Shopping for new TV Need up to date info [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for new TV Need up to date info

Grandpaw
04-15-2007, 08:58 AM
I am looking for a new TV in the 53in to 58in range. If money was no object the plasma TV would win. I have looked at the DLP tvs's and like them also but can't seem to find out up to date information on the bulb life in the new tv's.

It seems to me I could replace the bulb several times for the difference in price between the two types of tv's.

I am looking for a TV with 1080i and have a cable card slot. With the cable company I'm on to get HD channels with the card is $2.95 per month and without I need the digital box and DVR that runs about $30.00 a month extra just to get the HD picture.

Is there a site that I can get info about bulbs for the new models on? Any other info anyone has to offer would be great! Jeff

Bingo
04-21-2007, 06:23 AM
:idea: Grandpaw - I know I could email you or call you on the telephone or have lunch with you....but I thought since you haven't gotten any bites on your thread (you forgot to put a hook on it) I would try to add something a little different...Have you read about the laser TV? (I know you have)....also I read that 3-D TV is being rapidly developed! And you wont' have to wear those cardboard glasses to see it either....anyway I hope somebody comes along and gives you an answer to your specific question because I have trouble screwing in light bulbs....as you already know! Happy hunting! Bingo alias Nolan

Wireworm5
04-21-2007, 08:31 AM
I don't know about the new tv's. But I awhile back I read and I don't remember the actual number that the DLP bulbs last for 1000's of hours if you don't break one. So I calculated having 2 bulbs should be sufficient for my expected life span watching about 5 hours a day. I expect to live another 25 years. :)

Grandpaw
04-22-2007, 05:36 AM
I don't know about the new tv's. But I awhile back I read and I don't remember the actual number that the DLP bulbs last for 1000's of hours if you don't break one. So I calculated having 2 bulbs should be sufficient for my expected life span watching about 5 hours a day. I expect to live another 25 years. :)

The information I can find on the net is a couple of years old but they say around 1000 to 2000 hours per bulb. 5 hours times 365 = 1825 or about one year. This is why I am trying to find some updated info. Thanks for your reply, Jeff

Take a look at these

http://www.i4u.com/article5383.html laser TV's

http://www.hidefster.com/HDTV_blog/?cat=35 interesting article

Wireworm5
04-22-2007, 09:16 AM
After considerable searching I finally found an answer for expected life of the DLP HDTV.
On the Samsung website the DLP tv model HL-S5679W has an expected life of 20,000 hours. I assume other models would be somewhat similar.
LCD models like the LTM line are 60,000 hours and Digital Light Projectors bulbs are as you stated 1000-2000 hours.
I am surprise how difficult it was finding the answer and that they wouldn't address this question right off the bat. As I think that would be a question everyone would ask before buying a DLP tv.

Grandpaw
04-25-2007, 04:55 AM
After considerable searching I finally found an answer for expected life of the DLP HDTV.
On the Samsung website the DLP tv model HL-S5679W has an expected life of 20,000 hours. I assume other models would be somewhat similar.
LCD models like the LTM line are 60,000 hours and Digital Light Projectors bulbs are as you stated 1000-2000 hours.
I am surprise how difficult it was finding the answer and that they wouldn't address this question right off the bat. As I think that would be a question everyone would ask before buying a DLP tv.

Thanks for taking the time to help me in a search for a new TV. If the life of the bulbs were a plus instead of a negative there would be much more information available. It looks like waiting a little while might be a smart option. Each of the next several years will probably bring great improvements so waiting for the ultimate TV could be a very long wait but by waiting a little while could reap many improvements.

It is hard to wait when you get the bug to buy something new but the only thing that will happen is that there will be many improvements combined with lower prices. Thanks again for giving me help in my quest, Jeff

I did check out the LTM line but they were smaller sizes and I'm looking for something in the 53in to 57in range.