Best Place to Sell Apogee Speakers??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to Sell Apogee Speakers???

BigLiberty
04-13-2007, 02:42 PM
I have recently acquired some Apogee Mini Grand speakers with sub-woofers and mahogany framed tweeters. I would love to try and use these in my home, but my current living and financial situation doesn't really allow for it. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where I can find other speakers of this type to try and determine a fair price for me and the buyer. One of the amazing parts about these speakers is that they have only been used once and for less than 1/2 an hour. I bought them from the original owner and he had them in storage the whole time. They are not in their original boxes but they are in 98% new condition. (minor snag on corner of speaker frame fabric).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

GMichael
04-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Very nice speakers. But you have no history here. It may be hard for people to trust a newcomer who's first post is that he has very expensive speakers to sell.
EBAY may be a good place to see what others are selling theirs for. Also, you may want to send a private msg to Florian here on AR. He knows a lot about those speakers. You may even find them in the review section here.

Welcome to AR and good luck.

PeruvianSkies
04-13-2007, 03:25 PM
I have recently acquired some Apogee Mini Grand speakers with sub-woofers and mahogany framed tweeters. I would love to try and use these in my home, but my current living and financial situation doesn't really allow for it. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where I can find other speakers of this type to try and determine a fair price for me and the buyer. One of the amazing parts about these speakers is that they have only been used once and for less than 1/2 an hour. I bought them from the original owner and he had them in storage the whole time. They are not in their original boxes but they are in 98% new condition. (minor snag on corner of speaker frame fabric).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

How about from Flo's front yard.

E-Stat
04-14-2007, 10:43 AM
I have recently acquired some Apogee Mini Grand speakers with sub-woofers and mahogany framed tweeters. I would love to try and use these in my home, but my current living and financial situation doesn't really allow for it.
So why did you recently acquire them?

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where I can find other speakers of this type to try and determine a fair price for me and the buyer.
The Apogee Users Group would be a good place to start. They think about $3k. Perhaps you may do better depending upon the buyer. From what Flo has said, it appears he paid double market value for his Grands.

Mini Grand (http://www.apogeespeakers.com/minigrand.htm)

rw

BigLiberty
04-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah I guess I can see how someone might think my post wasn't legit, but this is the real deal. My buddy purchased them years ago and had always hoped to use them, but he recently had his first baby and needed some money. I wanted to use the speakers in my home system, but I just moved to a multi-unit townhouse complex and there is no place to put them and utilize them "effectively".

I appreciate your responses and I will be sure to send over a personal note to Florian to see if I can get some additional information. THANKS!

PeruvianSkies
04-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Dear E-Stat,

your lack in information about the Apogee GRAND speaker system and used market value is shocking. Just to be exact, i have sold a pair from France to America less then a week ago for 105000$ USD. Your idea on "market value" on a limited production speaker with a total of 20 pairs in the world just shows your lack information.

Be acurate or dont post assumptions, this is not a mass market speaker like a Soundlab U1.

Best regards

That seems uncalled for....

GMichael
04-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Edited

Best regards

You sold them?! But, what will you listen to? Are you OK? Is there a support group for people who have sold their dreams? I ask because I'm selling my new house. I think I need a hug.

Florian
04-17-2007, 01:34 PM
So are asumptions on various audio boards-. A big reason why i have asked to be removed from this forum, but no help so far.

Florian
04-17-2007, 01:36 PM
You sold them?! But, what will you listen to? Are you OK? Is there a support group for people who have sold their dreams? I ask because I'm selling my new house. I think I need a hug.

No, i didnt sell mine. This was the second pair in Europe for a client of mine. He is changing to fully triamped active Fullranges for that sweet midrange.

GMichael
04-17-2007, 01:37 PM
So are asumptions on various audio boards-. A big reason why i have asked to be removed from this forum, but no help so far.

You'd miss (some of) us.:idea:

GMichael
04-17-2007, 01:39 PM
No, i didnt sell mine. This was the second pair in Europe for a client of mine. He is changing to fully triamped active Fullranges for that sweet midrange.

What do you think a pair of Apogee Mini Grand's in good shape are worth?

