Speaker pop from surge? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker pop from surge?

movinginstereo
04-16-2007, 09:15 AM
I have a knew stereo set up in a knew finished addition. I have wired Bose speakers into an Onkyo reciever. Everything is good except, I have a small fridge in the room and a light in the closet. Whenever the motor in the fridge kicks on or the light in the closet gets turned on the speakers will pop. I do have the reciever plugged onto a APC surge protector, but that does not seem to helping.

Does anyone know of a better surge protector or anything else that could fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.

basite
04-16-2007, 09:36 AM
well, you have a surge protector, but that doesn't mean that it will actually 'clean' the electricity network, a net cleaner might help...
there are several brands making these. I thinkt that it would be useless to buy an Isotek or so because they're quite expensive (about $300), a monster would do though...

Good luck,
Bert.

Dusty Chalk
04-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Well, first try to isolate the problem -- set your Onkyo to a source with no input, then turn on the light in the closet -- does it still pop? If no, then it's your source; if yes, then it's your Onkyo receiver.

You may want to put the surge protecter on a battery backup, but I can't guarantee that will help.

Luvin Da Blues
04-16-2007, 06:04 PM
A few questions...

1) Did you do the wiring for your new addition or did you have a professional electrician
wire it? Sounds like you may have a bad neutral connection somewhere in the circuit.

2) Are all the connections tight and are all the plugs and switches new?

3) Is everything plugged into one circuit?

emorphien
04-16-2007, 07:26 PM
A surge protector can only smooth out some bumps. This sounds like a problem with the wiring, or like you need an additional circuit. If it were a new addition I'd have rather had the wiring done correctly than spend a lot of money on a surge protector hoping that'll help.

PeruvianSkies
04-17-2007, 08:45 AM
I have a knew stereo set up in a knew finished addition. I have wired Bose speakers into an Onkyo reciever. Everything is good except, I have a small fridge in the room and a light in the closet. Whenever the motor in the fridge kicks on or the light in the closet gets turned on the speakers will pop. I do have the reciever plugged onto a APC surge protector, but that does not seem to helping.

Does anyone know of a better surge protector or anything else that could fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Movinginstereo...great name. One of my favorite CARS songs. Anyway...

PS Audio makes these Noise Harvester devices that plug into your outlet and take interference in the line and turns it into an LED light with that surge. I've not used these, but heard they work like a charm.