Gear for music with heavy sound - recommendations? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Gear for music with heavy sound - recommendations?

codebutcher
02-18-2004, 07:33 AM
I have a reputation for idiotic topics, and this may be just another one, but I'm taking the chance. Ho here it goes. It's just a simple question:
What kind of audio gear would you recommend to someone who preferes expecially (moderately heavy) metal music, and ocasionally classic/modern progressive rock/metal, or light-music like Peter Gabriel or David Bowie.
I really don't have the chance to test equipment that is above crummy. In the country where I live (and I won't tell you which is that), you're treated in the "either you buy it or not" style. This means that I didn't have the chance to hear this kind of music on really acceptable equipment.
I know that I may be in for some sarcastic replies, but... what the heck.

woodman
02-18-2004, 02:05 PM
What kind of audio gear would you recommend to someone who preferes expecially (moderately heavy) metal music?

Earplugs! I know this answer is nothing more than sarcasm, but I'm a musician and I take offense at "heavy-metal" which I don't consider to be music at all ... but merely NOISE pretending to be music.

htfan14
02-18-2004, 03:24 PM
Lol at woodman. I grew up listening to Metal and still like some of it even at my older age. But I know where you're coming from, there's nothing better then good quality over big noise.
As for what equipment, might as well have Cerwyn Vegas and a Technic's Reciever, that'll play loud and raunchy!!
p.s. I know, I had it...

JSE
02-18-2004, 04:08 PM
"but I'm a musician and I take offense at "heavy-metal" which I don't consider to be music at all ... but merely NOISE pretending to be music."

Huh? Why would offend you and what does that have to do with being a musician?

JSE

vivisimonvi
02-18-2004, 05:51 PM
I know just about everyone here hates Cerwin Vega, but I have to admit CV's aren't bad when it comes to the heavy stuff, and you won't have to worry about your speakers being in any kind of danger... Can't get any better bargains than Ebay, they're probably not worth buying brand new.

I have a 5 channel CV set for that kind of music (that I listen to not that often) and watching movies. These things can be pretty scary with some DD/DTS movies... at least I know they can handle the dynamics of DVD sound at any volume.

Maybe in my older years I can buy something more of "audiophile" taste. I've taken huge steps in my listening habits over the these, these are just one of those times you happen to live Cerwin Vega.

codebutcher
02-18-2004, 11:38 PM
Earplugs! I know this answer is nothing more than sarcasm, but I'm a musician and I take offense at "heavy-metal" which I don't consider to be music at all ... but merely NOISE pretending to be music.

Well Woodman, by the age of 24 I got to hear that for about 1565876542348626434 times, so if you think there's any sense in posting a reply like yours... Imagine yourself in my place: you'd think "Why is this guy telling me that? Doesn't he have something better to do than spend 60 seconds telling some guy that metal is nothing but noise?"
When it comes to this kind of attitude, I'm really wondering who needs to grow up: your or me?
I've never listened to classical music, and the chances that I will ever do that are about 0.00000001%, but I can respect it. I'd never go out and say: "What is that lady screaming? Can't she sing like a normal human being?"
Just for the record, one of my favorite albums is Genesis' "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway". I'm curious if someone could explain me how can I like that and metal music simultaneously? I suppose I don't really like it, I'm just pretending to because it's pretentious intellectual stuff.
Once I assisted to a quarrel between a guy in his twenties who listened to metal, and some older guy who was into classical stuff. And I gotta tell you this: it sounded like the discution between two 5 year boys about the superiority of Terminator over Robocop.
People like you will need to get over themselves and just do their thing leaving everybody else alone.

kingcrim05
02-29-2004, 03:37 PM
I think it's funny how people, hmmm, what's the word....stereotype things?

Some of my favorite music is sometimes "louder". Dream Theater for instance. There's more musicianship in that band than a lot of other bands, and they know how to rock.

