DLP Rainbow?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DLP Rainbow??

swwdts
04-12-2007, 01:27 PM
I am going to buy a 60" Samsung HD tv & I read a Crutchfield paper/page that speaks of some viewers may be sensitive to Rainbow Effects while viewing a DLP tv?What does that mean? I have Epilepsy & I do not want to spend over $ 2000.00 on a tv that can put someone into a seizure.I have owned a 50" RCA Rear Projection tv in the past & the DLPs are a new version of the CTR style rear projection tv I had owned right?Thank you for the replys everone!

GMichael
04-12-2007, 01:57 PM
I am going to buy a 60" Samsung HD tv & I read a Crutchfield paper/page that speaks of some viewers may be sensitive to Rainbow Effects while viewing a DLP tv?What does that mean? I have Epilepsy & I do not want to spend over $ 2000.00 on a tv that can put someone into a seizure.I have owned a 50" RCA Rear Projection tv in the past & the DLPs are a new version of the CTR style rear projection tv I had owned right?Thank you for the replys everone!

My friend has a 65 " Toshiba DLP. It doesn't bother my eyes at all. But to be safe, I'd suggest you stop at a BB, CC or Sears and take a look at a few DLP sets to see if it bothers yours. I think it's a very low percentage of people who have trouble but you may as well check first.

swwdts
04-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks!

spf
04-18-2007, 04:03 AM

Hey swwdts,

A very good question to ask especially when dealing with a huge purchase. DLP technology basically involves a huge number of micro-sized mirrors sandwiched into a semiconductor chip. Each little mirror represents a pixel of resolution and will reflect light either onto the screen or into the chip itself thereby, creating shades of grey. (So with a 720p resolution DLP TV you have about 920,000 of those mirrors on the chip, 1080p TVs would have over 2 million) A projection lamp usually (on a single DLP chipset TV) shines its light to the mirrors through a spinning color wheel (Typically 5 or 6 colors on the wheel but 7 and more are starting to show up now)

The amount of colors and the speed in which the wheel spins (typically measured as 2x, 3x, 4x, etc) plays a factor into the possibility of people seeing the "Rainbow Effect"(RE). Normally the human eye will compensate and simply show one colour but some sensitive eyes will notice 2 or even 3 colours (especially when panning across the screen) therby flashing a "rainbow-like" image for a split second. Typically I've found the effect to be most prevalent when seeing a bright image on a dark background or white text on a darker scene.

The downside to RE is that it can be distracting and even cause eye fatigue and headaches for some viewers. GM is right, the only way to see if you see the effect is to do some viewing yourself. (Preferably in a darker viewing environment) Good luck

Shane

pixelthis
04-21-2007, 12:08 AM
A DLP set has only one thing in common with your old rear projection set, the light shoots from the back.
A DLP (and its cousin, the lcd) are called "microprojectors"
Basically the DLP chips are expensive and only show shades of grey,
so they have a "color wheel, which spins at an incredible speed to provide the color, even at these speeds you cant keep up so you have a rainbow effect.
The lcd type microprojectors use cheaper LCD chips, so they can use three chips for the picture, so no color wheel.
But both lcd and dlp use the same basic light old type slide projectors used to use, AND they need replacing every two to three years, providing you only watch your set 4 hours a day.
These bulbs cost anywhere from 300 to five hundred bucks.
And if you think the dlps with the color wheel smear the color, wait a few years, when these spinning wheels get some age on em.
In short DLP is a rube goldberg device which can only be sold by not mentioning its drawbacks.
LCD rear projectors are okay, if they are three chip, but factor in the cost of at least two bulbs when you buy one.
In short, get yourself a nice plasma or LCD set, use the space you save for the rest of your stuff, they'll last longer (up to 20 years for an LCD) look better and you will be able to watch one with a light on , if you want:5:

