. Shack - Tie Me Down (3:30)
3. Guster - Satellite (4:30)
4. Arctic Monkeys - A Certain Romance (5:27)
5. Flaming Lips - It Overtakes Me (6:46)
6. Built To Spill - Liar (5:07)
7. Alexi Murdoch - Blue Mind (5:38)
8. Kate Bush - An Architects Dream (4:44)
9. Ray Lamontagne - Barfly (3:52)
10. Marconi Union - Sleepless (5:37)
11. Thievery Corporation - Strange Days (4:18)
12. Zero Seven - Crosses (6:34)
13. Now It’s Overhead - Walls (3:41)
14. Yo La Tengo - Pass The Hatchet…(10:40)
15. Electric President - Snow On Dead…(3:21)

Disc 2 So This Is Goodbye
1. Sparklehorse - Shade and Honey (4:08)
2. Sunshine Underground- Dead Scene (3:55)
3. Amy Winehouse - Rehab (3:34)
4. Beck - Think I’m in Love (3:19)
5. Absentee - Getaway (2:54)
6. The Infadels - Love Like Semtex (3:47)
7. Twilight Singers - Dead to Right (4:25)
8. The Hold Steady - Chillout Tent (3:42)
9. Graham Coxon - See a Better Day (5:11)
10. Grandaddy - Elevate Myself (3:41)
11. Gomez - Girl Shaped Love Drug
12. The Decemberists - O’ Valencia (4:18)
13. Bonnie Prince Billy - Strange Form Of Life
14. Junior Boys - So This is Goodby (5:19)
15. Scott Matthews - Elusive (3:43)
16. The Guillemots - If The World Ends (6:20)
17. Calexico - Deep Down (4:31)
18. Midlake - Roscoe (4:49)
19. The Secret Machines - Lightning Blue Eyes (5:31)

Cheers
Mike

nobody
04-19-2007, 11:42 AM
those discs are really great Mike...thanks a ton. I like the second one best, although both are quite good, and much new to me.

Mike
04-19-2007, 12:21 PM
those discs are really great Mike...thanks a ton. I like the second one best, although both are quite good, and much new to me.

No problem, glad you like them

Cheers
Mike

Rae
04-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Siouxsie & The Banshees: JuJu & Once Upon A Time (RAE, if you don't mind kinda scratchy burns of old vinyl, let me know if you wanna hear these)

'Scool. I'll probably just find 'em when I find 'em-- I did put them on my wishlist so I'll remember to keep an eye out when I'm vinyl shopping.

~Rae

ForeverAutumn
04-23-2007, 06:57 AM

That sucks. Didn't you just start a new job not too long ago, or am I confusing you with someone else?

I hope that you find something else real soon. In the meantime, try to enjoy some relaxation time.