Best sounding classical CD in your collection [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best sounding classical CD in your collection

Bingo
04-17-2007, 06:52 AM
:23: :17: This old man tries to think of 'new' ideas but there are so many brilliant members that thinking of something that hasn't been thought of is next to impossible....but I got to thinking that some CDs are next to perfect on anyone's system. I would like to begin by naming the following CD as one that reproduces on my own system in a most satisfactory way: Phillips 456-330-2 Rossini: The Complete String Sonatas....its a 2 CD pack. Rossini's music outshines the rest of the album, but it is all pretty good stuff. Now...as anyone else joins in the fun and names THEIR favorite CLASSICAL Album we can all sample them online and increase our own collections if we too like their album. Everyone's taste is different, however, so there won't be universal agreement. Anyway for those newcomers to the computer who don't already know it, you can go to Amazon, or iClassics, or Barnes and Noble websites and sample quite a few classical CDs....that can give you a taste of the music someone recommends. On your mark, get set.....GO! ........ Bingo

Feanor
04-17-2007, 07:21 AM
:23: :17: This old man tries to think of 'new' ideas but there are so many brilliant members that thinking of something that hasn't been thought of is next to impossible....but I got to thinking that some CDs are next to perfect on anyone's system. I would like to begin by naming the following CD as one that reproduces on my own system in a most satisfactory way: Phillips 456-330-2 Rossini: The Complete String Sonatas....its a 2 CD pack. Rossini's music outshines the rest of the album, but it is all pretty good stuff. Now...as anyone else joins in the fun and names THEIR favorite CLASSICAL Album we can all sample them online and increase our own collections if we too like their album. Everyone's taste is different, however, so there won't be universal agreement. Anyway for those newcomers to the computer who don't already know it, you can go to Amazon, or iClassics, or Barnes and Noble websites and sample quite a few classical CDs....that can give you a taste of the music someone recommends. On your mark, get set.....GO! ........ Bingo

Pretty much my favorite classical album from a sound quality perspective is this one which is one I always use to evaluate components, (it's HDCD) ...
RUTTER Requiem and Five Anthems; Reference Recordings RR-57
http://www.referencerecordings.com/choraleorgan.asp
http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/Rutter_Requiem_pic.jpg

IMHO, the BEST source source for classical recordings in North America is Archiv Music ...
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/main.jsp

Another popular one, located in the UK, is MDT Mail Order ...
http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/pages/home/default.asp?

A discount seller a lot of people use is Berkshire Record Outlet ...
http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/

kexodusc
04-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Carmina Burana - conducted by Jochum, Deutsche Grammophon is probably my favorite CD performance/recording. I have a bunch of SACD's that are better though.

I also have a Gorecki Symphony #3 disc that is excellent as well, but I can't recall the rest of the info.

I'd love to find some Rachmaninoff on CD that wasn't butchered. Anyone have any suggestions?

kelsci
04-17-2007, 07:48 AM
I like a Carmen Burina amd a Applachian Spring rendition on a telarc label.

JohnMichael
04-17-2007, 07:54 AM
Carmina Burana - conducted by Jochum, Deutsche Grammophon is probably my favorite CD performance/recording. I have a bunch of SACD's that are better though.

I also have a Gorecki Symphony #3 disc that is excellent as well, but I can't recall the rest of the info.

I'd love to find some Rachmaninoff on CD that wasn't butchered. Anyone have any suggestions?

Kex you might want to try Rachmaninov (early spelling of name on cd) Piano Concerto No. 3. EMI Classics with Leif Ove Andsnes and the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Paavo Berglund. It is a good live recording.

kexodusc
04-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Kex you might want to try Rachmaninov (early spelling of name on cd) Piano Concerto No. 3. EMI Classics with Leif Ove Andsnes and the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Paavo Berglund. It is a good live recording.
Hey there we go...will do. I've got several CD's, but they're usually re-issue "classics" sorts that really aren't well transferred or recorded. I havent' been able to find many good suggestions, but I'm sure there must be plenty of good disc out there. Early spelling, huh? I think the name is spelled differently on at least 4 CD's I have.