E-Stat
04-17-2007, 01:42 PM
That seems uncalled for....
Perhaps Florian should protest to the source I linked for an answer - The Apogee User's Group. Maybe they are totally clueless about the product. That is not my assumption given the depth of the information found there.

rw

PeruvianSkies
04-17-2007, 01:45 PM

Well, you don't have to be removed from this site. Just leave. Nothing else to it. In time you will be forgotten. It seems that you go back and forth. First, you want to leave, then you come back, then you leave, then come back. It makes no sense. If this forum upsets you so much, then just walk away. It's really not a big deal. I'm not trying to be mean-spirted about it...but ...no one is holding a gun to your head making you stay around.

E-Stat
04-17-2007, 02:14 PM
I appreciate your responses and I will be sure to send over a personal note to Florian to see if I can get some additional information. THANKS!
As a follow up, there are several pair of Divas and Studio Grands for sale at Audiogon. You may want to monitor their progress to get a feel for pricing. BTW, the five I looked at concur with the values stated on the Apogee User's Group website.

rw

BigLiberty
04-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah I found that site to be helpful and I will continue to monitor it for any speakers that are similar to mine. Sorry I made you so mad Florian, but if you check my original post, you will notice that I have Mini-grands and not the hugly expensive GRANDS you referred to. I know a little about Apogee speakers from what I have learned online, but in a forum such as this, I would defer to the knowledge and experience that you and the other members have. Seems like the Apogee Board and website don't really have any current information and eBay doesn't seem to have anything worth looking into, other than some manuals.

Florian if you have clients looking for these kinds of speakers, wouldn't you be somewhat interested in seeing them and making an offer? Sounds like you could really make some money off of a knucklehead like me.

Florian
07-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Hello Liberty,

i am not in the audio bizz. I help some of my friends and close relatives to purchase rare and exotic audio products. Examples are a pair of Apogee Grands, which i also own one of the 17 pairs in existance. Other products where a Goldmund 38, Krell Reference 200 amps and the sort. I would not sell a MiniGrand below 7k to be honest. I sold my DIVAS for for around 12500$, Apogee Grands for 105K$. Most look on audiogon and see them run for low and cant understand why i get such high prices and asume i tell a lie. Truth is that all Apogees apart from the Studio Grand and Grand need restaurations. The foam "damping" which is below the ribbon woofer panel is rottet and a restauration involves the heavy transportation, building of crates, purchase of replacement ribbons and the installtion by an installer. All of this runs well over 5000$ for a "fix". The electronics and room thats needed to get the best out of them requires a lot of money too. Most think i am bragging or exagurating, but Apogees simply require real money. If you give them all they need they are truly one of the finest speakers ever made regardless of money and a reason why hundreds have chosen to drop this kind of cash in "rebuilding" theirs instead of purchasing other speakers.

My advice is that you keep them, or dont sell below 7K regardless of what others tell you. Those who know and understand what your selling will gladly pay it without hesitation.

Flo

Blue Meanie
07-02-2007, 03:00 PM

Do you think it would help if WE asked you to be removed?:idea:

Jeff

O'Shag
07-02-2007, 04:04 PM
I watched a mint pair of Grands go for 15k, this was about two years ago on ebay, and they were located in Las Vega NV. The Divas usually fetch 4k-5k depending on condition and finish. If I was going to spend 105k on a pair of speakers, I'd chose between the Acapella Triolon Excaliburs from Germany, or the new Magico Model 6. I've thought about buying the Divas in the past because it seems they offer the best of all worlds in the Apogee range, but the requirements to obtain the right sound for these speakers is entirely dependent on room setup; having to be out six feet from a solid continuous backwall to get optimal results. The grands are no doubt superior to the divas, and some believe the original 1ohm Scintilla to be 'the one', I wish I had a missus that loved the stuff like I do. She'd be horrified to see giant monoliths 6ft into the room. I don't know, maybe I should replace her and get the Divas. Tempting....

O'Shag
07-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Just saw a pair of Apogee Divas go for 3,200 on ebay. finished today. Lucky buyer!

Florian
07-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Dear Jeff,

please try and get rid of me. It would be nice to see someone in this forum with a solid opinion that doesnt switch around like their audio systems and the "best sound" of the particular day and deal.

Dear Shag,

we have never heard of one sell on ebay but there was on sold in sound by singer for 25k and on in holland for 28k. At those prices the Grand are a freebie and should another come up for that price, i will buy them instantanusly. *The Grand is much above any other Apogee ever build. I owned Scintillas, DIVAS and now Grands. The only system that could be configured to be close to the Grand would be a fully active *no passive crossover anywhere* Apogee Fullrange with a pair of Krell Master Reference Subwoofers. That would be "close" to the Grand. The Scintilla, Fullrange *stock* or the DIVA are really nowhere close. BUT, they dont have to be. They are some of the very best speakers ever made.

