Psb,kef Or Paradigm [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Psb,kef Or Paradigm

cguido
04-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Looking to buy new speakers I'Ve narrowed it down to Psb t55s,Paradigm moniter7s or Kef IQ9s I would really apreciate some input.

Thank You

MikeyBC
04-14-2007, 06:18 AM
I'd vote for the PSB's but I'm a little biased....though many years ago I was a Paradigm freak.

I've heard more people rave about the T-55's than the monitor 7's

Luvin Da Blues
04-14-2007, 06:19 AM
Let me start by welcoming to this forum...

Selecting speakers are like selecting your next girlfriend. You have to pick the one that not only sounds good when you first here it but needs to sound just as lovely after listening for an extended period of time. You also have to make sure that it matches your "equipment" and style well also. You don't want to have someone else pick out you next girlfriend do you???

You really need to audition them yourself and select the one that you find is the best for you.

Having said that I am partial to the psb for their detail, smoothness and sound field.

Luvin Da Blues
04-14-2007, 06:23 AM
There's a definite reason why psb owners rave about their choice of speakers.

bubbagump
04-14-2007, 06:50 AM
I haven't listened to current Paradigm or PSB product but I have a pair of IQ9's. The IQ9's have proven to be extremely coherent and with a sweet midrange. They are a little bass shy however. You'll probably want a sub to flesh things out. They image like nothing else I've listened to. There are better speakers but at this price point I'd have to say that the law of diminishing returns kicks in strongly. Having said that, PSB product is consistently raved about. I'd definitely listen to to anything on your list before buying. The IQ9's can be purchased from Amazon. If you don't like them, Amazon has a generous return policy. If you're looking to save about a hundred bucks on the pair, here's a site: http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/KEFIQ9DA

jrhymeammo
04-14-2007, 07:16 AM
Which version of Paradigm are you looking to purchase?

I used to own Monitor 5 v3 and used to love it like the first OPP I ever tasted.... sorry LOL.
But, I recently played the exact pair (got'em back from my friend for a day) side by side with my Triangle Comete ES and thought it lacked in every category imaginable. Paradigm was rated to play much lower than my T'angle, but was not the case.

Try asking your dealers if you can take their floor model by giving them your CC number, and audition all three if possible. Just keep the pair you love the most. I wouldnt listen to 3 brand new speakers side by side, cuz you are not really hearing speakers until you give 100+++++ hours of break-in period.
Also, it is very important to listen speakers in your room and gears.

Good Luck

PeruvianSkies
04-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Looking to buy new speakers I'Ve narrowed it down to Psb t55s,Paradigm moniter7s or Kef IQ9s I would really apreciate some input.

Thank You

Your choices are all good and you probably won't be disappointed going with any of them. Have you had a chance to demo all 3 of them and were conditions similar for each of them? Much of your decision will be based upon your listening preference and for what application you are using them. Could you provide us with some more information...

Such as:

Are you using them for Home Theater or 2-Channel?
Are you using them with other speakers?
What are you using to power the speakers?
What is the size of your listening space?
What do you typical listen to?
Are you able to get all 3 at a similar price, are you getting them from a dealer?
Have you heard all 3 of them?
Have you been able to drive all 3 with the same amp to hear them?

These would be helpful for us to help you determine some things.