New Member [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Terry D
04-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Hi folks, I'm currently in the UK and hope to emigrate to BC Canada near the end of the summer. Among the mountain of changes coming up, I'll have to upgrade my hifi and AV systems. Deep joy. I know there are a lot of differences to take into account across the pond, so I hope you'll bear with me as I try and negotiate myself through the minefield.
Kind Regards, Terry D.

JohnMichael
04-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Welcome to AudioReview.

basite
04-16-2007, 11:43 AM
well hi there, and welcome to the analog room too :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

markw
04-16-2007, 03:10 PM
One of the first things I'd verify is the voltage and frequency currently (pun intended) used in BC.

the UK uses 230/50hz, no? The US uses 120/60hz and since Canada follows the US like a hungry puppy, this could cause some issues if BC's electricity follows this pattern.

Luvin Da Blues
04-16-2007, 07:16 PM
One of the first things I'd verify is the voltage and frequency currently (pun intended) used in BC.

the UK uses 230/50hz, no? The US uses 120/60hz and since Canada follows the US like a hungry puppy, this could cause some issues if BC's electricity follows this pattern.

The only reason The US uses 120v/60hz is because Canada supplies most of your electrical power:incazzato:

Anywho, where in BC are you thinking of relocating to. I live in the interior of BC and IMO is the best place on this earth to live...little crime (because we DON'T follow the US like a hungry puppy), clean air (because we DON'T follow the US like a hungry puppy), friendly people (because we DON'T follow the US like a hungry puppy) and great speakers (because we DON'T follow the US like a hungry puppy):ciappa:

AND BC BUD

markw
04-16-2007, 07:45 PM
The only reason The US uses 120v/60hz is because Canada supplies most of your electrical power:incazzato:

Anywho, where in BC are you thinking of relocating to. I live in the interior of BC and IMO is the best place on this earth to live...little crime (because we DON'T follow the US like a hungry puppy), clean air (because we DON'T follow the US like a hungry puppy), friendly people (because we DON'T follow the US like a hungry puppy) and great speakers (because we DON'T follow the US like a hungry puppy):ciappa:

AND BC BUDThen why are y'all massed at our borders? :ciappa:

Easy, buddy. I wusz just havin fun.

Luvin Da Blues
04-16-2007, 08:00 PM
So typical...what it's not our border too??????

markw
04-16-2007, 08:05 PM
So typical...what it's not our border too??????Please note I said "our borders". The trailing "s" indicates plural.

Why do I get the feeling your're pissed? Dude, it was a joke! You don't see that?

If I offended you, I appologize, OK?

Luvin Da Blues
04-17-2007, 03:19 AM
My apologize to (and to every one who reads this)..was having a bad hair day at work yesterday

jrhymeammo
04-17-2007, 03:44 AM
Hi folks, I'm currently in the UK and hope to emigrate to BC Canada near the end of the summer. Among the mountain of changes coming up, I'll have to upgrade my hifi and AV systems. Deep joy. I know there are a lot of differences to take into account across the pond, so I hope you'll bear with me as I try and negotiate myself through the minefield.
Kind Regards, Terry D.

Welcome to AR, Terry.

I wish you all the luck on your move. Will you be double boxing your TT w/ layers between boxes?

kexodusc
04-17-2007, 04:47 AM
Easy, buddy. I wusz just havin fun.

Oooh, good...neighbor/neighbour fight! One of the nice things about dual-citizenship - I can play both sides of the fence...

I'll pick on markw first...

Then why are y'all massed at our borders? :ciappa:

Dunno...Why y'all travel with Canadian flags on your bags when you travel Europe? :D
ahem...better be nice to them canucks mark, or they'll get angry burn the White House down (again).

kexodusc
04-17-2007, 04:55 AM

Pfff...you just better hope the Shrub doesn't wisen up and just take all the elecricity he wnats wants from your terrorist hidin', marijuana growin', communist hides, or turn Mexico into the world's biggest "nu-ku-lar" reactor. He's already got your Prime Minister dancing on his strings...and we stole hockey from yer asses...nyaah!

Anywho, where in BC are you thinking of relocating to. I live in the interior of BC and IMO is the best place on this earth to live...
Why would anyone want to settle for Washington Lite when they can have Washington? :confused5:

(just kiddin' guys)

kexodusc
04-17-2007, 04:56 AM
Oh yeah, welcome to AR.com Terry D...we're really nice....

GMichael
04-17-2007, 05:10 AM
Welcome to AR. I hope you like a good zoo.

Resident Loser
04-17-2007, 05:33 AM
Oh yeah, welcome to AR.com Terry D...we're really nice....

...some of us are pr!cks...

But we do have to be nice to the upper provinces...they may be the only place to get decent maple syrup from in a few years...Maine's crop is at an all-time low due to the mild winters that global warming seems to be causing...

And LDaB, how's that Quebec thing workin' out? Mon Dieu!!!

jimHJJ(...oh yeah, Hi TD...)

Luvin Da Blues
04-17-2007, 05:47 AM
Psst..RL Wanna buy a province cheap? Of course you would have to assume their portion of the national debt. LOL

But you would have all the REAL maple syrup ya want.

By the By MW and I have apologized and have moved on.

kexodusc
04-17-2007, 06:10 AM
Psst..RL Wanna buy a province cheap? Of course you would have to assume their portion of the national debt. LOL

But you would have all the REAL maple syrup ya want.

By the By MW and I have apologized and have moved on.
We's just funnin' wit ya...

Luvin Da Blues
04-17-2007, 06:35 AM
We's just funnin' wit ya...

I know..just trying to lighten things up here:) :16:

Terry D
04-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Hi folks,
Sorry been too busy at work these last few days. I'm hoping to move to Chilliwack Bc, about 60 miles east of Vancouver. The change in voltage and frequency from UK to Canada means I have to change all my hi fi, TV and AV systems, although I want to keep my Rega P3 TT. I'm looking forwards to picking up some good advice and knowing the best places to buy kit from so keep up the good work. It really is appreciated.

Luvin Da Blues
04-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Hi folks,
Sorry been too busy at work these last few days. I'm hoping to move to Chilliwack Bc, about 60 miles east of Vancouver. The change in voltage and frequency from UK to Canada means I have to change all my hi fi, TV and AV systems, although I want to keep my Rega P3 TT. I'm looking forwards to picking up some good advice and knowing the best places to buy kit from so keep up the good work. It really is appreciated.

I recently moved from Chilliwack and have lived in Vancouver off and on so when you get closer to the "Big Move" you should repost and I'll help out where I can. I currently live in the Okanagan Valley which is about 3 1/2 hours away.

I have been buying some equipment from a dealer on Vancouver Island lately 'cause he's offering the best prices even when you factor in the shipping.

FYI heres a couple of links to this beautiful area

http://www.tourismchilliwack.com/

http://www.gov.chilliwack.bc.ca/main/page.cfm?id=0

Luvin Da Blues
04-27-2007, 07:04 PM
And LDaB, how's that Quebec thing workin' out? Mon Dieu!!!

Did you here about the guy who had a map of Canada tattooed to his @ss

Every time he sat down...Quebec separated......:D

Terry D
05-06-2007, 02:18 AM
Many thanks Luvin Da Blues, Funnily enough Kelowna was my second choice (and still is) but I think Chilliwack offers more of my other passion - fishing.
I also need to sort out my DVD problem so I've put a query on that section.