GMichael
04-17-2007, 08:35 AM
I would love to pick up a good classical CD. I have heard classical music that I've liked but didn't know anything about it. I do know that I like music with a lot of dynamics. Something intricate that has great timing from all the instruments. Love it when one instrument starts a riff and another picks it up and still more finish it. Anyone got names of music like that?

Bingo
04-17-2007, 08:59 AM
I am going to recommend a CD to you that covers the entire symphony orchestra the album number is important...anyone answering this ought to give the number of the CD they are talking about...The CD is LONDON 417509-2 and the title of the Album is THE YOUNG PERSON'S GUIDE TO THE ORCHESTRA ...I think you will find just what you said you liked in this album...each instrument begins and then others join in so that towards the last you are hearing the entire symphony orchestra of about 76 or more musicians playing together....let me know if you get this and if you like it. Bingo

JohnMichael
04-17-2007, 09:27 AM
I would love to pick up a good classical CD. I have heard classical music that I've liked but didn't know anything about it. I do know that I like music with a lot of dynamics. Something intricate that has great timing from all the instruments. Love it when one instrument starts a riff and another picks it up and still more finish it. Anyone got names of music like that?

Mike when I was first learning to enjoy classical music it was Mussorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhibition" that caught my interest. There is a recurring musical theme that ties the piece together. The orchestrated versions have great tonal color and wide dynamics. Also Holst's "The Planets" is a great cd to try. Rimsky-Kosakov's "Scheherazade" is a beuatiful piece.

PeruvianSkies
04-17-2007, 10:12 AM
I'd like to chime in my few cents worth on this topic, because I think it's a very relevant one. I grew up listening to classical music, but truly began to love and appreciate it when I started playing it myself. I was in band from 4th grade until 12th grade then into college with various symphonies and such. I also started learning guitar when I was 16 and took some classical guitar lessons in college as well. My classical appreciation grew steadily and my passion for it became non-stop. I listened to more and more and I think that most people who are exposed to classical music early on in their life begin a steadfast relationship with it. I'd also like to point out that listening to good quality recordings are also key in truly apprecaiting it as well. Also, hearing a live orchestra, just like watching a sporting event live, makes all the difference in the world. I am ever-more passionate about classical recordings with things like SACD and now having a much better system than I ever have before, which certainly elevates my senses, including my passion.

GMichael
04-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Mike when I was first learning to enjoy classical music it was Mussorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhibition" that caught my interest. There is a recurring musical theme that ties the piece together. The orchestrated versions have great tonal color and wide dynamics. Also Holst's "The Planets" is a great cd to try. Rimsky-Kosakov's "Scheherazade" is a beuatiful piece.

Thanks John,

I look forward to trying them.

recoveryone
04-17-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm not a classical music guy, but it was a demo of a classical cd in a audio shop back in 84 that got me hooked on the cd format. I was a die hard vinly man. Some may miss the old scratching and popping of vinly, but not me. I remember just standing there and hearing the bows sliding over the strings and the pure clean sound. I may have shedded a tear.

kexodusc
04-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks John,

I look forward to trying them.
Hey GM, my old music teacher got me into classical by introducing me to 3 works that I'll pass on to you.

First, I'll second Hoist's "The Planets" (by the way, who's got a good SACD of this?).

Second. I also think Orff's Carmina Burana is great for lots of dynamics and a great introduction to choral music. (you'll recognize O Fortuna! right away, and think that the music from the original The Omen movie and many others totally ripped it off).
Finally, Beethoven's 5th! - Often cited as the greatest musical piece ever (not my fav, but it is incredible). Got an SACD player? Then get he Kleiber disc with the 5th and 7th symphonies by Deutsche Grammophon...
These are 3 of the most popular classical pieces ever and you're sure to recognize a few bits from each. I won't say they're the best, but I've found them to be very successful "first takes" at something more than a compilation or movie soundtrack for several newbies I've tried exposing to classical.

