You might be a yeasayer if ... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : You might be a yeasayer if ...

okiemax
02-18-2004, 01:29 AM
A few weeks ago I posted a "You might be a naysayer humor list," and said then that I hoped someone would follow with a yeasayer list. No one has come forward, so to be fair, I have prepared such a list on yeasayers, or perhaps what some might call cable fanatics. Here it is ...

YOU MIGHT BE A YEASAYER IF ......

1. The amount of money you have tied up in wire is a closely guarded secret, known only by you and your analyst.

2. You have ever said to your wife "Oh no, honey, those just look like new speaker cables."

3. You have ever wondered if the color of wire is audible.

4. Deciding whether to use sand or lead shot in speaker stands was a dilema.

5. You have speaker cable the size of garden hose.

6. You can change interconnects blindfolded.

7. The jacks on your amp and pre-amp are coming loose

8. Your have wires named after reptiles, rocks, or precious stones.

9. Bananas and spades don't mean fruit and shovels.

10. Your wife has ever insisted you remove the cable risers before guests arrive.

11. You have ever considered arranging wires according to feng shui principles.

12. You suspect double-blind tests on cables make you imagine you are not hearing what you heard when you could see the cables.

13. You have ever refused to use an ABX comparator because it was not cyro treated.

14. Burning in your new power cord on the refrigerator made the food taste better.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD TO THE LIST.

mtrycraft
02-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Very good :D

markw
02-19-2004, 02:51 AM
... you vehemently swear that cable break-in makes a "huge difference" but have to post a question on a public forum to ask how long it takes? If it makes such a difference, wouldn't their own ears tell them when it's done?

Tony_Montana
02-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Here is another one:

Yeasayers ears are more sensitive than electronic instruments :D

Bill L
02-20-2004, 07:56 AM
You can hear.
You can think for yourself.
Your system and set up isn't junk.
You think maybe these physics gurus would go to a physics forum if they actually knew anything, but obviously would only embarass themselves if they did.
You wonder why anyone would care what cables you use, if they had a life.

jneutron
02-20-2004, 08:35 AM
You can hear..
I can hear..

You can think for yourself..
I can think for myself. And sometimes, I actually do so..

Your system and set up isn't junk..
Hmmm..beauty is in the eye.....

You think maybe these physics gurus would go to a physics forum if they actually knew anything, but obviously would only embarass themselves if they did. .
Yah...who do they think they are...

Actually, been there...presented there...only got embarrassed when I couldn't sink those darn balls in the pockets after two martini's at the Hilton in Chicago..

You wonder why anyone would care what cables you use, if they had a life.

Have a life...but still don't care what cables you use..interested...but don't care.

Guess I'm a yaysayer?

Cheers, John

PS...nah...nevermind..

Monstrous Mike
02-20-2004, 08:51 AM
You might be a yeasayer if:

You're abducted by aliens and your main concern is to see what cables they are using.

Bill L
02-20-2004, 08:55 AM
A picture IS worth a thousand words! Congrats on your degree anyway. Now clean up your room!

jneutron
02-20-2004, 09:05 AM
A picture IS worth a thousand words! Congrats on your degree anyway. Now clean up your room!

Which degree?? the Farenheit or the Centigrate one? My edjumacashun one is 27 years old..Chicago was a accelerator magnet conference..They had it there because gravity is different in Chicago...that's why the balls couldn't get into the pockets..(least, that was my excuse..)

The room is clean, now..my 18 yr old son borrowed one of the systems for his own mobile dj use..the smaller one shown is in my basement..with the other two systems..

But....question remains....is it junk?

1000 seat venue....no...

1 seat living room....yup..

Cheers, John

Bill L
02-20-2004, 12:43 PM
"But....question remains....is it junk?"

That would be a performance issue, including set up and acoustics. One piece of a puzzle. Have an audiophile set it up for you and you'll know.

jneutron
02-20-2004, 12:55 PM
"But....question remains....is it junk?"

That would be a performance issue, including set up and acoustics. One piece of a puzzle. Have an audiophile set it up for you and you'll know.

I have done so..

My ten year old ran the snake and speaker setup.

My 8 year old ran the sound check on the dual cd player/mixer rack up in the balcony . They had fun..

I had more fun watching them do the sound checks than they had doing them. Surprisingly, I had to really coax my daughter to turn the system up to full power..my 18 year old is unencumbered by that reserve..

BTW..the system pictured is 12 inch delta pro eminence with selenium 2 inch compression driver d205ti's. Amp qsc rmx 1450...300 wpc rms..denon 1800 dual cd..

Foolproof and rather nice sounding in a 450 seat venue..but the xover is designed for flat response, without phase considerations. So sit down in a living room is not appropriate...I designed the speakers entirely for small size, high eff. (101dBspl), and high power capability..Foolproof because I use it...

As for audiophile friends? Don't have any...(friends, that is..)

I'm working a speaker wire design that has under 30 nanohenries of inductance per foot, as compared to zip with 196 nanohenries per foot.. I have a co-worker (yah, friend also) who states outright that he can hear the diff between wires...I'll be checking that...and letting him listen to my wire. It'll be fun..

Cheers, John

FLZapped
02-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Have an audiophile set it up for you and you'll know.

HAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHA! Not on your life bucko. :D

Rockwell
02-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Have an audiophile set it up for you and you'll know.

As long a he has his audiophile certification.

What that certification might entail boggles the mind :D ...certainly not critical thinking, but maybe a trip to the Caribou compound for a session with J Briggs IX.

Bill L
02-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Sounds like you have a great PA system there. Kids love stuff like that. I guess it makes them audiophiles by strict interpretation, if not in the contemporary sense. They'll need to play with some quality designs, in home, for that. Tah-Tah! BillL.

Bill L
02-20-2004, 03:11 PM
That was for you.

Bill L
02-20-2004, 03:13 PM
And so clever no one knows what you're talking about.

Rockwell
02-20-2004, 06:18 PM
And so clever no one knows what you're talking about.

What, you've never heard of James Davenport Briggs III: America's foremost audiophile and his Caribou Maine compound? For shame! Even I, a lowly naysayer who can't even think for himself, know of James.

I thought for certain that experts like audiophiles would have some sort extensive education (like, say, an engineer) or certification to prove how good they are at hearing things. I guess "self proclaimed" is good enough to satisfy each other.