Monitor Audio Silver - Any opinion? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Audio Silver - Any opinion?

flafonta
02-18-2004, 07:21 AM
I have been shopping for new HT speakers (30% Music/70% HT).

I have ressearched online companies (Rocket/Axiom/Swan) and auditionned many speakers at local retailers.

I would like to spend ~1500 for the mains and a center channel.

My favorite speakers so far at local retailers are the Montior Audio Silver series (S6 or S8).

I tried to find some reviews on this forum and others, but I can't find much info.

Any opinion or info on the Monitor Audio speakers?

Thanks!

Francois

PS I will pair them with an SVS sub, Denon 3803/3805 or Yamaha 1400.

PPS I will try to have a "private" audition for the Rocket and Swan in my area.

bmw-k
02-18-2004, 01:04 PM
I recently compared the PSB Stratus Silver i's vs. the Monitor Audio Gold Reference series from a Home Stereo perspective (I am 75% music, 25% HT).

Personally, I thought the MA Gold's were a bit "midrangey" in sound, lacking a bit of bass depth and resolution compared to the PSB's.

In the end, I went PSB and spent $1100 for the Stratus Silvers, and $600 for a sub. I found that I could buy the C5i center channel for $300 as well. So comparing price points for Mains + Center, I am at $1400...within your limit for the same. I simply needed the sub a bit more than the center at this stage of the game...

What I can say is that the PSB's are extremely smooth sounding speakers with excellent bass response and depth. the only drawback is that they are almost "too" clean to listen to HT with. I was really hammering on sound volumes (Das Boot, director cut, depth charge scenes) and the speakers just weren't even trying. The was exceptionally clean, clear, and without any anomolies. Kinda strange in a way for every voice, every creak of the boat, to be rendered so absolutely...

I would highly recommend comparing the MA's to Wharfedale's lineup. They look great and are very reasonable in price. The EVO30's mains would go for around $800, the center channel at around $350 or so. Quite excellent sound especially in midrange & treble definition.

jazzguitar
02-19-2004, 12:35 PM
I have been shopping for new HT speakers (30% Music/70% HT).

I have ressearched online companies (Rocket/Axiom/Swan) and auditionned many speakers at local retailers.

I would like to spend ~1500 for the mains and a center channel.

My favorite speakers so far at local retailers are the Montior Audio Silver series (S6 or S8).

I tried to find some reviews on this forum and others, but I can't find much info.

Any opinion or info on the Monitor Audio speakers?

Thanks!

Francois

PS I will pair them with an SVS sub, Denon 3803/3805 or Yamaha 1400.

PPS I will try to have a "private" audition for the Rocket and Swan in my area.

I just heard the Swan 6.1 on a B&K AVR507 and was blown away. This speaker is top of my list for my new HT.

I talked to Audio Insider and they said that they took back only one pair of these last year on their 30 day guarantee. I'm thinking of trying some.

Debbi
02-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Looked at them at Sound Advise here in Fla.....see link attached...Ironic that I own Klipsch with same type metalic drivers which are accused of being harsh..the quality cabinets alone are worth some consideration
http://www.downtownaudio.com/monitoraudio.html

the hand of boredom
02-21-2004, 07:23 PM
For the money, they are very decent speakers. As mentioned above the cabinetry is first rate. The silvers are quite transparent, and the bass response is quick. I feel they have a refined sound about 'em. They should give you a very enjoyable experience paired with your SVS.

Have fun.

THOB