Room For Improvement [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Room For Improvement

quad121
04-15-2007, 01:05 AM
Hi to you all. I'm a bit new at HiFi and wanted to ask some of you out there who have more knowledge than me?
I have the following setup:-
Red Rose Spirit Speakers( Bookshelf on Stands)
Nad C372 Intergrated Amp
Marantz CD6000 ose KI Sig Cd Player
Interconnects: Chord Cobra 3
Speaker Cable: Chord Odyssey.

What i would like to know where i could improve upon.

Like using a DAC or something?

Thank you

Bingo
04-15-2007, 03:09 AM
Hi - I respond to your thread for the following things we have in common:

1. You are new to the forum
2. You have speakers on stands
3. You use an Integrated Amplifier
4. Your amplifer is an NAD C372 (mine is an NAD C370)
5. We both want to improve our sound....

I think that makes us kindred spirits. I have little technical knowledge and I depend on those wonderful participants in these forums to educate me. I encourage you to stick with it and you will find some very good advice forthcoming.... My speakers are Orsas and they are monitors which are on stands that are filled with sand. My NAD integrated amp seems to provide me with good sound, and although I am pretty well satisfied...we all look for that extra touch. By the way I listen to only classical music and have no interest in anything but two channel stereo....I'm not a Home Theater nut...even if I am a nut. Good luck and welcome to the forums....I will be watching the responses you will be getting very soon. Bingo

quad121
04-15-2007, 03:32 AM
Hi Bingo.
Thanx for the response. The system i have is good well i think it's good. But i suppose most people will always think theres better.
Any way i hope someone out there has some knowledge which i lack on this subject.

Regards,

quad

Feanor
04-15-2007, 04:07 AM
Hi to you all. I'm a bit new at HiFi and wanted to ask some of you out there who have more knowledge than me?
I have the following setup:-
Red Rose Spirit Speakers( Bookshelf on Stands)
Nad C372 Intergrated Amp
Marantz CD6000 ose KI Sig Cd Player
Interconnects: Chord Cobra 3
Speaker Cable: Chord Odyssey.

What i would like to know where i could improve upon.

Like using a DAC or something?

Thank you

The Red Rose Spirit have the ribbon tweeters, so you've got one more thing in common with Bingo since his Orcas also have ribbon tweeters.

It seems to me the NAD is the weak link in your set up, (and I've repeated told Bingo the same thing). I previously owned a NAD C270, and can tell you that NAD is pleasant sounding but it falls well short of better amplifiers in terms of resolution notably, as well as other qualities such bass accuracy. Your ribbon tweeters deserve something better than NAD.

I'm not very familiar with the Marantz CDP, but I'd say that a DAC would give much less improvement than upgrading your amp from the NAD.

quad121
04-15-2007, 04:39 AM
Thank you Feanor,

I had an idea it could be the NAD but needed someone just to clarify taht.

Thanks

basite
04-15-2007, 04:41 AM
yep, think about upgrading the nad...

welcome to the forums btw :)
have fun here...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

quad121
04-15-2007, 05:02 AM
Hi All.

Could anyone advise on a possible Amp which i could replace the NAD?

I listen to a mixture of music but not classical.

Thanx

Feanor
04-15-2007, 05:30 AM
Hi All.

Could anyone advise on a possible Amp which i could replace the NAD?

I listen to a mixture of music but not classical.

Thanx

Unfortunately a significant upgrade from NAD will require financial "investment". Sub-US$1000 options from Rotel, Adom, Marantz, Denon, in general won't give much improvement, (though perhaps a slightly different sound).

In the moderate price range, switching, (a.k.a. class 'D', sometime incorrectly called "digital"), amps offer the best value: high power and very good, highly resolved sound. An example from a major manufacturer is the PS Audio Trio C-100 for $1600 new ...
http://www.psaudio.com/products/trio_c100.asp

Worth mentioning is the Onkyo A-9555 integrated which as had some greate user reviews; it happens to be a switching, ("digital"), amp and might be lowest priced option over NAD, etc. ...
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=A-9555&class=Amplifier&p=i

The choice opens up once you go above $2000 new, but buying used is an option most people should consider.

basite
04-15-2007, 05:57 AM
you could try parasound, or primare, maybe even musical fidelity (their entry series), you might find a used mcintosh out there too...

Good luck,
Bert.

Bingo
04-15-2007, 06:14 AM
If by any chance you want to invest $2000.00...there is one integrated amp that will allow you a 30 day trial in your home if you order direct from the manufacturer...the amp is a Bel Canto, I could conceivably be wrong, and you can get to their website by merely using Google - typing in Bel Canto - and hit 'I'M FEELING LUCKY' ...which should take you there...at that site they have instructions on how to use their trial or home audition purchase...this way if you don't like the amp you can send it back. I'm not sure if there is a re-stocking fee or if you pay shipping both ways etc...but the site will tell you that.If you decide to try this I'd be interested in how it comes out. Bingo

Here is the web site for Bel Canto...
http://www.belcantodesign.com/sup_how.html

quad121
04-15-2007, 06:18 AM
Thanx for all the info.
I was thinking of buying a good used Amp. Then you'll be able to get a better one hopefully.

quad121
04-15-2007, 07:00 AM
I've just had a quick flick through the web and came across three amps;
Krell KAV-500, Naim Nait 5i and Bryston B100 SST.
I would try and get one of these second hand though, Which would save some penny's.

Dusty Chalk
04-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Well, for my tastes, the first thing I'd need to do is get a subwoofer. It sounds to me like you don't care so much about bass, yes?

What is it you look for in a system? What kind of music do you listen to? Or you an accuracy guy or a musicality guy? Tell us more about yourself, music-listening-ly speaking.

quad121
04-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Hi Peter, I listen to quite a wide range of music. from Thunder, Bon Jovi to The Hollies, Queen, and also Pop. NO Dance rubbish or the likes. I do like some bass but not too much to spoil the rest of the instruments. I like to here the instruments as lifelike as they should be.
Also what make of subwoofer would you recommend

Dusty Chalk
04-16-2007, 12:11 PM
I really liked my Sunfire, but if I had it to do over again today, I'd probably get a SVS (and probably will get a SB12-Plus for the office system). Integration is key.

R.S.
04-16-2007, 08:56 PM
I picked up a used Bel Canto amp and am very happy with it. It's very revealing and detailed. It will not "gloss over" the sound. If you have an excellent sounding CD, it will sound wonderful. On the other hand, if you have a lousy sounding CD, it will bring out the faults of the CD.

Rock789
04-17-2007, 08:37 AM
a sub will definately help if you are lacking in the lows...
if you need better quality sound, check out anthem, or moon
both are very nice
I have anthem gear, and it is a step up from NAD imo, and I auditioned some moon gear recently and was very impressed

Rock&Roll Ninja
04-17-2007, 05:47 PM
What have you done for room acoustic treatment?