Power Amps [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Power Amps

quad121
04-15-2007, 10:49 AM
I wonder if a knowledgeable person can help?

I'm quite new on the Hi Fi scene and wondered if anyone can help?

I'm thinking of buying a Power Amp to replace my intergrated amp.

How do i connect the Power amp?

Does the CD, Tuner, etc connect to the Power Amp or do they connect to the PreAmp?

And then the PreAmp connects to the Power Amp?

Please could you advise.

Thankyou

Feanor
04-15-2007, 11:17 AM
I wonder if a knowledgeable person can help?

I'm quite new on the Hi Fi scene and wondered if anyone can help?

I'm thinking of buying a Power Amp to replace my intergrated amp.

How do i connect the Power amp?

Does the CD, Tuner, etc connect to the Power Amp or do they connect to the PreAmp?

And then the PreAmp connects to the Power Amp?

Please could you advise.

Thankyou

Hi, again, Quad121,

You will need a preamp. The preamp accepts input from the source components like CD player and tuner; it also provides the volume control and possibly tone controls, tape monitor and/or other connections, plus usually today, a remote control facility. Power amps typically have none of these things. They only input have connections for the preamp and, of course, speakers.

Mike Anderson
04-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Here's a really good discussion on what pre-amps do:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?ConnectToPowerAmp

It revolves around using a Squeezebox or Transporter with a power amp, but you can think of these as playing the same role as a CD player.

basite
04-16-2007, 06:26 AM
you can't replace an integrated by only a poweramp.

an integrated is basically a preamp and a poweramp in one box, the poweramp just gets a signal and amplifies it.
the preamp gets the signal from the source (a cd player, or a tt, or something else) and lets you choose your input device, and change the volume and stuff, active preamps (the most common kind) also preamplifies the signal to a certain level so the poweramp can do something with it.
by seperating the 2 you will have less RFI (electronic noise, created by electronical components) and you are able to make a bigger amp, because your preamp isn't in the same box.
if you want to buy a poweramp, you must also buy a preamp, or use the nad as a preamp (connecting the poweramp to the nad's pre-outs). later on you can buy a real preamp (a better one) to replace the nad.
however, If you don't actually need more power, you could also buy a better integrated now, which would also give you a bigger improvement.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Rock789
04-17-2007, 08:41 AM
if your integrated has preouts, you can run these to a power amp...

check out this integrated, http://www.simaudio.com/mooni3.htm
thats the moon I auditioned a month ago, very very nice!
(along with the equinox cd player :drool: )