Does anyone actually LIKE those mini-lp CD covers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually LIKE those mini-lp CD covers?

Davey
04-13-2007, 10:09 AM
The ones that shrink a big LP down to the size of a CD, with printing so small you usually can't read them anyway unless you still have superman vision. You know how they get all beat up, and most of the time the CD is stuck inside those mini-lp jackets so tightly that you have to grab it with pliers to get it out, and the jaws on the pliers always seem to leave marks on the CD.

Or some of those silly, artistic Origami covers that the inexpensive indies occasionally use? Sorry, but those are just dumb if you are older than a fifth grader.

Just pulled out that Red Red Meat CD I said I would grab for my time on the island after crawling from the Rave Wreckage (btw, anyone plan on bringing some Dave Edmunds? Guess Costello's Get Happy will work pretty well in that role :)), and it's one of those foldup jobs that SubPop uses a lot, and that Califone seemed to like as well back in those days. Comes with a cool booklet, but the package sucks just the same.

nobody
04-13-2007, 10:26 AM
I like them aesthetically and all, but I prefer everything just stick to the standard jewel box for uniform storage.

One exception would be box sets, where the packaging is gonna be all screwy anyway. I have the Doors Box with all the mini LP covers and they slide really easily out of the box it all comes in, making it about the easiest to handle box set I own.

Slosh
04-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Who cares?

Rip it (in lossless, of course), get a SoundBridge or Squeezebox, and think of the CD as a back up. Or just make a CD-R copy. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

NP:

Davey
04-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Who cares?
That's what I'm asking about, dickhead. Sheesh!

Hey, what's number 1 this year? That Armchair thing? Really loving the Blonde Redhead, but it's pretty, sweet and shiny. Gonna take something with more bones in its meat to really get my cage rattling this year.

nobody
04-13-2007, 11:34 AM
How much stuff can you get say per GIG in a lossless format? I'm keeping my vinyl, but I could see ripping my CDs to a hard drive to save on storage. It gets pretty bulky.

ForeverAutumn
04-13-2007, 01:37 PM
That's what I'm asking about, dickhead. Sheesh!

Hey, what's number 1 this year? That Armchair thing? Really loving the Blonde Redhead, but it's pretty, sweet and shiny. Gonna take something with more bones in its meat to really get my cage rattling this year.

Speaking of the Armchair thing, I'm gonna try to make it to the post office this weekend. Sorry for the delay.

And to answer the question, I hate those stupid faux album cover packages for all the same reasons that you mentioned.

Dusty Chalk
04-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Nope, not I. I'm with ya. They're feebly trying to recreate the album experience, but how much have they increased the cover by, a couple millimeters? I'll take my jewelboxes, thank you.

Slosh
04-13-2007, 04:37 PM
How much stuff can you get say per GIG in a lossless format? I'm keeping my vinyl, but I could see ripping my CDs to a hard drive to save on storage. It gets pretty bulky.Well let's see. I have 1200+ songs on my 30GB Toshiba Gigabeat S in wma lossless so that equals about 40 songs per gig, or about 4 albums. I only rip entire albums when new. Once I get to know it well I delete the filler. On the PC I do usually leave entire albums there just because I have so much storage plus can connect yet another SATA drive in the PC plus always add USB HDDs even if that's not enough. I currently have 360 gig worth of HDD space on my PC and between me (wma lossless) and my daughter (Apple lossless) we have around 6000 songs barely using up 100 gig for everything (music, o/s, and all software).

I burn my vinyl to CD-RW and then rip that to the HDD. Just did The Boys debut for my daughter last weekend.

Yeah Davey, Armchair Apocrypha is just superb. Get it already, wouldja? This is pretty good too but not exactly new . . . NP:

bobsticks
04-15-2007, 06:05 PM
... and that Califone seemed to like as well back in those days. Comes with a cool booklet, but the package sucks just the same.

Not twenty minutes ago I popped open Roomsound for its maiden voyage 'round these here parts. The ultra foofoo packaging makes me wanna go throw styrofoam in the woods.

I'll second the rec on the Bird disc.

Davey
04-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Not twenty minutes ago I popped open Roomsound for its maiden voyage 'round these here parts. The ultra foofoo packaging makes me wanna go throw styrofoam in the woods.
Forget your sweet decline - this is the longest goodbye

I love some of those fragmented lyrics that Tim Rutili comes up with and Roomsound, in retrospect, is probably my favorite album from 2001. "Bottles & Bones (shade & sympathy)" will probably follow me around for the rest of my life. I thought they recently reissued that first Califone CD in a jewel case? Oh well, love the CD and don't really mind the packaging all that much, to be honest. That one doesn't come with much in the way of a booklet, only a little lyric sheet in mine. Some cool live videos on the end, though.

Takes a few listens to get there. At first the songs kind of all meander together, but pretty soon it starts to fall into scenes. Almost like a landscape. I think Califone (and Rutili in particular) does have a vision similar to that of a good cinematographer, and when you add in the array of expertly played acoustic instruments, and the subtle electro-organic textures by Brian Deck that add space and ambience, and the junkyard percussion that goes almost unnoticed at times, it all adds up to music with a real heart and soul.

The two EPs that preceded this one might even be more incredible, when combined into one album. They make for quite a debut. If you can find a copy, they also released a very limited, live, hand-painted CD-R album in 2005 that covered much of their career from the early 90s until about 2003, called Everybody's Mother (Volume One). Used to be very limited and mostly just available at shows, but I think they just pressed some more. Great stuff.

Troy
04-16-2007, 12:03 PM
I agree, the type is too small, the discs fit to tight and they lack durability. Plus they don't fit on the shelf with all the jewel cases.

Who buys CDs anymore anyway?

bobsticks
04-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Forget your sweet decline - this is the longest goodbye

I love some of those fragmented lyrics that Tim Rutili comes up with and Roomsound, in retrospect, is probably my favorite album from 2001. "Bottles & Bones (shade & sympathy)" will probably follow me around for the rest of my life. I thought they recently reissued that first Califone CD in a jewel case? Oh well, love the CD and don't really mind the packaging all that much, to be honest. That one doesn't come with much in the way of a booklet, only a little lyric sheet in mine. Some cool live videos on the end, though.

Takes a few listens to get there. At first the songs kind of all meander together, but pretty soon it starts to fall into scenes. Almost like a landscape. I think Califone (and Rutili in particular) does have a vision similar to that of a good cinematographer, and when you add in the array of expertly played acoustic instruments, and the subtle electro-organic textures by Brian Deck that add space and ambience, and the junkyard percussion that goes almost unnoticed at times, it all adds up to music with a real heart and soul.

The two EPs that preceded this one might even be more incredible, when combined into one album. They make for quite a debut. If you can find a copy, they also released a very limited, live, hand-painted CD-R album in 2005 that covered much of their career from the early 90s until about 2003, called Everybody's Mother (Volume One). Used to be very limited and mostly just available at shows, but I think they just pressed some more. Great stuff.

Yeah...cool description and right on time too. My only slight disagreement is that I found this one to be quite accessible, at least in form and format, with the subtleties being the devil in the details (junkyard percussion).