Can I hook up an external amp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can I hook up an external amp?

Grandpaw
04-16-2007, 06:48 AM
I have Infinity Kappa 7.1 series II speakers for mains and use a Onkyo TX-DS777 reciever to power them. I have read for years that these speakers require about 200watts to really get the most out of them and my Onkyo puts out about 105watts RMS per channel. I only use these two main speakers when listening to music and I am very happy with the sound I get now. But in reading the reviews over the years most people that have these speakers say that giving them 200watts or more really make these speakers shine.

So now I would like to ask a few questions......

First can I add an external amp to the pre-outs of the main speakers only and not the other channels at the same time? The Onkyo manual says if you use pre-outs and run external amps you need to turn off speakers A. I guess my question is, do I have to use external amps on everything or not at all or can I just add a amp for the mains so when listening to music I hear the difference.

Second, if I can just add an amp for the mains what would be your recommendation? I don't want anything with tubes and I would consider used equipment. Thanks, Jeff

markw
04-16-2007, 07:12 AM
My Denon is a 6.1 unit but I'm using it in the 5.1 mode. I had to "turn off" that 6th speaker in one of the setup menus. I believe this essentially takes the unused power amp totally out of the circuit.

I think you're facing a similar situation.

Check the manual and menu for where this is done. Once you find this, turn the front mains off and you should be good to go. Ofcourse, make sure you have the external amp connected first.

Dunno about any specific power amps to recommend but shoot for at least twice the power of what you've got. I use a Rotel RB-991 for my maggies and it handles them fine. It's a few years old but shpuld be available for a good price. I was also looking for a NAD 218 at the time but the Rotel presented itself first at a good price.

New, I can't really offer any firs thand experience.

Grandpaw
04-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks Mark, I'll take a look at my manual and do some research on the amps, thanks again, Jeff

I did look at my book and I can turn off the surrounds, center, or sub but NOT the mains.

My Denon is a 6.1 unit but I'm using it in the 5.1 mode. I had to "turn off" that 6th speaker in one of the setup menus. I believe this essentially takes the unused power amp totally out of the circuit.

I think you're facing a similar situation.

Check the manual and menu for where this is done. Once you find this, turn the front mains off and you should be good to go. Ofcourse, make sure you have the external amp connected first.

Dunno about any specific power amps to recommend but shoot for at least twice the power of what you've got. I use a Rotel RB-991 for my maggies and it handles them fine. It's a few years old but shpuld be available for a good price. I was also looking for a NAD 218 at the time but the Rotel presented itself first at a good price.

New, I can't really offer any firs thand experience.

markw
04-18-2007, 02:23 PM
I did look at my book and I can turn off the surrounds, center, or sub but NOT the mains.I can't believe they don't allow this. They have the fargin' jacks right on the back but hey, what do I know.

Can you get hold of an Onkyp rep? Sumptin' tells me there's away.

musicman1999
04-18-2007, 03:16 PM
No need to turn off the mains,the pre-outs will still work.In fact i have never seen a reciever that would let you do this.Just run cables from the pre-outs to the amp of your choice,hook the speakers up to the amp and you should be good to go.Don't know anything about Infinity speakers,but 200 watts per channel is a lot of power.Bear in mind that although your Onkyo advertises 105 watts per side it probably tops put at a lower number.
After writing this I was curious and found the owners manual for your speakers and they do look like a fairly heavy load to drive,if you listen loud some extra power would help,also ease the load on your reciever.

bill

Grandpaw
04-18-2007, 04:40 PM
No need to turn off the mains,the pre-outs will still work.In fact i have never seen a reciever that would let you do this.Just run cables from the pre-outs to the amp of your choice,hook the speakers up to the amp and you should be good to go.Don't know anything about Infinity speakers,but 200 watts per channel is a lot of power.Bear in mind that although your Onkyo advertises 105 watts per side it probably tops put at a lower number.
After writing this I was curious and found the owners manual for your speakers and they do look like a fairly heavy load to drive,if you listen loud some extra power would help,also ease the load on your reciever.

bill

I don't listen to my music very loud but I have read many times that around 200watts really make these speakers shine. With the setup I have the volume will go way past anything I ever use. I don't know how many of you have heard these speakers but I am very impressed with them. I just don't know if giving them more power would make them even better yet, Jeff

bobsticks
04-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Hey Jeff,

To reiterate what bill (musicman) said, you can, indeed, just plug up cables to your preouts and it's off to the races. I have an Onkyo in my secondary set-up and used to run one in the big rig and have done just that, for extended periods with nothing but beautiful tunage being the result. Plug and play, my man, and have a great time!