This is coming from a person who lists Led Zeppelin as their favorite band. Were they loud? Well, they were/are considered the "first" metal band, right? Of course i also enjoy Pink Floyd, especially the album Meddle. Are we saying Pink Floyd wasn't good music too then? They know how to exercise our speaker equipment as well as any band out there....

Somtimes additonal volume is needed to create energy. Although some people are old, not everyone has old ears.

02-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Music is typically an expression.
Blues arent called blues cuz everyone is happy in LALA land.
However, saying that...isnt all metal just....ANGRY!!!?

DMK
02-29-2004, 04:34 PM
But I CAN tell you that even heavy metal sounds better (at least to me) on a system that is as neutral as possible. If you believe nothing else I say, at least believe that you should dispel the absolute garbage statement that some around here make that heavy metal doesn't require a good system. If you've listened to a heavy metal band (even your neighbors kids' garage band) when they were practicing at reasonable volume, you'll know what such a band should sound like. Your system should portray that. The problem is that people think it should sound like it does live in a coliseum. If true, that would mean you should just buy yourself a PA system and overload it as much as possible! Studio discs are recorded in - surprise! - a studio! If anyone thinks they record at tinnitus-producing volumes in a studio... well... those folks are totally wrong.

Acoustic music isn't all that needs to be reproduced faithfully. We are talking about a faithful representation of the recording, correct?

Get the best speakers you can afford. You could even buy good bookshelf speakers and add a subwoofer. Check out SVS subs or some of the stuff from Audio Advisor. I heard a great system that was good at reproducing heavy metal and it was Sound Dynamics RTS-3's with an SVS sub. The speakers cost me $100 used and the sub was about $500. Add a nice Cambridge Audio integrated ( for example) and enjoy! Now if you'll excuse me, my multi-thousand dollar system (not bragging - just making a point) is somehow making me believe that Kirk Hammett is playing in my room! Let's see if they can do the same with Sabbath who is up next. What can I say - it's heavy metal night at my house!

hifitommy
02-29-2004, 06:06 PM
heavy metal isnt my bag but i have heard some that was pretty well done, even metallica has made some memorable songs. also, lets not confuse heavy metal with the screaming angst filled mother hating music (?) that i have heard at places like the coconut teaser. some of these guys are playing as loud as they can to see if they can play louder than anything else.

i couldnt stay there for numerous reasons but those that did seemed to be enjoying themselves even if their hearing was in danger.

i like music that a lot of my jazz loving peers couldnt stay in the room with too, and they like some stuff that makes me nauseous as well. fact is, our tastes take us to many places. i also enjoy classical, pop, and electronic music. and stuff.

you could get some CVs and crank but youll miss a lot of what is there. the detail and clarity (its nice to know whats being propelled out of the vocalists vocal cords) resulting from speakers with better definition will reward you just as it will me.

big bang for the buck can be gotten from definitive technology. even their smaller speakers kick. its the built in powered subs that does it. amplifiers that wont let you down are made by adcom. the 5400 has 125 VERY powerful wpc and combined with the powered sub thing, loudness aint no problem!! their front end electronics arent bad either, even if not state of the art.

adcom is also durable. in the TEN YEARS i left my 555II on all the time, only an input diode failed. in some countries, thats money in the bank..

codebutcher
02-29-2004, 11:53 PM
Well, I'm glad that people aren't narrow minded here. Let me take an example. Queensryche is usually listed as a metal band. Could someone say though that "Empire" is nothing but "noise with the pretention of music"? If so, I recommend to that person to get his/her ears checked, because noise may be what he/she hears when listening to whatever music.
Geoff Tate does really amazing things there, even for a non-metal vocalist.
As with many other issues, the problem lies in generalization. The chances that one is wrong generalizing, no matter what the issue is, are about 100%.
As for equipment, I guess I'll go for a serious DIY set of speakers for now, and buy a decent sub when I'll afford one (your recommendations will be taken into account then).
Thanks people.