End of Audioslave [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : End of Audioslave

Rich-n-Texas
04-14-2007, 12:28 PM
I was really disappointed to read this. I think it happened last month, and the Rage band members are back together with Zach, but I think Audiosloave had a great sound. Chris Cornell is a brilliant lyricist and I really thought they meshed well, but I have a feeling he was a little to hard to get along with. Too bad.

kexodusc
04-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Meh, I liked a few of their tunes, but I think these guys sorta rode their star power more than earned the popularity. I'd rather listen to another Rage album that sounds like the others.

N. Abstentia
04-15-2007, 07:06 AM
I loved Audioslave's first CD, but after discovering Seemless I kinda forgot Audioslave existed :)

http://www.seemlessband.com/

Rich-n-Texas
04-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Meh, I liked a few of their tunes, but I think these guys sorta rode their star power more than earned the popularity. I'd rather listen to another Rage album that sounds like the others.

To me, it's the end result that's most important. Chris Cornell not only knows how to right great lyrics, lyrics that tell a story that actually makes sense, but he also knows how to sing, as opposed to barking. Rare these days for rock music. Tom Morello is a top notch guitarist and their beat to me defines my idea of died-in-the-wool rock-n-roll.

The other "hybrid" band, Velvet Revolver IMO didn't enjoy anywhere near the popularity and success of Audioslave and I still question Scot Weiland's commitment to anything other than smack. Don't get me wrong, Slash plays a mean guitar but he just doesn't seem to have the refinement (for lack of a better term) that Morello has. I read some years ago that a reviewer said STP could become the next Led Zeppelin, but I think Scott ruined that possibility.

bobsticks
04-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Looking ahead, I hope that this leads to more tunes like "Bombtrack" and "Bulls on Parade" rather than more blather in the press about the plight of the Nepalese and Zapatista revolution.

3-LockBox
04-15-2007, 11:49 AM
I read some years ago that a reviewer said STP could become the next Led Zeppelin, but I think Scott ruined that possibility.

Yeah, and before them it was G'N'R, both Weiland and Axil Rose blew a chance at iconic careers as front men for great bands, instead of being members of the can't-handle-fame club. I guess they deserve some credit for not killing themselves.

Rich-n-Texas
04-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah, and before them it was G'N'R, both Weiland and Axil Rose blew a chance at iconic careers as front men for great bands, instead of being members of the can't-handle-fame club. I guess they deserve some credit for not killing themselves.

Agree 100%

kexodusc
04-15-2007, 03:08 PM
I guess they deserve some credit for not killing themselves.

Yet....

Someone compared STP to Led Zeppelin? Wow, I never thought they were that good. Maybe they had potential though. To me STP seemed to always be behind Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice In Chains when those guys were active...but I was a big STP fan back in the day. Until the last album...yuck. I always felt STP was more about being able to take full advantage of the killer singles to hide some filler on their albums (except Purple, that was solid). In that regard I'd compare them more to Poison than Zeppelin, though maybe not as cheesy. But I suppose STP did stick around after the others broke up/died/went into hiding fighting corporates and made a bit of noise themselves for a few years.

Oh well, at least one of these groups is still making excellent music.

Rich-n-Texas
04-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Yet....

Someone compared STP to Led Zeppelin? Wow, I never thought they were that good. Maybe they had potential though. To me STP seemed to always be behind Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice In Chains when those guys were active...but I was a big STP fan back in the day. Until the last album...yuck. I always felt STP was more about being able to take full advantage of the killer singles to hide some filler on their albums (except Purple, that was solid). In that regard I'd compare them more to Poison than Zeppelin, though maybe not as cheesy. But I suppose STP did stick around after the others broke up/died/went into hiding fighting corporates and made a bit of noise themselves for a few years.

Oh well, at least one of these groups is still making excellent music.

I suspect you're talking about Pearl Jam?

You realize all the bands you mentioned were labelled "grunge bands" by the critics/record industry right? I can't stand it when a band is labelled because of the clothes they wear. The Seatlle bands most closely reminded me of the kind of hard rock-n-roll I grew up with, and I was really disappointed when Weiland dropped into his heroin stupor. Now, I realize the heavy hitters of the day, including Zep certainly had their problems with drugs but they, just the same, cranked out great albums.