Regards,
Mark

pixelthis
04-19-2007, 01:12 AM
I have Infinity Kappa 7.1 series II speakers for mains and use a Onkyo TX-DS777 reciever to power them. I have read for years that these speakers require about 200watts to really get the most out of them and my Onkyo puts out about 105watts RMS per channel. I only use these two main speakers when listening to music and I am very happy with the sound I get now. But in reading the reviews over the years most people that have these speakers say that giving them 200watts or more really make these speakers shine.

So now I would like to ask a few questions......

First can I add an external amp to the pre-outs of the main speakers only and not the other channels at the same time? The Onkyo manual says if you use pre-outs and run external amps you need to turn off speakers A. I guess my question is, do I have to use external amps on everything or not at all or can I just add a amp for the mains so when listening to music I hear the difference.

Second, if I can just add an amp for the mains what would be your recommendation? I don't want anything with tubes and I would consider used equipment. Thanks, Jeff
A lot of audiophiles, who cant afford both a audio system AND a
home theater do just that.
But get a three channel amp, that way it will be easier to integrate the center channel.
AND you can use the amps from the receiver for the surrounds.
Good luck(wild west audio has some decent amps,as does audioadvisor):5:

Resident Loser
04-19-2007, 04:43 AM
I can't believe they don't allow this. They have the fargin' jacks right on the back but hey, what do I know.

Can you get hold of an Onkyp rep? Sumptin' tells me there's away.

...one of those rare instances where a multi-ch A/V rec has jumpers from pre-out/pwr-in jacks (at least for the fronts)...You can even connect an EQ...fancy that!

Initially I was thinking along the same lines as you, but I took a look at the pdf. for the unit @Onkyos site. The manual is misleading in that it states you need to turn off the A speakers if you use an external amp...musta' been one of those DUH! moments on their part, take out the jumpers and voila! the A speakers are off...along with the two channels of amplification...Which again is cool cause you can then use the stereo pair for another purpose...

jimHJJ(...have I ever mentioned how I love connectivity?...)

Grandpaw
04-20-2007, 04:27 AM
...one of those rare instances where a multi-ch A/V rec has jumpers from pre-out/pwr-in jacks (at least for the fronts)...You can even connect an EQ...fancy that!

Initially I was thinking along the same lines as you, but I took a look at the pdf. for the unit @Onkyos site. The manual is misleading in that it states you need to turn off the A speakers if you use an external amp...musta' been one of those DUH! moments on their part, take out the jumpers and voila! the A speakers are off...along with the two channels of amplification...Which again is cool cause you can then use the stereo pair for another purpose...

jimHJJ(...have I ever mentioned how I love connectivity?...)

That part about turning off the A speakers is what I was in doubt about. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to clarify this for me because it didn't sound right but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks, Jeff

N. Abstentia
04-20-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm all for adding an amp to a recevier, it can make a big difference. As others have said, get a 3 channel and drive the fronts and center.

However don't get caught up in the 'amount of watts you need' game. Keep in mind that at normal levels you're using no more than 10 watts per channel and that's darn loud. If you want to blow your ears out you can do that with around 30 watts. But there's no substitute for good clean power and it's good to have extra in reserve.

This bad boy is right up your alley:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Acurus-A200X3-3-Channel-Amplifier-300W-x-3-4-ohms_W0QQitemZ190104380897QQihZ009QQcategoryZ14973 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rock&Roll Ninja
04-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Also remember that a multi-channel AMP with more than 150-200watts/channel is going to need its own 15amp household breaker to run at full power. So you will want to save some money to have a qualified electrician install one (its really not too complex a job and shouldn't cost you very much). I'm planning on having 3 seperate breakers for my HT equipment (1 power amp, 1 sub amp, 1 TV & sources) in addition to the normal room lights & vacuum outlets.

Grandpaw
04-25-2007, 05:27 AM
Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to help educate me on adding an amp to my system. Bingo came over and we listened to some music and decided that if in fact an additional amp would improve the sound it would only be slight if noticeable at all. We determined that spending a lot of money for something that at best would only give a slight improvement if any at all wasn't worth the money. Thanks to everyone for joining in on the post, Jeff