Just be cautious with used Apogees as they have problems due to foam rott above and below the bass ribbons.

cheers

O'Shag
07-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Hi Florian,

I admire your system. How do you like the TacT preamp? I've read some great reviews, and its definitely an interesting proposition for solving anomolies in the listening room. Is there any loss of transparency from your perspective? That would be my only reservation to adding another component in the chain if one is to keep the analogue preamp and use the TacT/Lyngdorf purely as a room correction device. There was a review recently in the absolute sound - I think by Robert E. Greene - and the unit reviewed was an all in one solution with digital amplification in the same chassis. He concluded that the amp section in and of itself is world class. Definitely a very very interesting solution to consider as Robert E. Greene strikes me as a reviewer with a lot of integrity and a very good ear.

KenJr
09-29-2008, 12:00 PM
In introduction:

Hi folks.

Currently I'm listening to a San Francisco Symphony Mahler 2 performance on multi-channel SACD. The music is coming from a Denon 5900 feeding Krell and YBA preamps, a Sunfire Grand multi-channel Power Amp, two Magnepan 3.6 front speakers and two Apogee Caliper Signature rear speakers. My room layout is aesthetically questionable but sonically clean. Each time I buy something new for my system I reduce my children's inheritance and shorten my comfortable retirement lifestyle (if I live for too many years longer I'll ultimately be living on soup and beans but that'll be alright because I'll have my wonderfully reproduced music).

I tend to be a grumpy old man but I'm very careful to keep my rudeness out of my forum postings. And on these forums (as opposed to how I sometimes am in personal interactions) I never criticize the taste, preferences, or wisdom of others. I wish from the bottom of my heart that everyone on these forums would take the same approach. Unfortunately my wishes don't always get fulfilled.

Currently I'm trying to get satisfying sound from Blu-ray and HD-DVD, concert, ballet, and opera discs. I won't be buying any digital processors so I rely on analog outputs from my Toshiba HD-A1 and my Pioneer BDP-51 HD players that internally process all the latest audio formats (they feed their video to a 50" panasonic plasma HDTV).

Anyhow, That's who I am and I'm very happy to be joining this forum.

Thanks for listening,
Ken Jr

GMichael
09-29-2008, 12:18 PM
In introduction:

Hi folks.

Currently I'm listening to a San Francisco Symphony Mahler 2 performance on multi-channel SACD. The music is coming from a Denon 5900 feeding Krell and YBA preamps, a Sunfire Grand multi-channel Power Amp, two Magnepan 3.6 front speakers and two Apogee Caliper Signature rear speakers. My room layout is aesthetically questionable but sonically clean. Each time I buy something new for my system I reduce my children's inheritance and shorten my comfortable retirement lifestyle (if I live for too many years longer I'll ultimately be living on soup and beans but that'll be alright because I'll have my wonderfully reproduced music).

I tend to be a grumpy old man but I'm very careful to keep my rudeness out of my forum postings. And on these forums (as opposed to how I sometimes am in personal interactions) I never criticize the taste, preferences, or wisdom of others. I wish from the bottom of my heart that everyone on these forums would take the same approach. Unfortunately my wishes don't always get fulfilled.

Currently I'm trying to get satisfying sound from Blu-ray and HD-DVD, concert, ballet, and opera discs. I won't be buying any digital processors so I rely on analog outputs from my Toshiba HD-A1 and my Pioneer BDP-51 HD players that internally process all the latest audio formats (they feed their video to a 50" panasonic plasma HDTV).

Anyhow, That's who I am and I'm very happy to be joining this forum.

Thanks for listening,
Ken Jr

Hey Kenjr,

Welcome to the forum. We're kind of a funny bunch, but a tight family (if not a dysfunctional one). We will enjoy adding your audio knowledge to our own.
My system didn't cost as much as yours, but I enjoy it just the same. Two planner hybrids up front with 5 Infinity Primus speakers, and one 1000 wrms 15" sub by Dayton Audio. All speakers driven with a 130wpc Yamaha receiver. It's not a pair of Apogees driven by Krell, but it puts a smile on my face every day.

Mike