Anyone have any info on these speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any info on these speakers?

tattoos
04-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi.. my first post to this information packed forum.

I am after some info on a set of speakers I have.
I have received some info from Japan but the only info they could find was on micro film in there database and was a spec sheet.
I am looking for any reviews or old ads or any sales info. ( if they were ever offered for sale. )
They are labeled Toshiba. ( I can here you all laughing! ) but they are nothing like the Toshiba we know today.. These were built in Japan in 1972.
here are some specs

Model SS-51
Enclosure system : 4 way complete closed type
Loudspeaker components : 15" free edge high compliance woofer. 10-5/8" x 3-3/4" horn type squawker.
2-1/2" horn type tweeter. 1-1/2" horn type super tweeter.
input allowable : rated input; 30 watts
Max input allowable; 60 watts
Voice coil impedance : 8 ohms
Frequency range : 20~40,000 Hz
Output sound pressure level : 100.5 dB/W/50cm (19.5")
Crossover frequency : 700 Hz, 5,000 Hz, 9,000 Hz
Dimensions : approx 22"(w) x 37"(h) x 17"(d)
net weight : 110 lbs

I have scans of the spec sheet and pictures of the speakers on my site ( www.jameswatt.org (http://www.jameswatt.org) )

I have been looking for information on them for years but have not been able to find anything else about them. I hope someone here can help!
Any information would be great.
TIA
James

basite
04-13-2007, 01:21 AM
Hi, welcome to the forums,
I can't help you with your speakers, however, you might find more help on www.audiokarma.org, which is a great audio forum with loads of info about Vintage stuff :)
definately check it out :)

Do they sound good?

Keep them spinning,
& good luck,
Bert.

tattoos
04-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Hi, welcome to the forums,
I can't help you with your speakers, however, you might find more help on www.audiokarma.org, which is a great audio forum with loads of info about Vintage stuff :)
definately check it out :)

Do they sound good?

Keep them spinning,
& good luck,
Bert.

Thanks for that link Bert I will check that site out!
And yes they do sound good.. More than good.. They absolutely Rock IMHO..
very nice effortless sound.
Ive had them for about 7 years and I still get chills when I listen to them, People always comment on how clear they sound and that they hear new sounds in old songs.
and not just audiophiles, Ive even had young kids say WOW did you hear that!!
They have very good bass, deep, tight but not overpowering the other drivers..
Again thanks for the link.
James

Feanor
04-13-2007, 07:06 AM
Hi.. my first post to this information packed forum.

I am after some info on a set of speakers I have.
I have received some info from Japan but the only info they could find was on micro film in there database and was a spec sheet.
I am looking for any reviews or old ads or any sales info. ( if they were ever offered for sale. )
They are labeled Toshiba. ( I can here you all laughing! ) but they are nothing like the Toshiba we know today.. These were built in Japan in 1972.
here are some specs

Model SS-51
Enclosure system : 4 way complete closed type
Loudspeaker components : 15" free edge high compliance woofer. 10-5/8" x 3-3/4" horn type squawker.
2-1/2" horn type tweeter. 1-1/2" horn type super tweeter.
input allowable : rated input; 30 watts
Max input allowable; 60 watts
Voice coil impedance : 8 ohms
Frequency range : 20~40,000 Hz
Output sound pressure level : 100.5 dB/W/50cm (19.5")
Crossover frequency : 700 Hz, 5,000 Hz, 9,000 Hz
Dimensions : approx 22"(w) x 37"(h) x 17"(d)
net weight : 110 lbs

I have scans of the spec sheet and pictures of the speakers on my site ( www.jameswatt.org (http://www.jameswatt.org) )

I have been looking for information on them for years but have not been able to find anything else about them. I hope someone here can help!
Any information would be great.
TIA
James

A four-way speaker with horn drivers??? I'd stay clear of them for sure. :nonod:

No doubt the description of the 10x3 inch horn as a "squawker" is apt. Likely they can play quite loud, though. :smilewinkgrin:

tattoos
04-13-2007, 01:56 PM
A four-way speaker with horn drivers??? I'd stay clear of them for sure. :nonod:

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Can I just ask why you would stay clear of them if they have horn drivers? Is it just a preference thing?
And yes they can go loud with not much effort.

MikeyBC
04-14-2007, 02:15 PM

No doubt the description of the 10x3 inch horn as a "squawker" is apt. Likely they can play quite loud, though. :smilewinkgrin:

Looking at the crossover schematic on his website it does look like a lot of thought and tuning went into these speakers...definaltly not your rat-shack crossover design....i'd really like to hear these things.

MikeyBC
04-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Can I just ask why you would stay clear of them if they have horn drivers? Is it just a preference thing?
And yes they can go loud with not much effort.

A lot of cheap horns do sound horrendous, like they're squawking noise at you but those large horns you have don't look half bad, very similar in size and shape in fact to the horn used in the Klipsch Lascala, and they are still well respected speakers today.

I bet they sound better than a lot of people give them credit for.

tattoos
04-14-2007, 07:35 PM
A lot of cheap horns do sound horrendous, like they're squawking noise at you but those large horns you have don't look half bad, very similar in size and shape in fact to the horn used in the Klipsch Lascala, and they are still well respected speakers today.

I bet they sound better than a lot of people give them credit for.

Thanks for the replies MikeyBC,
They do sound good and you are right about the crossover, In fact the hole speaker seems very well designed. The crossover itself is all point to point, no circuit boards,
I will do a google and have a look at the Klipsch Lascala.
I just clicked as to what Feanor meant by squawker been apt!
however these speakers do not sound at all squawkie.
If I did not know they were horns I would not have picked them for horns from just hearing them, They just sound like awesome speakers!
Thanks again

James

igneous
04-29-2007, 06:15 PM
those are cool...look sorta like my old heresy's
prolly sound just as good or better....cuz you know the japs are ahead of us at everything

tattoos
05-12-2007, 08:00 PM
those are cool...look sorta like my old heresy's
prolly sound just as good or better....cuz you know the japs are ahead of us at everything

I don't know about heresy's but I have found that the Akai 180a of the same era seems to have the same midrange driver
http://www.jameswatt.org/ss51/Akai/akai-180a-back.jpg

And also as you can see from this pic some Onkyo speakers look very much like mine
http://www.jameswatt.org/ss51/onkyo/onkyo-front.jpg

In fact there is one Onkyo model (link to e-154a) (http://www.audio-heritage.jp/ONKYO/speaker/e-154a.html) that has the same specs as mine and looks exactly the same as my cabinet but there are no pix of the drivers.

So I think a few Audio companies may have been using the same drivers or designers.
I still have no clue who made these drivers.