That annoying hummmmmmm . . . [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : That annoying hummmmmmm . . .

Hairsonfire
04-11-2007, 03:46 PM
I swapped out my DVD Player (sony ES9000 SACD/DVD) in order to try a newer unit that supports HDMI and I am experiencing this very annoying hum through the speakers. Not sure if it is ground loop - Why would there not be a problem with the higher end unit? I have had the sony serviced a couple of times for a faulty transport and every "loaner" they gave me had the same problem. This has happened in several different houses over the years. I have trouble shot this to death - disconnecting cable feed, swapping out cables, cheater plug, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions? i have two acurus amps, a three channel and a two channel, and an energy sub, as well as an acurus act III processor. It is driving me nuts! Thanks folks.

hermanv
04-12-2007, 07:33 AM
1. All the equipment should be plugged into the same outlet, use one of those surge suppresor multiple outlet strips if there are more devices than plugs. Often different outlets will have enough ground differential to cause a hum.

2.. If you are using a digital connection from your DVD to a reciever it's quite hard to imagine the hum geting in this way.

3. If there are RCA cables to any other piece of equipment, then it is safe to unground the DVD player, use an isolation plug, you will need to find one that can be reversed in the socket. Try pugging the unit in both ways to see of there is an effect on the hum.

4. Or if the TV or receiver does not have a three wire plug, then try rotating the plugs on either unit to see if it effects the hum

WARNING at least one device must be grounded for your safety, RCA cable ground leads will ground the other devices.

5. If the connection is through a HDMI or DVI cable maybe a seperate ground wire from the DVD, Receiver or TV chassis to the other components will help.

PeruvianSkies
04-12-2007, 07:41 AM
I swapped out my DVD Player (sony ES9000 SACD/DVD) in order to try a newer unit that supports HDMI and I am experiencing this very annoying hum through the speakers. Not sure if it is ground loop - Why would there not be a problem with the higher end unit? I have had the sony serviced a couple of times for a faulty transport and every "loaner" they gave me had the same problem. This has happened in several different houses over the years. I have trouble shot this to death - disconnecting cable feed, swapping out cables, cheater plug, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions? i have two acurus amps, a three channel and a two channel, and an energy sub, as well as an acurus act III processor. It is driving me nuts! Thanks folks.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your question, but I can concur that I experienced a rather similar occurance at one point in time. I can't remember all the exact details, but one thing that was true is that it seemed when the HDMI was connected from my previous Denon 2910 and I was NOT using the HDMI, but just using the player for audio-only usage...that I was getting intereference in the signal. So, I just disconnected the HDMI cable and that was the end of it. However, this was a cure to my problem only because I didn't care about connecting via HDMI...I was only using that to get on-screen display from time to time, but ended up going through my receiver via component.

So, don't feel that you are the only one in with this issue. Like I said, I don't know why it was a problem, but I definitely had some 'noise' and it took me FOREVER to figure out the culprit.

Hairsonfire
04-12-2007, 08:51 AM
HermanV, thanks so much for your suggestions. I am printing out your notes and will try some more trouble shooting later. Very kind of you to take the time and be so helpful.

What a guy!

Hairsonfire
04-13-2007, 01:44 PM
I fixed it! Ahhh, how gratifying! I replaced the coax cable with an optical - no hum. Thanks guys!