Westinghouse HDTV sans-tuner: the future? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Westinghouse HDTV sans-tuner: the future?

nightflier
04-11-2007, 05:42 PM
I don't know how good the picture is, but it seems that removing the tuner does allow the company to reduce costs:

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=44

Considering most people use a cable box anyhow, this seems like an acceptable compromise. Come to think of it, I haven't used my TV's internal tuner in ages.

Now if they make a model w/o speakers but with all the other features left intact, then they might have something. W/o speakers they can probably get the edge around the screen to be much narrower too, making for a very attractive (and lighter) TV monitor.

Luvin Da Blues
04-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Actually nightflier a lot of flat panel TV's have removable speakers like my Daytek (Canadian version of Daewoo)

markw
04-12-2007, 09:00 AM
More and more sets are coming out this way. In fact, you have to read the fine print to get a flat-screen TV with a tuner built in.

But salespeople aren't too forthcoming about this and most people don't even think to ask since, up to now, tuners in TV's were a given. Can't really blame either side totally since most people have cable anyway and it's a logical assumption.

But, truth be told, I'm of the opinion that a good salesperson would ask if they expect to be using an antenna with the set and recommend accordingly, even though it adds a few $$ to the set.

Kind of like phono stages in receivers and amps. Most people didn't even notice they didn't have one since CD's were the mainstay of the industry. It was only when that rare someone decides to add vinyl do they realize it ain't there.

nightflier
04-13-2007, 03:22 PM
What about the Westinghouse brand? I've seen it at BB, but that's not really a comforting fact.

edtyct
04-14-2007, 06:10 AM
Peter Putnam, a highly regarded video technician, has had some very good things to say about the Westinghouse LCDs. Do a Google on "Peter Putnam Westinghouse," and I bet something will come up.

Rock&Roll Ninja
04-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Westinghouse is one of the world's oldest consumer electronics companies, Its hardly an iLo or Admiral

godfatherofsoul
04-15-2007, 03:37 PM
More and more sets are coming out this way. In fact, you have to read the fine print to get a flat-screen TV with a tuner built in.

But salespeople aren't too forthcoming about this and most people don't even think to ask since, up to now, tuners in TV's were a given. Can't really blame either side totally since most people have cable anyway and it's a logical assumption.

But, truth be told, I'm of the opinion that a good salesperson would ask if they expect to be using an antenna with the set and recommend accordingly, even though it adds a few $$ to the set.

Kind of like phono stages in receivers and amps. Most people didn't even notice they didn't have one since CD's were the mainstay of the industry. It was only when that rare someone decides to add vinyl do they realize it ain't there.

Actually, more and more sets are coming out with the tuners built-in, but you are right about the only real need for a tuner is when the person is using an antenna.
Thank you for the compliment about a good salesperson asking about the antenna - that is one of the first things my customers hear about... HD with an antenna is better in my area than through Comcast - no compression.

Cheers!

markw
04-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Actually, more and more sets are coming out with the tuners built-in, but you are right about the only real need for a tuner is when the person is using an antenna.To me, that's good news. I based my statement on my experience when I was shopping for a HDTV in a set price (but somewhat flexible) range last fall. Most of then didn't have a tuner. Perhaps had I been looking in a higher price bracket things would have been different.

FWIW, mu budget was < 800 for a good 32" set with a tuner. I wound up with a Toshiba 32HL66 for $800 in October. Yeah, it's at least $100 less now, but I still don't regret it.

Thank you for the compliment about a good salesperson asking about the antenna - that is one of the first things my customers hear about...Well then, you deserve it. It's rare to find a salesperson who actually qualifies a customers needs beyond asking what they want to spend.

HD with an antenna is better in my area than through Comcast - no compression.Same here. I get seven national network feeds in HT and and over thirty more digital stations with a 35 year old RCA rooftop antenna (which also serves as an FM antenna for four receivers) and, given the choice, I go OTA everytime but cable does offer much, much more variety. With an ATSC tuner and a decent antenna, you can get the best of both worlds. I DO love my Smallville and PBS in OTA HD.

pixelthis
04-21-2007, 12:17 AM
High quality crt sets without tuners used to be sold quite a bit.
They were called monitors.
A tuner will come in handy if you live in a metro area and cant afford cable, otherwise its a waste of money.
I have both HD and analog tuners, the analog looks like crap, (like most analog) and the nearest station in hd is fifty miles away
I doubt I will use either one, you should see the lineup of "broadcast"
hd you can get on my set over cable, mostly pbs and the music stations

pixelthis
04-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Btw "westinghouse" has nothing to do with the westinghouse owned by GE, there primary product is stuff like nuclear reactors .
They leased (or maybe sold) their nameto the LCD maker.
A move of questionable marketing value, considering the shakey reliability of westinghouses' earlier products

nightflier
04-24-2007, 09:36 AM
They leased (or maybe sold) their name to the LCD maker. A move of questionable marketing value, considering the shakey reliability of westinghouses' earlier products

Well that does not sound positive.

edtyct
04-24-2007, 10:15 AM
The brand name of Westinghouse is leased from CBS/Viacom by a company that imports LCDs from China. So what else is new? The Westinghouse LCDs aren't half bad. Did you check out Peter Putnam's review of one with a tuner? Other positive reviews exist, too.

pixelthis
04-29-2007, 01:22 AM
You misunderstand me, I have heard nothing but good things about the westinghouse LCDS.
But I remember when certain westinghouse appliances had a less than stellar reputation, so why put such a name on such a neat line of TVS?
Kinda like naming your dog "doofus":5:

nightflier
05-07-2007, 09:46 AM
I know it sounds silly, but the name "Westinghouse" is not what comes to mind when I think hi-tech. It sounds more like something Frank Lloyd Wright built or a retirement community.

Edtyct, do you have a link to that Putnam review?

markw
05-07-2007, 10:04 AM
where Elmer Fudd would way down his weary head to get a widdle sweep.

StanleyMuso
05-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Westinghouse mainly sold fridges, stoves and washing machines.

N. Abstentia
05-15-2007, 07:25 AM
I remember them being called White Westinghouse back in the day of fridges and stoves and stuff.

nightflier
05-25-2007, 11:22 AM
I read some reviews of the Westinghouse models, and I must say they are not impressive. I like the fact that they forgo the tuner to keep costs down, but I am not willing to compromise so much in picture quality (black levels, so-so standard def TV, motion issues, etc.). I know it costs a lot less, but I just know I'll be fixated on those issues if I buy one of these.

Now I know that they cost more, but I've narrowed it down to these two that should deliver much more impressive picture-quality: the Sharp Aquos LC-46D82U and the Olevia 747i. Of the latter I like the fact that I can remove the speakers, another feature that more manufacturers should adopt.