Floorstanding Vs. Bookshelf [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Floorstanding Vs. Bookshelf

PaDave
04-15-2007, 09:14 AM
I was wondering who uses what these days, Floorstanding for rears or bookshelf? I have Bookshelfs but am looking for more sound out of the rears especially for music. Can anyone help this poor noob?

PeruvianSkies
04-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Well, for most people it's typically not ideal just for space reasons as most people tend to mount their rear channels just to keep them out of the way. However, if you have the space to do so there is nothing wrong, especially if you rear floorstanders match your fronts.

PaDave
04-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Nice, so then in short because i have the room i just need to go order the same rears> Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Jack in Wilmington
04-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Hi Dave,
What part of Pa. are you located in? I am sort of in the situation you are in but with a twist. I'm looking to replace my front floorstanders for a pair of boofshelves. I've moved my audio/video setup to our former home office. I was wondering what you were replacing speaker wise. Jack

Grandpaw
04-15-2007, 10:16 AM
I was wondering who uses what these days, Floorstanding for rears or bookshelf? I have Bookshelfs but am looking for more sound out of the rears especially for music. Can anyone help this poor noob?

I have Infinity Kappa 7.1 series II in the front with Infinity Kappa 6.1 series II in the rear. When listening to music I much prefer just the mains to be on without the sub, center, or rears playing. My speakers put out all the bass that is needed for music and then some.

I have a closet made into one wall of my den for my TV and equipment. When I am finished all my equipment will be flush with the wall and be built in. The only thing that you will see from the front will be stained oak or the equipment on the built in shelves. The two doors and the wires will not be seen from the front. By having two doors that open from the room behind my equipment I will have full access to all wires and connections, Jeff

2325fan
04-29-2007, 04:35 AM
rite now ive got six of them hooked up. ar's, yamaha ns-a220's cerwin-vega pd-9's. but later today ill be having a set of hpm-100's up and running!!:5:

emorphien
04-29-2007, 07:34 AM
Bookshelves for me, but I don't really have space (and with our couch a floorstander wouldn't be tall enough). My father has the same towers in all four corners though.

AudioMakesMe Poor
05-04-2007, 04:48 PM
if u have bookehelfs make sure u get a sub

nightflier
05-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Grandpaw,

Having the doors behind the electronics is golden. If I could do that in my cramped little house, I'd be a whole lot happier. Great setup!

PeruvianSkies
05-04-2007, 08:08 PM
I prefer floorstanders, but I must say that I am currently enjoying my second system as well, which has a pair of Polk Monitor 40's bi-amped and w/ a sub. It's definitely a good thing to bi-amp bookshelf speakers if you can to get a better range and the sub takes the crossover at the optimal point as well. I am noticing a greater sense of separation and overall better dynamics, floorstanders enable you to achieve this without going into the bi-amping and external sub, so it simplifies things, plus I still think that floorstanders achieve superior mid-range, which is my favorite part of the spectrum. Most people think it's about the highs with sweeping lows, but nothing beats a properly setup midrange.