When you buy classical music, be sure to find out which "versions" of each piece to get. There's so many "The Planets" out there and music stores often carry the cheap ones. The conductor, record company, even individual performance can all result in 2 totally different experiences.

Good luck man.

GMichael
04-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Hey GM, my old music teacher got me into classical by introducing me to 3 works that I'll pass on to you.

First, I'll second Hoist's "The Planets" (by the way, who's got a good SACD of this?).

Second. I also think Orff's Carmina Burana is great for lots of dynamics and a great introduction to choral music. (you'll recognize O Fortuna! right away, and think that the music from the original The Omen movie and many others totally ripped it off).
Finally, Beethoven's 5th! - Often cited as the greatest musical piece ever (not my fav, but it is incredible). Got an SACD player? Then get he Kleiber disc with the 5th and 7th symphonies by Deutsche Grammophon...
These are 3 of the most popular classical pieces ever and you're sure to recognize a few bits from each. I won't say they're the best, but I've found them to be very successful "first takes" at something more than a compilation or movie soundtrack for several newbies I've tried exposing to classical.

When you buy classical music, be sure to find out which "versions" of each piece to get. There's so many "The Planets" out there and music stores often carry the cheap ones. The conductor, record company, even individual performance can all result in 2 totally different experiences.

Good luck man.

Cool, I'll give it a go.

Feanor
04-17-2007, 12:08 PM

Finally, Beethoven's 5th! - Often cited as the greatest musical piece ever (not my fav, but it is incredible). Got an SACD player? Then get he Kleiber disc with the 5th and 7th symphonies by Deutsche Grammophon.

Good luck man.

I have a Planets on SACD; this one Chesky Records. It is multi-channel and, I think but not entirely certain, originally recorded in DSD, the native SACD format ...
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?label_id=88&bcorder=6&name_id=5516&name_role=1
It's a pretty good performance and pretty good sound, both stereo and M/C, though I could imagine better.

With regard to Kleiber's Beethoven's Symphonies 5 & 7, I have the SACD version, (also a fairly recent CD and the original LP release). Of course, it's possibly the most famous and best performance available. However multi-channel sound is OK but not, IMO, the very best example of M/C that is available by a long shot; (same for the stereo sound). Let's remember that this recording wasn't originally recorded with M/C in mind, and the only reason is was possible was DG's infamous technique of using numerous microphones. The M/C is, to me, rather contrived and unconvincing. Nevertheless here's a link ...
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=62871

As you look past the standard "warhorses" of the Romantic repertoire, one of the first compositions you should investigate is J.S. Bach's Brandenburg Concertos: these are exquisite jems of the Baroque era and classical music in general. This is a very good version I have; very good for performance and sound, (though not SACD) ...
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=9358

Woochifer
04-17-2007, 02:03 PM
For simple enjoyment of the sound quality, I would probably put the Leonard Slatkin/St. Louis Symphony performance of Gershwin's "American In Paris," "Rhapsody in Blue," "Cuban Overture," and "Porgy & Bess" at the top of the list. Some people might get put off by the close miking on a few of the instruments, but otherwise it's a great recording and the Mobile Fidelity CD/SACD has absolutely exquisite sound quality whether you go with the 2-channel CD or SACD, or 4.0 multichannel SACD track. If anything, this demonstrates how good a playback rig MoFi uses in their mastering process.

As far as recreating the live experience, the San Francisco Symphony's Mahler series does a great job of capturing what the audience hears inside of Davies Symphony Hall. Granted, Davies Hall does not have great acoustics, and these recordings don't try to disguise that. I would highly recommend either Symphony #1 or #6, with #1 getting the nod if you're not familiar with Mahler. Even though it's probably the best performance and recording in the series, #6 is a heavy tragically-themed piece that the SF Symphony recorded the day after 9/11, so it can be a very draining intro to Mahler if anyone opts for this piece first. All of the works in this series (only the massive Symphony #8 has yet to be recorded) were originally recorded in DSD, are hybrid CD/SACD releases, and for the most part are superb performances (3 of them -- #1, #6, and #7 -- have won Grammys for Best Orchestral Performance). While the CD layer already sounds top notch, the 2-channel and multichannel SACD layers further enhance the listening enjoyment.