edtyct
04-21-2007, 06:16 AM
Pixelthis seems to enjoy sticking his chin out a little bit and daring anyone to hit it. DLPs are not hanging on the precipice of rejection, as he seems to be implying. Texas Instruments, which manufactures the chips, and the companies that incorporate them, like Samsung, are doing very well, thank you, in a competitive market, and DLP has may champions among consumers and experts alike. The color wheel can be an overt problem for certain people. A very small minority see rainbows when they shift their head, and an even smaller minority have reported headaches. I've often wondered myself whether the extent to which DLP relies on persistence of vision (the brain's ability to assemble rapid, successive events) might have a long-term effect on viewers, but this, admittedly, is idle speculation. Another related question about DLP concerns wobulation's ("Pure Picture") ability to show full resolution from half the horizontal pixel count. Early testing was spotty in this respect, but other types of TV were fudging resolution as well. I personally like the idea of three chips for color, as opposed to a color wheel, though three-chip designs by no means carry any guarantee of accurate color. Grayscale tracking, black level, and gamma are areas in which LCDs have not traditionally (forgive the pun) shined; black is sometimes a shade of gray, with hints of unwanted color, and blue and/or red often infect what is supposed to the neutral substratum over which color decoding takes place. We're still at the point at which buyers can't just choose their TVs on the basis of technology alone (unless they have distinct physical or environmental requirements--like a bright room or no floor space) but will have to read reviews and compare firsthand whenever and however possible to determine what suits them best. LCD field of vision and fill factor are legitimate concerns for certain people, though proper seating distance will usually mitigate the screen-door effect. The new backlighting options for both DLP and LCD should help to promote more accurate primaries and secondaries, as well as cut down considerably on bulb replacement and bulb anomalies, but, again, no display automatically eliminates every potential pitfall simply by virtue of its technology and innovations. Flat panels are not obviously better than microdisplays in picture quality, and they cost more; LCDs and plasmas individually vary in fidelity and characteristics, and it is the rare one that doesn't need careful set-up/calibration for best image quality at home. When you do your own research, you would do well not to neglect the LCoS option, which has been discussed in various threads here and in the home theater board.

Mr Peabody
04-21-2007, 07:35 AM
I have had a 62" Toshiba DLP now for about two years. Myself, nor anyone else who has watched my TV has mentioned seeing such a thing. I thought the "rainbow effect" was a myth. You know how some one says something and it just gets spread around. When I bought mine DLP was the least expensive micro display with an excellent picture in that large sized screen. My bulb cost $200.00 to replace not including shipping and they are supposed to have special handling for disposal because they are mercury. The bulb is certainly a thorn in my side. Although in today's market I'm not sure if DLP would be my choice, it is still capable of delivering a great HD picture and still one of the least expensive when going 60", except for maybe the old style rear projector.

I'm not saying these effects don't exist because I haven't seen them but I have to wonder about some of them, if they aren't just marketing slander from competitors. For instance, "screen door effect", does this happen on a certain size LCD or was it created on some crappy monitor and a stereotype born? I also have a Sharp 26" HDTV LCD and I have seen no such effect. The same with Plasma and image burn in. I hope I'm not hijacking but I just wonder how much of this is a legitimate concern for anyone.

pixelthis
04-23-2007, 10:48 PM
I am posting using a 37in lcd display, where is this "screen door"
you keep talking about? Maybe on an old casio 2 1/2 incher, maybe.
Why dont you actually go out and look at a modern lcd sometimes?
AND black level is still better than plasma.
My main rant about DLPS is that they violate the primary engineering
maxim... K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid)
I mean, a MECHANICAL device to show video!!
What next, a soup can with a string for a telephone?
I can imagine the conversation at TI, well, we'll never make it cheap enough for three chip sets for everybody, and our marketing dept is good, but selling everybody on black and white hdtv...?
Color wheels are a gimmick to sell DLPS, until the economies of scale allow for three chip models, its kinda like the used car salesman who doesnt care if he only sells one car to a customer, with no repeat business, that one car will be enough.
The platter on my old laserdisc used to spin at 700 rpm, the motor died after four years. A generation raised on solid state wont be tooo happy
when they discover just how fragil and gimmicky these dlp sets are.
If they were the only option, then sure, it would be a great idea,
but there are several more reliable types of displays out there whose innards dont resemble one of those physics experiments involving
mirrors, lasers, and prisms.
Who needs it?:incazzato:

