HELP! leviton architectural edition powered by JBL [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HELP! leviton architectural edition powered by JBL

slpinct
04-12-2007, 01:55 AM
I am building an new house and want to put surround sound in my family room with plasma screen over fireplace. My electrician uses the "Levitron Architectural Edition powered by JBL installed theater speaker and components". I have no experience with surround sound. He also uses Nutone ceiling speakers. Please give me any feedback on systems. I have to answer him quickly. He says its around $700. The room size is 14x24. Help please!

musicman1999
04-12-2007, 12:29 PM
I do not know anything about those speakers,but $700.00 for the whole system would mean rather low end for most people,ask the installer to hear the system in someones home for your self.Also is mounting a plasma above a fire place a very good idea?I would think you could run into heat problems.I have read reports on other forums of panels warping when installed to close to the heat.

bill

AVMASTER
04-12-2007, 02:41 PM
this is what happens when builders and electricians start poking around in my neck of the woods, the unsuspecting home buyer ends up with low quality, low performing equipment or wiring infrastructure is incorrect. Skip the equipment and have the electrician run speaker wire and source cabling to desired locations only. Contact a custom installation shop in your area and let people that specialize in A/V help you. Skip the plasma and find a comparable LCD

slpinct
04-12-2007, 02:46 PM
AVMASTER,
Should I have him wire so the speakers are mounted in the ceiling? or should I plan to have the speakers in the corner of the room? I am meeting with him tomorrow morning. I am clueless.....sorry...but thanks for your help.

AVMASTER
04-12-2007, 03:50 PM
the more flexible solution would be the ceiling, this would allow you a greater choice and size; however the ceiling speakers should be directional ( tweeter and/or woofer can be aimed or directed towards sitting area). Speaker wire can be at least 16 gage and must be UL rated for in-wall use. For simplicity sake you could get away with one speaker a few feet from each corner ( allow yourself some room for possible larger diameter speakers)and one above the television location.