With classical though, it's always a balancing act between the performance and the sound quality, since they don't always correlate. A lot of the best performances I've heard are unfortunately mediocre recordings (including Arturo Toscanini's work with the NBC Symphony, and a lot of Columbia's recordings of Leonard Bernstein with the NY Philharmonic), but that does nothing to diminish the genius of those interpretations.

If you want timing and intricacies, you should probably look into any number of Mozart's symphonic pieces. His works provide an almost pure perfection of form.

Beethoven's Ninth breaks a lot of form and has abrupt transitions, but there are few listening experiences more awe inspiring listening than the Ode to Joy motif in the 4th movement. Purely for the performance, I would look for the 1962 version from Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony (recording has a lot of hiss, and the CD versions I've heard from RCA were indifferently mastered).

If you want massive dynamics, another piece to try out would be Verdi's Requiem (I'm also looking for a good SACD version of this piece if anyone knows of one). Very inspiring piece, along with a lot of very familiar passages that you've probably heard before.

For massive dynamics and borderline insane overlapping layers of complexity, look no further than Mahler's Eighth (aka The Symphony of a Thousand). The full orchestration of this piece requires an oversized orchestra with multiple sections for different instruments, six choruses, a pipe organist, and eight vocal soloists. It literally takes almost a thousand people to stage this piece in its full form. Among the versions I've heard, I would go for George Solti's 1971 recording with the Chicago Symphony.

emorphien
04-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Wow, already too many suggestions, I don't know where to begin looking to get some new material to listen to.

I'm a fan of orchestral pieces, choir not so much. Intricate, dynamic and well recorded classical music has always captured my interest, unfortunately I don't have much in my collection and there's so much out there I have no idea where to begin. If I could pick up 5 to 10 really good recordings I would.

Woochifer, I believe I've heard Requiem before, any suggestions on a good standard Red Book (or HDCD) release?

Dusty Chalk
04-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Holst: the Susskind on MFSL, IIRC, sounds wonderful...IIRC, I like the Gardiner on DG; the Bernstein on Sony, but I remember liking the first one that included the 8th movement added by Dean the most, as it had the entirety of both versions (the original 7-movement version that wasn't on the CD), I liked the performance, and thought the fidelity was beyond reproach. I'll go back and listen and report back later...much later...my older SACD's (where most of these are) are kind of buried right now.

Bingo -- great thread! Every time I hear one that I find particularly good-sounding, I'll report back to this thread. Unfortunately, most of my favourite sounding classical disks are DAD's, SACD's, and the like, but I do occasionally come across CD's that I find particularly good. I remember liking one from Arts Music of Dvorak's 9th a lot, no, not this one (http://artsmusic.de/templates/tyReleasesD.php?id=120&label=red%20line&topic=arts-releases-detail), looks like they might've discontinued it. Actually, now that I look at it, it might've been that one...will dig it out and check.

bobsticks
04-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Hey Bingo,

I'm apologizing in advance. Get ready for overload...

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=18498

Bingo
04-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Not that it matters, but somehow my original idea got buried. Anyway what resulted has been extremely interesting.....and I applaud the responses to my simple request... but...

but let's see if I can get this back on track. My point was to have classical music lovers indicate a SINGLE DISC that they felt was extremely good sounding on THEIR SYSTEM.I had in mind that any one of us could see if the same disc sounded as good on our own system for a comparison.

I do not want this to detract from my genuine appreciation of what has taken place here....it is good to have musicl lovers express their thoughts about their particular list of music they love....it is very rewarding to me and I am sure that it is to anyone who loves classical music.

