What Pre amp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What Pre amp?

quad121
04-15-2007, 05:58 AM
Hello to you all.

I wonder if you can advise on a good Pre amp?Phono Amp?

I have a Rega Planar 3 Deck but my Amp doesn't have a phono stage.

Could any one advise me on a descent Pre/Phono Amp?

Thanx

Feanor
04-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Hello to you all.

I wonder if you can advise on a good Pre amp?Phono Amp?

I have a Rega Planar 3 Deck but my Amp doesn't have a phono stage.

Could any one advise me on a descent Pre/Phono Amp?

Thanx

Preamps today typically don't directly accept phono input, (although there are exceptions). The term often used for these phono-less preamps is "line stage". What people tend to do today is get a "phono preamp" which accepts the moving magnet and usually also a moving coil input from their turntable & cartridge combination; the phono preamp then feeds their line stage, integrated amp, or receiver.

There are thousands of line stage and phono preamp options out there. What's your budget?

quad121
04-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Hi Feanor,

Thanks for your help.

I would say about£500 I just want be able to get the most out of the Rega!

I've tried a NAD C160 but seemed to make the sound too bass'y.

jrhymeammo
04-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi Q.

Please excuse me, but I'm not quite sure what your setup is.

So, your receiver doesnt have a phono stage? Or you just have a power amp, and you are looking to get a phono preamp with adjustable volume to drive your power amplifers directly?

I believe your NAD C160 is a preamp, so I'm going to assume that you are looking to get an external phono preamp. I dont see the point of getting another preamp w/ phono stage for around £500, unless you are unsatisfied with it's overall quality.

It would be helpful to know what cartridges you have.
But even if you only have high output Moving Magnet carts, I think you would want to get one that will allow you to play low output MC cartridges for future possiblitlities

Trichord Research has an entry level phono pre you may want to consider..

http://www.trichordresearch.com/dino.html

External power supply is always a plus to reduce noise floor, but I want able to get a manufacture's sepecification on that.

Pro-Ject Tube Box is a fun little gem. Not as noisy as others I've tried, and your vinyl will sound even more "warm". I didnt find it to be a neutral piece of gear, but I've always found myself listening to music far beyond my bedtime.
I've always though the TubeBox created punchy bass while emphasizing on vocals.

What are some phono pres you are already looking at?

Best Wishes,

JRA

quad121
04-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Hi, I've got a list of Phono Amps which i'm looking at. :-

NAD PP2
Naim Nac 282
Musical Fidelity X-LPS
Naim Nac 112X
Linn Linto
Trichord Research Diablo
Krell KSL

Which do you think out of these are any good?