Recommendations on a basic receiver/amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on a basic receiver/amp

rizzo
04-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Howdy,

first post here...I'm putting together a basic home system and would appreciate any recommendations on a simple receiver amp... in the low cost area (200+ or -). I'm an ex-audiophile (for financial reasons the "ex") but keeping it simple and cheap now. I'm an Ebay hunter, but it has so much stuff I'm a little lost. Any links or advise much appreciated.

thx.

Resident Loser
04-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Howdy,

first post here...I'm putting together a basic home system and would appreciate any recommendations on a simple receiver amp... in the low cost area (200+ or -). I'm an ex-audiophile (for financial reasons the "ex") but keeping it simple and cheap now. I'm an Ebay hunter, but it has so much stuff I'm a little lost. Any links or advise much appreciated.

thx.

...basic 2ch stereo or HT?

jimHJJ(...sombody is going to ask it, may as well be me...)

anamorphic96
04-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Please provide more info.

Size of room ?
2 channel or home theatre ?
Do you listen at loud levels ?
Types of music you listen to ?

If you just want 2 channel stereo. Try and find a Harman Kardon 3480 receiver. Great unit for the money. You can usually find these on ebay for 200 or less.

rizzo
04-12-2007, 11:11 AM
whoops, sorry for missing those important details.

Yes, just 2 channel will be fine for now. Room is about 15 x 18. Lots of reflective hardwoods. No curtains either.

Medium volume levels. No crazy rock (well, once in a while :D)...mostly ambient techno and vocalists/guitar.

Speakers are old KLH's. sorry don't have the model # in front of me. These have been great speakers for me in the past.

Some CD's, some vinal, some ipod.

thanks again.

oh, maybe would like to run 4 channels at some point...

rizzo
04-12-2007, 01:31 PM
also looks like Fry's is a Harmon dealer...maybe I'll head down there after work today.

PeruvianSkies
04-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Do you want an integrated amp or a receiver since you are doing 2-channel? Are you hoping to (down the road) get back into the audiophile market?

My thoughts on a rather cheap receiver always leads to Pioneer.

matt39
04-12-2007, 03:00 PM
I think a Harman Kardon receiver would work pretty well for you if you can find one to fit your budget. You might also consider the Onkyo 's at Circuit City. These have recently been updated and the 50 wpc model is right about $200. If you have a Denon dealer in your area they have some reasonable stereo models that are good quality and affordable. Good luck.

L.J.
04-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Wow, how unnecessary was that?

Just think, the idiot actually took the time to sign up an account to post this crap in several threads. There are some sick puppies out there.

bobsticks
04-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Just think, the idiot actually took the time to sign up an account to post this crap in several threads. There are some sick puppies out there.

Yeah, some things weren't meant to happen, much less be seen...

compaqguy
04-12-2007, 03:47 PM
what did I miss?

PeruvianSkies
04-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Perhaps this is a valid reason for why people signing up on this site should be required to fill out information in their profile, including pictures. It would seem that if there is more requirements to join it will keep this site more reputable with people who are actually interested in staying around. Plus less trolls and spam.

compaqguy
04-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Perhaps this is a valid reason for why people signing up on this site should be required to fill out information in their profile, including pictures. It would seem that if there is more requirements to join it will keep this site more reputable with people who are actually interested in staying around. Plus less trolls and spam.

Very true... Take it p0rn was posted again.

Dusty Chalk
04-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Sort of. Ask for a PM if you want a verbal description, but suffice it to say you're not missing anything.

2chAlex
04-13-2007, 09:04 PM
I'd have to put a word in for Marantz. Check out accessories4less.com. The SR4320 2-channel for 230 refurb or 349 new. They also have Onkyo receivers. For used, try Audiogon there you can check out amps, intergrated and receivers all on one site. Happy shopping