Lets continue with order, harmony, rhythm and all the other qualities that makes good music an integral part of our lives.

Bingo...

kexodusc
04-18-2007, 05:36 AM
However multi-channel sound is OK but not, IMO, the very best example of M/C that is available by a long shot; (same for the stereo sound). Let's remember that this recording wasn't originally recorded with M/C in mind, and the only reason is was possible was DG's infamous technique of using numerous microphones. The M/C is, to me, rather contrived and unconvincing. Nevertheless here's a link ...

Really? That's kinda funny, I have the totally opposite impression - the quad mic scheme used really does at great job (at least when I play it) at creating a convincing ambience effect. Unlike DSP's it does a great job of putting you in a concert hall, IMO. Not my favorite M/C disc by any means, but I very much enjoy it. I don't think M/C was in mind, at least not today's ITU 5.1 alignment, but I feel they did a great job transferring it. It was inteded for surround sound, and we're hearing it in all it's glory for the first time. There was no dedicated.1 LFE track so you have to process the bass for those who want to use subs. That is a flaw I live with though. Usually I find M/C mixes for classical perform addition by subtraction - in this instance the front sound stage doesn't suffer at all and I don't recall ever hearing any notes originating out of place or behind me. This is one of my favorite M/C mixes because of the simple approach used - not trying to do too much. I'll confess to being biased because I like the performance in 2 ch so much.

Anyway, the stereo mix makes this SACD worth the price alone.

GMichael
04-18-2007, 06:00 AM
For simple enjoyment of the sound quality, I would probably put the Leonard Slatkin/St. Louis Symphony performance of Gershwin's "American In Paris," "Rhapsody in Blue," "Cuban Overture," and "Porgy & Bess" at the top of the list. Some people might get put off by the close miking on a few of the instruments, but otherwise it's a great recording and the Mobile Fidelity CD/SACD has absolutely exquisite sound quality whether you go with the 2-channel CD or SACD, or 4.0 multichannel SACD track. If anything, this demonstrates how good a playback rig MoFi uses in their mastering process.

As far as recreating the live experience, the San Francisco Symphony's Mahler series does a great job of capturing what the audience hears inside of Davies Symphony Hall. Granted, Davies Hall does not have great acoustics, and these recordings don't try to disguise that. I would highly recommend either Symphony #1 or #6, with #1 getting the nod if you're not familiar with Mahler. Even though it's probably the best performance and recording in the series, #6 is a heavy tragically-themed piece that the SF Symphony recorded the day after 9/11, so it can be a very draining intro to Mahler if anyone opts for this piece first. All of the works in this series (only the massive Symphony #8 has yet to be recorded) were originally recorded in DSD, are hybrid CD/SACD releases, and for the most part are superb performances (3 of them -- #1, #6, and #7 -- have won Grammys for Best Orchestral Performance). While the CD layer already sounds top notch, the 2-channel and multichannel SACD layers further enhance the listening enjoyment.

With classical though, it's always a balancing act between the performance and the sound quality, since they don't always correlate. A lot of the best performances I've heard are unfortunately mediocre recordings (including Arturo Toscanini's work with the NBC Symphony, and a lot of Columbia's recordings of Leonard Bernstein with the NY Philharmonic), but that does nothing to diminish the genius of those interpretations.

If you want timing and intricacies, you should probably look into any number of Mozart's symphonic pieces. His works provide an almost pure perfection of form.

Beethoven's Ninth breaks a lot of form and has abrupt transitions, but there are few listening experiences more awe inspiring listening than the Ode to Joy motif in the 4th movement. Purely for the performance, I would look for the 1962 version from Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony (recording has a lot of hiss, and the CD versions I've heard from RCA were indifferently mastered).

If you want massive dynamics, another piece to try out would be Verdi's Requiem (I'm also looking for a good SACD version of this piece if anyone knows of one). Very inspiring piece, along with a lot of very familiar passages that you've probably heard before.