I just read the other day in Rolling Stone that Chris Cornell won't be getting back together with Soundgardens members. He said they ended on a "good note." More disappointment.

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2007, 05:52 AM
I was really disappointed to read this. I think it happened last month, and the Rage band members are back together with Zach, but I think Audiosloave had a great sound. Chris Cornell is a brilliant lyricist and I really thought they meshed well, but I have a feeling he was a little to hard to get along with. Too bad.

That should read.. 'meshed well' musically. To me Audioslave was like Soudgarden only with different musical influences.

Swish
04-16-2007, 06:08 AM
The other "hybrid" band, Velvet Revolver IMO didn't enjoy anywhere near the popularity and success of Audioslave and I still question Scot Weiland's commitment to anything other than smack. Don't get me wrong, Slash plays a mean guitar but he just doesn't seem to have the refinement (for lack of a better term) that Morello has. I read some years ago that a reviewer said STP could become the next Led Zeppelin, but I think Scott ruined that possibility.

...that pretty much stole all of the music that became their biggest hits? The band that ended up settling over two dozen lawsuits because of their thievery? After hearing the proof I'm about as disgusted with them as I have ever been. Some members on RR know plenty about this, but it hasn't been discussed here very much, which is too bad. A former DJ from Philly was recently on the Howard Stern show and they ended up doing a lengthy segment about all of the songs they literally stole, and it was a plain as the nose on your face, not merely taking the song structure and adding their own lyrics. The DJ would first have them play the original song, then the Led Zep tune, and it was uncanny how alike they sounded in almost every way, and I find it hard to believe they even thought they could get away with it.

Nearly everyone know they stole most of "Whole Lotta Love" from a Willie Dixon song named "You Need Love", a favorite of the band's as performed by the Small Faces that had also been released by Muddy Waters in 1962. This (and "Bring It On Home") would lead to a lawsuit settled out of court in the favor of Dixon in 1985 over the similarity of the lyrics. The song also included lyrical nods to Dixon's "Back Door Man" and "Shake for Me", the latter as recorded by Howlin' Wolf. You Need Love also "inspired" the song "Custard Pie" featured on Led Zeppelin's later album, Physical Graffiti.

I'm not busting your chops dude, but the mere mention of that band set me off. I really liked them back in the day, and they had some great stuff, but I am pretty much convinced they were more of a "cover" band that got away with highway robbery. I wish I could remember more of the songs/proof at the moment, but I'm sure some others will chime in with their thoughts.

Swish

Duds
04-16-2007, 06:12 AM
NICE!! another Seemless fan!!! Great band. I just saw them open up for Fu Manchu a few weeks ago. They sounded damn good live.

I loved Audioslave's first CD, but after discovering Seemless I kinda forgot Audioslave existed :)

http://www.seemlessband.com/

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2007, 09:40 AM
...that pretty much stole all of the music that became their biggest hits? The band that ended up settling over two dozen lawsuits because of their thievery? After hearing the proof I'm about as disgusted with them as I have ever been. Some members on RR know plenty about this, but it hasn't been discussed here very much, which is too bad. A former DJ from Philly was recently on the Howard Stern show and they ended up doing a lengthy segment about all of the songs they literally stole, and it was a plain as the nose on your face, not merely taking the song structure and adding their own lyrics. The DJ would first have them play the original song, then the Led Zep tune, and it was uncanny how alike they sounded in almost every way, and I find it hard to believe they even thought they could get away with it.

Nearly everyone know they stole most of "Whole Lotta Love" from a Willie Dixon song named "You Need Love", a favorite of the band's as performed by the Small Faces that had also been released by Muddy Waters in 1962. This (and "Bring It On Home") would lead to a lawsuit settled out of court in the favor of Dixon in 1985 over the similarity of the lyrics. The song also included lyrical nods to Dixon's "Back Door Man" and "Shake for Me", the latter as recorded by Howlin' Wolf. You Need Love also "inspired" the song "Custard Pie" featured on Led Zeppelin's later album, Physical Graffiti.

I'm not busting your chops dude, but the mere mention of that band set me off. I really liked them back in the day, and they had some great stuff, but I am pretty much convinced they were more of a "cover" band that got away with highway robbery. I wish I could remember more of the songs/proof at the moment, but I'm sure some others will chime in with their thoughts.

