Sub for Magnepan MG 10 QR- Finally got em!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub for Magnepan MG 10 QR- Finally got em!!!

lewburgh
04-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Well I finally got my Maggies and was looking for a used pair of MG-12s but had no luck. However I came across a pair of MG-10 QRs not the 10.1s on ebay and had to have them for 385 plus 140 for shipping. I have the Onkyo TX-8522 (4ohm amp), Marantz CD5001 ready to go and now it's time to look for a sub for the Maggies. Looking at HSU 10", PSB 10" Subsonic 5, and Martin Logan Dyanamo. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Would prefer not to spend over $500.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Feanor
04-16-2007, 04:29 AM
Well I finally got my Maggies and was looking for a used pair of MG-12s but had no luck. However I came across a pair of MG-10 QRs not the 10.1s on ebay and had to have them for 385 plus 140 for shipping. I have the Onkyo TX-8522 (4ohm amp), Marantz CD5001 ready to go and now it's time to look for a sub for the Maggies. Looking at HSU 10", PSB 10" Subsonic 5, and Martin Logan Dyanamo. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Would prefer not to spend over $500.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

I have the PSB Subsonic 5; it integrates very well with the MG 1.6QR's. I run the 1.6's full range and the '5' with its built-in low-pass set to 50 Hz.

I can't say specifically about the 12's however.

lewburgh
04-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks Feanor. I think I am actually going to go with the PSB. I have become a fan of PSB after hearing some of there other speakers and hear nothing but good things about the musicalitiy of there subs. Running my Velodyne DSP 12 right now. It does alright, but want to keep the Velodyne for home theater use only, as it does a much better job for movies anyways.

I am currently running speaker cables from the Onkyo TX-8522 to the sub and from the sub out to the MG-10s. Sounds great but I did happen to notice the Maggies have a low pass speaker connect in the back. Would you recommend a different set up?

Thanks- Maggies sound incredible! Even give my brothers much pricier B&W 803s a run for there money when listening to good jazz, classical, or acoustic recordings. Can't even imagine the 1.6s!!!

blackraven
04-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Try and find a used Martin Logan dynamo, it matches very well with the Maggies. Its non ported and has a very fast (tight) bass and can keep up with the Maggies. I havent heard anything that matches them better for under $800. The Velodyne Minivee and SPL series also go well with them. They are also non ported. The only subs that I have heard that match the Maggies better are the REL subs.
I'll be upgrading to the ML at some point in time. I only use my sub for HT use. The Q1.6's dont need a sub in my acoustic environment.

Hope this helps some.