For massive dynamics and borderline insane overlapping layers of complexity, look no further than Mahler's Eighth (aka The Symphony of a Thousand). The full orchestration of this piece requires an oversized orchestra with multiple sections for different instruments, six choruses, a pipe organist, and eight vocal soloists. It literally takes almost a thousand people to stage this piece in its full form. Among the versions I've heard, I would go for George Solti's 1971 recording with the Chicago Symphony.

Wow! Thanks Wooch, Kex, Bob, Dusty, emorphien, Feanor, Bingo and anyone I left off. So much to choose from, it's hard to know where to start.
Sorry Bingo, I didn't mean to de-rail your thread. Hope it gets back on track (punn intended) now.

Mike

JohnMichael
04-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Mahler Symphony 5

Berlin Philharmonic

Simon Rattle conducting
EMI Classics

Good recording and performance.

R.S.
04-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Borodin- Symphony No. 2 in B Minor / Petite Suite / Polotsvian Dances, Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra, Gennady Rozhdestvensky, Conductor- Chandos DDD 1995.

Pat D
04-19-2007, 07:05 AM
For me, it's often the one I'm listening to at that moment! There are so many really good ones I can't really pick just one. Because overtures are often neglected in discussions, I have picked pick an excellent recording which has stood the test of time which I am confident many people will enjoy.

Suppe and Auber Overtures. Paul Paray, Detroit Symphony Orchestra. Mercury 434 309-2.

http://www.amazon.com/Suppe-Overtures-Light-Cavalry-Auber/dp/B0000057LK/ref=sr_1_2/102-6312748-9244906?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1176994713&sr=1-2

But there are lots of others. I put a list of CDs which I have found to be well-recorded in the thread which bobsticks has linked above.

Glen B
04-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Pictures at An Exhibition, Nicholas Danby organist, at Ely Cathedral - Helios label.

bobsticks
04-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Narrowing it down to one is virtually impossible but I'll stick with the Emmanuel Ax/YoYo Ma~Cello Sonatas that I recommended in the other thread...

...but I have been listening to this quite a bit lately.
(sorry, I couldn't help myself :) )

Bingo
04-21-2007, 06:35 AM
Pictures at An Exhibition, Nicholas Danby organist, at Ely Cathedral - Helios label. Many years ago in my vinyl days, I had a recording of Pictures at an Exhibition on a Musical Heritage Society Label...anybody hear of them? But my favorite rendition of "Pictures" was an orchestration....I don't have the label and the number handy...but on haloween night when the youngsters came to 'trick or treat' I would have the ORGAN version of that recording playing...it sounds a bit Haloweenie in parts...I believe that Ravel did the orchestration for the orchestra version ... I am reminded to dig into my old stock of Vinyl recordings and find that Organ version and play it again and see how it sounds after all these years...I'll bet my version won't sound as good as yours. Bingo.

nightflier
04-23-2007, 03:08 PM
GMichael,

Much of what has been suggested represents the "greatest hits" of classical and the stuff that usually appears in movies. They are, undoubtedly excellent pieces, but they only scratch the surface. Since it sounds like you don't have SACD, I'll skip that recommendation, although SACD is one of the formats where classical shines. I think JohnMichael had some excellent suggestions with the Rach 3 and Mahler 5th. I have heard that Mahler wrote it as an answer to Beethoven's 5th, and it certainly does not disappoint, especially the Wedding March (1st movement), which the Berlin Philharmonic plays very well (many recordings will play this too fast). Mahler, is however, considered part of the Romantic tradition (along with Wagner & others) and may be a bit modern-sounding, so I won't knock Beethoven, Orff, and Mozart any more than I have to.

One little trick that has usually steered me in the right direction, especially with the pre-1900 composers, is to choose symphonies/composers by nationality when buying CD's. So for example, Austrian symphonies/directors tend to do Strauss better than let's say, Copeland. This is not to say that Billy The Kid (another great piece, by the way) won't be good, but, speaking very generally, the better performances tend to have some cultural connection - maybe it's because there is an added sense of pride that the players have, I don't know.