GMichael
04-24-2007, 05:14 AM
I am posting using a 37in lcd display, where is this "screen door"
you keep talking about? Maybe on an old casio 2 1/2 incher, maybe.
Why dont you actually go out and look at a modern lcd sometimes?
AND black level is still better than plasma.
I can imagine the conversation at TI, well, we'll never make it cheap enough for three chip sets for everybody, and our marketing dept is good, but selling everybody on black and white hdtv...?
Color wheels are a gimmick to sell DLPS, until the economies of scale allow for three chip models, its kinda like the used car salesman who doesnt care if he only sells one car to a customer, with no repeat business, that one car will be enough.
The platter on my old laserdisc used to spin at 700 rpm, the motor died after four years. A generation raised on solid state wont be tooo happy
when they discover just how fragil and gimmicky these dlp sets are.
If they were the only option, then sure, it would be a great idea,
but there are several more reliable types of displays out there whose innards dont resemble one of those physics experiments involving
mirrors, lasers, and prisms.
Who needs it?:incazzato:

You crack me up man.

edtyct
04-24-2007, 05:34 AM
Within the last two years, I've either owned or set up, in one way or another, two RP CRTs (Toshiba), a Sony direct-view CRT, four plasmas (Panasonic, Hitachi, Samsung, and Fujitsu), a Sharp flat panel, and a Sony LCoS. The screen-door effect derives from the location of the electronics on LCD chips. It causes gaps between the pixels. The phenomenon has become less evident on certain models, but it is still visible on others. I have always maintained that it is all but eliminated with proper seating distance. Motion blur has also marred LCD displays, although it has become better, too. Black levels on LCDs are rarely as good as those on plasmas. Watch a 4:3 feed of a black background that runs to the edges of the pillarbox on a 16:9 screen--say, deep space or scrolling movie titles. Do the black bars on the sides disappear, or come close to disappearing? Rarely. On a properly set-up plasma with good black levels, they will. LCD's relatively high black level is not a controversial subject. Check out the primary colors on many flat-panel LCDs. Because of the subtractive process, greens and reds are often inaccurate and incorrigible. Color wheels can be quite accurate in this respect.

I think that I've used the Rube Golberg analogy with DLPs myself, but it really is inappropriate. Goldberg's flights of fancy were based on mechanically sound principles but completely arbitrary logic from cause to effect. DLPs certainly adhere to the scientific principles of simplicity, elegance, and efficiency (within budget constraints). I'll be the first to question whether all of its serial illusions represent the state of the art in particular contexts, but I will never impugn its ingeniousness or its ability to show a stunning picture. Do you think that any of our current display technologies is simple in the sense that you seem to be claiming? Hardly. God, I hope that I never again have to read anyone calling people who buy TVs or make them stupid. Some of your contentions are so wild and unfounded that it's difficult to respond to them seriously. Where does all the venom come from?

Rich-n-Texas
04-24-2007, 09:23 AM

Uhhh... NO, that's not what we talk about here at TI (Texas Instruments to you Noob... ;) ) One of the things we talk about is how DLP OWNED the High Def market in 2006:

"TI's DLP® HDTVs ranked number one in all 1080p HDTV sales for 2006 within the microsdisplay category, according to data from leading U.S. consumer and retail information company The NPD Group. Indicators point to another strong year for DLP with January 2007 statistics reporting DLP HDTVs leading with double the sales of 1080p over the nearest competitor in the same segment." Ref: www.npd.com (http://www.npd.com). That speakes volumes all by itself!

