wilson audio duette [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : wilson audio duette

simguy
04-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Anybody heard these yet. I'm looking for monitors to replace some floostanders without giving up much in the way of dynamics. My Meadowlark Ospreys are too large for the room. If not the Wilsons, any other suggestions.

drseid
04-14-2007, 02:32 AM
Anybody heard these yet. I'm looking for monitors to replace some floostanders without giving up much in the way of dynamics. My Meadowlark Ospreys are too large for the room. If not the Wilsons, any other suggestions.

$11K is a lot for a pair of mini-monitor speakers and as such, the options are quite numerous...

Personally, I think Wilson speakers are way too pricey for what they offer (and as such I would not touch any of them), but if you think they are worth it to *you* that is all that matters and I wish you a lot of enjoyment from them if you go that way.

Other brands to consider (for a lot less money) are Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Monitors (@ 3K/pr with similar specs to the Wilsons), Merlin TSM MX speakers (for about 3K as well -- super accurate but won't have the kind of bass or dynamics the Tylers or Wilsons offer) or maybe even Green Mountain Audio Callistos would work nicely (a hair bass shy, but pair these with a good integrated tube amp like the Manley Stingray and you can have a complete system for about half the cost of a pair of Wilson Duettes with great dynamics).

In the used market, you may want to check out the Magico Mini. It will run you what the Wilson's cost new, but it sounds *fabulous* (and it should for its price).

Good luck,

---Dave