There are lots of exceptions, to be sure. One of which is Wooch's recommendation: Mahler's 6th from the SF Symphony Orchestra. I've read on several occasions that the venue was not the greatest for the recording, but frankly, it does not bother me as much, although I may be not be listening for those details. One thing is for sure, you will need good equipment to hear those kinds of subtleties, and I'm not satisfied that I have the gear. Anyhow, I listen to the music, how it was written and how the players play it more than other factors.

To get back to Bingo's question, one of my favorite recordings of late that I keep returning to is Alan Hovhaness's Mysterious Mountains on Telarc by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. I have it on SACD, but it's also available on RBCD straight from Telarc. I like Hovhaness's Asian-influenced compositions (thanks to his wife's influence) and this CD has many examples. Even for those new to classical, the last section of the CD, which is not part of the three symphonies, the Storm on Mount Wildcat, Op. 2/2, is definitely dynamic and exciting and reminds many people of Dukas' Sorcerer's Apprentice (of Fantasia fame).

Another CD I am really impressed with is Henryk Gorecki's Symphony 3 "Sorrowful Songs," by the Warsaw Philharmonic Chamber Orchestra, directed by Kazimierz Kord. The recording is not what grabs me (I suspect that many people will say it's not a good recording), but I am very taken with the writing: Gorecky definitely ranks up there with the top modern composers, IMHO, despite being almost entirely unknown. The recording probably suffers from less-than-adequate resources available in Poland for making world-class recordings, but I've read that the London Symphony recording of the same piece is somewhat better (albeit, not newer).

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents.

Bingo
04-24-2007, 01:25 AM
Nightflier...your response was a musical tour of great interest.... I will be reading it more than once to assimilate from it some of the more than interesting facets of good music. I say more than 'interesting' ...perhaps fascinating...or intriguing might be a better term. Obviously you have a great love for what I would call 'good' music, and draw from it many fulfilling experiences. I don't believe many people realize how enriching music can be. In a society distracted by so many things, many do now slow down enough to enjoy this kind of experience...an experience, by the way, that transcends music itself. I believe that one needs leisure in order to enJOY good music. I must have the TIME to really LISTEN in order to have a truly enriching musical experience. In my own case, if I don't have the time to sit down and focus all of my attention on the music itself, then I don't play it. For me background music, no matter how good it is, becomes noise. I'm quite sure that not many people are like me in that respect. But for me to hear music playing in the background is like someone reading a book in the background.... so much is missed! Excuse these comments...they come from an 83 year old fart!

nightflier
04-24-2007, 09:59 AM
...But for me to hear music playing in the background is like someone reading a book in the background.... so much is missed! Excuse these comments...they come from an 83 year old fart!

I'm with you 100%. I hate not being able to hear the music clearly. I think this is a dying pleasure. Most everyone I know has background music going at work and during meetings, the TV on 24-7, and top-40 radio with constant commercials on in the car. It's incredibly annoying to try and "find" the music through all the noise. I'm pretty sure that my hearing isn't all that good anymore either, so all that other stuff just adds to the distraction.

Music, particularly complex music like symphonic classical (Berlioz, Mahler, etc.) needs to be unencumbered by noise. There is something about going into my 2-channel room (my wife call it my man-cave), locking the door, putting on an LP of Schubert's Unfinished, setting the volume at 11'oclock, and forgetting for a little while that the rest of the world exists - and there's a lot to forget these days...

And while it's not the same kind of music, I'll say the same for Jazz. I've been listening to this Coleman Hawkins CD I got in the mail and it has a great sound - it's like sitting in that smoky club, just after sunset, after a hot and steamy summer day in downtown Brooklin...

GMichael
04-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks Night,

I have received many comps from wonderful members here at AR sinse I made my first comment. I'll look through the huge pile to see how many of your suggestions are among them.
I don't think my system is even close to what many people here have, but it will do for now.