TI invented the IC, remember? Doesn't get more simplistic than that, does it? We talk about how TI is consistently one of "The Top 100 companies to work for", we talk about how proud we are that we're the third largest chipmaker in the world, we talk about the fact that we have high ethical standards and policies, but what you'll see everywhere here is that we are maniacal about being a customer driven company. Trust me, that philosophy is the driving force behind TI's success, and we've been quite successful in the consumer electronics industry because of that force, thank you very much! :yesnod:

Oh and... Do you go to the movie theaters much? Next time you're there, take a look inside the projector's booth. Chances are it's got... :ihih:

edtyct
04-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Oh and... Do you go to the movie theaters much? Next time you're there, take a look inside the projector's booth. Chances are it's got... :ihih:

I was going to point out that DLP virtually owns digital theater at this point, but I forgot. Thanks for adding it. Pixelthis seems to have it in for the color wheel. Fine. Everything's fair game for criticism because nothing's perfect. But notwithstanding the rare cases of rainbows and headaches in various mfgrs' end products, the little chip with the tilting mirrors and the recessed electronics is a marvel of modern technology.

spf
04-26-2007, 03:54 AM
Just as an aside, this week I was able to auditon the Panasonic PT-AE1000
projector which is a 3 chip LCD unit. I will say that the LCD projectors have come a long way since Epsons were the norm. This was a 1080p projector showing off some HD programming from the Bell Dish Network (Canada here of course). The projector was attached to a sliding rail system in which the screen size could be increased or decreased to show customers how large 80" for example.

My first viewing was performed with a smaller 60" image and I must say that there was no SDE until I got up and approached the screen (< 3 feet)...Impressive. The image was very good and the contrast seemed quite strong with only the tiniest amount of motion blur .... could have been my eyes as well. We then moved it up to around 96-97" and the image was still good but there was a slight screen door effect at 10 feet and more prevalent at 8 feet. Keep in mind, with that kind of screen size, you should probably be 10 feet + away so all in all I was pretty impressed. I believe it was around $4800 Cdn so I most likely would go after the Sony SXRD VPLVW50 (nicknamed "Pearl") projector for an extra grand as I found it to have the best image I've yet seen on a projector.

Shane

Hairsonfire
04-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Ed, you are so smoooooth . . . The king of tact and diplomacy. It boggles my mind how knowledgable you are and how eloquently you impart that wisdom to us (uh - me) neophytes. Rock on Dude!

westcott
04-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Well, I am glad that you asked the question before plopping down thousands of dollars. My wife and I both suffer from the DLP syndrome and that is why we went with the Panasonic ae700u. It is worse than just the rainbow effect for some of us. We both get headaches and I get motion sickness if I walk about the room while watching. Very unpleasant. This occured worse on front projection but also occured with rear projection systems we watched.

It is uncommon but it does happen. When three chip solutions without a color wheel become more affordable, I may try a DLP but until then, I will stick with LCD. The margin between the two designs used to be huge but competition has really narrowed the performance margin. If you have never owned one or the other, I doubt you would know the difference.

Good Luck!

Rich-n-Texas
04-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Awfully sorry to hear about your troubles Westcott. I hope it didn't cause you too much inconvience or hassle when you returned it.

I can tell you DLP TV technology is evolving. LED sets are now available, replacing the hot, mercury vapor bulb, and like you said, three chip sets are out there and will soon drop in price, just like every other technology on the market these days.

