My kid keeps.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My kid keeps....

L.J.
04-12-2007, 10:34 AM
.... turning the TV and my 2910 power on and off. We try to stop him but sometimes he gets to them. He's getting better at not doing it but it still happens maybe 4 or 5 times a day. He's only 1 so it's a big game to him.

I'm wondering if this on/off stuff can do any damage to my gear?

Dusty Chalk
04-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Our cat keeps doing the same thing (in her case, stepping on the remote). I can guarantee you, though, the cat will never outgrow this phase, whereas your kid probably will. He might start doing it on purpose, but will outgrow that phase, too.

Damage? Nah...might use up the life expectancy, but that's about it.

basite
04-12-2007, 11:04 AM
indeed, no damage, just make sure he doesn't start to unplug powercords and stuff :)

the only bad habit my cat can have is that it keeps using my keyboard as a 'place to sit'. That, however, might cause damage...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
04-12-2007, 11:07 AM
I can almost hear that sub thumping back on each time.

Resident Loser
04-12-2007, 12:00 PM
...you could always send him over to FAs neighbor and have him give the kid a good talking to...

jimHJJ(...was that inappropriate?...)

basite
04-12-2007, 12:30 PM
I can almost hear that sub thumping back on each time.

horrible sound... :cornut:

L.J.
04-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks everyone. I can breathe a little easier now.

Hey dkmaggiefan, why don't you get off line and try to find yourself a freakin' woman or hobby or something!

trollgirl
04-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks everyone. I can breathe a little easier now.

Don't relax too much yet. I recall that my daughter used to do that, and not just the punching of buttons, but cranking knobs too. Like the volume knob, right? I came home one day, powered up the pre amp, the power amp, the CDP, loaded a CD, and punched [PLAY]. I then did two things at the same time, and very quickly too: I leaped for the volume knob [ALL the way up] and looked to the power amp's meters. I saw them drift back from 400 watts. The speakers were always a bit raspy after that...

Laz

L.J.
04-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Don't relax too much yet. I recall that my daughter used to do that, and not just the punching of buttons, but cranking knobs too. Like the volume knob, right? I came home one day, powered up the pre amp, the power amp, the CDP, loaded a CD, and punched [PLAY]. I then did two things at the same time, and very quickly too: I leaped for the volume knob [ALL the way up] and looked to the power amp's meters. I saw them drift back from 400 watts. The speakers were always a bit raspy after that...

Laz

Ouch!

Hmm.....why do I picture all this happening in slow motion.

kexodusc
04-13-2007, 10:44 AM
...you could always send him over to FAs neighbor and have him give the kid a good talking to...

jimHJJ(...was that inappropriate?...)
Inappropriate, maybe...but it was pretty damn funny (in an Andrew Dice Clay sort of way).

Woochifer
04-13-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm eagerly taking notes on this thread, since our little one is due in 5 (?!) weeks! :eek:

It's not really the on-off buttons I'm worried about, at least in that case, the child is simply operating something the way as originally intended ... albeit not necessarily to that degree of repetition!

I'm actually more worried about the child operating my gear in a way NOT intended by the manufacturer! (i.e., confusing the cooling vents on the receiver for a piggy bank, "feeding" the DVD player, taking a ride on the disc carousel, seeing what kind of sound the speaker makes when it gets knocked over, etc.)

And it might be a heriditary thing too, because my toddler niece once decided to help out with household chores by "cleaning" the TV for daddy ... using full glass of water and pouring it down the screen! She did such a thorough job that the water seeped into the control circuits and shorted them out ... ouch! I wonder if Panasonic makes Toughbook versions of their TVs. :idea:

L.J.
04-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Thankfully everything else is out of reach. I'm just waiting for him to discover he can pop the speaker grills off. :nonod:

5 weeks! Congrats again Wooch, time sure does fly.