Swish

You're talking about Led Zeppelin right? There's a big difference between "stealing" someone's music and being influenced by their music. It's well known that Jimmy Page was influenced by the blues greats like Muddy Waters & Willie Dixon, just like bands that came along after Zep were influenced by Led Zeppelin. How many bands, then and now were influenced by Jimi Hendrix?

The Led Zeppelin rip-off band that sticks out in my brain was Whitesnake. There's a band that would define your term of stealing, in my opinion. What kills me about that scenario though is that Jimmy Page and David Coverdale did an album together. Not only that, hipocrite me has that CD in my collection! :shocked:

Swish, no doubt you and I are on opposite sides of the Led Zeppelin fence. I grew up with them, their music kept me from deep depression when my Mom died in '79, I have more Led Zeppelin on vinyl than I do Jethro Tull and Genesis combined, and they are the benchmark I use when listening to rock-n-roll. I'd also be so bold as to say there is a trace of the blues in just about every R&R musical style.

It's all good though. :thumbsup:

Swish
04-16-2007, 04:37 PM
You're talking about Led Zeppelin right? There's a big difference between "stealing" someone's music and being influenced by their music. It's well known that Jimmy Page was influenced by the blues greats like Muddy Waters & Willie Dixon, just like bands that came along after Zep were influenced by Led Zeppelin. How many bands, then and now were influenced by Jimi Hendrix?It's all good though. :thumbsup:

Influence is one thing, ripping off the actual song structure, note for note, or even lyrics in other cases, is something totally different. Did you ever hear a song by Spirit named Taurus? I challenge you to listen to it and tell me that LZ didn't copy it for Stairway to Heaven, which I'm pretty sure is their biggest "hit" of all time, deservedly or not. While I won't get into all the others, the DJ from Philly, Denny something or other, swears they stole about 95% of their songs, and he wasn't joking. I wish I could remember all the others they played during the segment, but I was driving far from home and was out of town for days, and by the time I returned home, I forgot most of it. I'm sure it's out there on the internet, but I don't have time to research it now.

There is a book out called "Sounds Like Teen Spirit" that exposes a litany of ripped off songs, and I may have to buy that one.

You can still like LZ all you want, but I for one, am quite disappointed.

Swish

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Denny Somack. DJ at either YSP or 102, I forget which. Ed Sciaky was a DJ at 102, and used to host the Best of Progressive Rock series. Michael Tierson, who was a DJ at MMR for God knows how many years, predates all of them. He was around during Rock's underground years.

And thank you for giving me permission to like Led Zeppelin all I want. Me and millions of others. I choose not to base all of my views and beliefs about a band with great historical significance on one DJ's opinions.

Rich: Wasn't this thread about Audioslave?
Rich: Yes it was. I think this topic got derailed when I said:

I read some years ago that a reviewer said STP could become the next Led Zeppelin, but I think Scott ruined that possibility.

Rich: Yeah, I think you're right. It's your own damn fault!

Rich(to each his own)-n-(Moby Dick!!!)Texas

N. Abstentia
04-17-2007, 04:19 AM
NICE!! another Seemless fan!!! Great band. I just saw them open up for Fu Manchu a few weeks ago. They sounded damn good live.

SHHHHH!! We don't want TOO many people knowing about Seemless :)

Duds
04-17-2007, 06:37 AM
LOL! seeing how many people were at the show when they were playing, not too many people do know about them...

SHHHHH!! We don't want TOO many people knowing about Seemless :)

Dusty Chalk
04-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Influence is one thing, ripping off the actual song structure, note for note, or even lyrics in other cases, is something totally different. 's'truth. Look 'em up on Wikipedia, or, can't remember the title, but there's a whole album of the songs that Led Zeppelin ripped off (maybe a box set?). Here's one (http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Roots-Led-Zeppelin/dp/B00004Y333/ref=pd_sim_m_2/104-0450471-5106324), I'm sure there are others, because there's at least one more. I think it had a mostly yellow cover.

That said, Led Zeppelin did take them and make them their own. If you compare, for example, Whole Lotta Love with the song it ripped off, it really is a new song, mostly. But songs like the Lemon Song are much too similar to be considered truly originals.

Rich-n-Texas
07-03-2007, 07:25 PM
I can lock it...

I can unlock it...

I can lock it...

I can unlock it...

I can lock it...

I can unlock it...

G, this is fun!