Good luck with whatever choice you make swwdts. :thumbsup:

pixelthis
04-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Within the last two years, I've either owned or set up, in one way or another, two RP CRTs (Toshiba), a Sony direct-view CRT, four plasmas (Panasonic, Hitachi, Samsung, and Fujitsu), a Sharp flat panel, and a Sony LCoS. The screen-door effect derives from the location of the electronics on LCD chips. It causes gaps between the pixels. The phenomenon has become less evident on certain models, but it is still visible on others. I have always maintained that it is all but eliminated with proper seating distance. Motion blur has also marred LCD displays, although it has become better, too. Black levels on LCDs are rarely as good as those on plasmas. Watch a 4:3 feed of a black background that runs to the edges of the pillarbox on a 16:9 screen--say, deep space or scrolling movie titles. Do the black bars on the sides disappear, or come close to disappearing? Rarely. On a properly set-up plasma with good black levels, they will. LCD's relatively high black level is not a controversial subject. Check out the primary colors on many flat-panel LCDs. Because of the subtractive process, greens and reds are often inaccurate and incorrigible. Color wheels can be quite accurate in this respect.

I think that I've used the Rube Golberg analogy with DLPs myself, but it really is inappropriate. Goldberg's flights of fancy were based on mechanically sound principles but completely arbitrary logic from cause to effect. DLPs certainly adhere to the scientific principles of simplicity, elegance, and efficiency (within budget constraints). I'll be the first to question whether all of its serial illusions represent the state of the art in particular contexts, but I will never impugn its ingeniousness or its ability to show a stunning picture. Do you think that any of our current display technologies is simple in the sense that you seem to be claiming? Hardly. God, I hope that I never again have to read anyone calling people who buy TVs or make them stupid. Some of your contentions are so wild and unfounded that it's difficult to respond to them seriously. Where does all the venom come from?
Why is truth you dont like "venom"?
A friend of mine and I went to check out the 34in sony direct view 34in
for 599$ at CC. and were amazed, and agreed that the best pic in the house was on a sony direct view LCD 1080 progressive, it didnt look like a film as much as a moving photograph.
And I noticed something else, the 34in direct view had something I had completely forgotten about, you could make out the pixel structure if you got close enough.
My 37in LCD is 768p, in order to see any pixels at all, I have to be standing next to the thing, for a "screen door" effect I'd have to have a display five feet wide at least.
When standard def LCD projectors came out from sharp they had a noticable grid over the pic, the space between the lcd "pixels", I wondered how anybody could watch it. It was termed the screen door effect because it looked like a screen door over the pic.
When CDS' became popular some audiophiles claimed against all logic that a turntable sounded better, now some vidiots are claiming the same thing about CRTS versus LCDS, I thought the home theater bunch had better sense.
LCDS are for the most part progressive, which gives them a running start over Crts, which are interlaced.
Black level is great for a system where light is always on, DLP , LCOS,
all such systems have the same problem, it is very slight and is a simple matter of engineering, just a matter of time really.
And "lag " may have been a problem but I have never noticed it and am a avid action movie fan
They arent selling many sony 34inchers, BTW, even at 599, I was told
most people want a flat panel, I guess they look at the olivia 32in for 550 sitting next to it and go for that one.
Plasma waS A BIG SURPRIZE also, 1200 bucks for a 42incher!:ciappa:

edtyct
04-27-2007, 04:41 AM
Most people don't like venom. It is at best unfriendly and unresponsive and at worst hurtful. You can see the picture elements in any technology if you get close enough and/or the display is large enough. It's line structure in CRTs, and pixels in digital TVs. It's not controversial that the pixels are closer together in DLPs and LCoS sets than in LCDs.

CRTs, even Sonys, aren't what they used to be a few years ago (the penultimate 34" XBRs are unmatched), and I would never trust what I saw in a store as an accurate indication of performance. Store displays are usually in torch mode, with minimal (if any) calibration, and those not particularly favored by the sales dept. never look anything like their best, torch mode or not.

LCD, like plasma, DLP, and LCoS, isn't "mostly progressive"; it's progressive by nature. We need not, however, get into the details of the ALiS system in plasma or wobulation in DLPs. CRTs can be both interlaced and progressive. Before they began to die out, they were interlaced at 480i and 1080i and progressive at 480p. However, with a little more engineering and a lot more cost, CRTs could have been capable of 720p as well; it just wasn't worth the expense for mfgrs in a largely 1080i world.

The black level issue isn't necessarily slight, despite the fact it takes engineering to deal with it. All displays with backlighting or bulbs that stay illuminated scatter light within the optical system (CRTs can also scatter light, and techinically minded people often insert black fabric in strategic locations inside RP CRTs to mimimize it). The amount of unwanted light that reaches a screen depends on many factors (including the external environment). So far as the insides are concerned, whether a display is reflective or transmissive makes a big difference. LCD is at a disadvantage in this respect because of where the electronics are located. LCoS and DLP are better situated.

Right, black level isn't much of a problem when the lights are on. LCD positively shines in such a situation, since it can stand up to light in a room extremely well. But many people like to watch films with the lights dim or out. Films without much dark content won't suffer much on LCDs, but many people are painfully aware of the higher black levels on certain LCDs when watching such films. A few newer LCDs have made great strides.

Digital vs. analog audio is irrelevant. But the fact that in that context, as in video, people disagree with you, often on highly empirical, and informed, grounds, doesn't concern you at all.

pixelthis
05-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Uhhh... NO, that's not what we talk about here at TI (Texas Instruments to you Noob... ;) ) One of the things we talk about is how DLP OWNED the High Def market in 2006:

"TI's DLP® HDTVs ranked number one in all 1080p HDTV sales for 2006 within the microsdisplay category, according to data from leading U.S. consumer and retail information company The NPD Group. Indicators point to another strong year for DLP with January 2007 statistics reporting DLP HDTVs leading with double the sales of 1080p over the nearest competitor in the same segment." Ref: www.npd.com (http://www.npd.com). That speakes volumes all by itself!

TI invented the IC, remember? Doesn't get more simplistic than that, does it? We talk about how TI is consistently one of "The Top 100 companies to work for", we talk about how proud we are that we're the third largest chipmaker in the world, we talk about the fact that we have high ethical standards and policies, but what you'll see everywhere here is that we are maniacal about being a customer driven company. Trust me, that philosophy is the driving force behind TI's success, and we've been quite successful in the consumer electronics industry because of that force, thank you very much! :yesnod:

This is the kind of marketing bullfeathers that gets my backhairs up.
Sure they owned the "market" the first year in 1080p sets, BUT how big was THAT market?:19:
And you didnt invent the IC, the government gave it to you from that ceashed
saucer at roswell:smilewinkgrin:
As for analog versus digital being "irrelevant" actually its not.
Its something called an ANALOGY, JUST AS DIGITAL music replaced analog, so progressive will replace interlaced.
Oh, and enjoy the "sales" of 1080p DLPS (mostly to people who dont have wives or
offspring to worry about)
As soon as these new 1080p flat panels hit the streets sales of ALL dlps, not just 1080p models, are gonna drop faster than a brick airplane.
Gotta lot of TI stock in your 401k? I'd be rethinking that if I were you:lol:

pixelthis
05-05-2007, 12:54 AM
AND why should I go to a movie theater? I have a much nicer one in my house:2:

Mr Peabody
05-05-2007, 04:40 AM
It would be nice if Progressive would take over but since most of the networks standards seem to be 1080i probably the only way we will ever see real 1080p is with a HD disc on a modern movie shot in HD. One of the networks went with 720p, I think maybe Fox. I doubt if cable or satelite ever gets to the point where they deliver true 1080p. My eyes aren't good enough to tell the difference but 720p should logically be better than 1080i, if 480p is better than 480i. 1080i should only be equivalent to about 540p. Something about the American mind that makes us think bigger is better. Uh, you mean the letter at the end means something?:)

I gather from what has been said here the DLP rainbow can exist. I consider myself fortunate that myself or family have not noticed it.

Rich-n-Texas
05-05-2007, 06:03 AM
This is the kind of marketing bullfeathers that gets my backhairs up.
You have neither backhairs, balls, nor anything that resembles common sense sir.

Sure they owned the "market" the first year in 1080p sets, BUT how big was THAT market?:19:
Huh? 2006 was the first year for HD TV??? I would suspect that in 2006 the HD market was pretty well established, don't you think?

And you didnt invent the IC, the government gave it to you from that ceashed
saucer at roswell:smilewinkgrin:
That statement gives you all sorts of credibility here dude.

...Oh, and enjoy the "sales" of 1080p DLPS (mostly to people who dont have wives or
offspring to worry about)
Do you have any statistics to back that rediculous assumption up pixe?

As soon as these new 1080p flat panels hit the streets sales of ALL dlps, not just 1080p models, are gonna drop faster than a brick airplane.
But I have a 1080p DLP in my living room right now that I'm looking at in amazement while sitting here wasting my time typing this response to your baseless statements dude.

Gotta lot of TI stock in your 401k? I'd be rethinking that if I were you:lol:
Uh... NO. Do I sound like a former ENRON employee to you? Oh and BTW, in this current semiconductor down market, TI reported a 20% PFO for 1Q07. Might want to call your financial advisor. :ciappa:

DEVO
05-05-2007, 06:53 AM
I have yet to have seen a "Rainbow Effect" from day one. I have seen them go from the first chip to the Mustang chip, to the HD2 to the HD2+ then to the HD3 and so on and so on. Unless you move your head side by side in a freckish way I don't know how you can see it.
And I am just like you SWWDTS...I am also an epileptic, and after 15 +/- years of custom designing/installation I've only seen it on computer generated demo's by competitors. If you have a budget in mind, go for Sony's SXRD. It is a lot smoother w/ no wobulation technology. I take Topamax & Kepra...hope your life is good to you!!!

pixelthis
05-07-2007, 12:14 AM
You have neither backhairs, balls, nor anything that resembles common sense sir.

Huh? 2006 was the first year for HD TV??? I would suspect that in 2006 the HD market was pretty well established, don't you think?

That statement gives you all sorts of credibility here dude.

Do you have any statistics to back that rediculous assumption up pixe?

But I have a 1080p DLP in my living room right now that I'm looking at in amazement while sitting here wasting my time typing this response to your baseless statements dude.

Uh... NO. Do I sound like a former ENRON employee to you? Oh and BTW, in this current semiconductor down market, TI reported a 20% PFO for 1Q07. Might want to call your financial advisor. :ciappa:
You didnt say HD or 1080 market, you said 1080P MARKET, A TINY (In comparison ) segment of the overall tv market, a market dominated by LCD flatpanels.
There is a difference between the overall market and just 1080p's, stilll a tiny portion of the overall market. Marketing wonks love lawyerese like this (99$ down and 99$ a month buys you a new car, and after three months the payments are 400bucks a month for a decade or so)
And your lack of understanding of a joke shows you MUST be in marketing, the only department s routinely outsmarted by the janitorial dept.
And that DLP set you're looking at in amazment is going to have people passing by your house looking at it in amazment, as it sits on the curb waiting for the trashman, since nobody will even pick it up for free, maybe a homeless guy can turn it into a den next to his refrigerator box, people will be looking at it in amazment, amazment that someone would buy such a cumbersome, gimicky contraption that breaks with surprising
regularity after the warrenty runs out, when a sleek 1080p set will beat it in picture
and last 20 troublefree years.
And you do sound like a former enron employee, bragging about how hes got it made, just like all cattle going to slaughter, totally oblivious until the steel bolt takes his head off
You're making a product that has no reason to exist, its a complicated way of doing something that other devices do a lot more easily, and the mass market HATES THOSE.
LOVE crappy sounding mp3's, HATE dvd audio and sacd
LOVE cheap flat panels HATE expensive complicated sets in (comparativly) large boxes
that take up a lot of room.
Go to sams club, look at the few DLP sets they have, then check out the STACKS
of VIZIO flat panels fresh off the boat from tawain, and while there stock up on ALPO.
You're gonna need it:ciappa: