TV Choice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TV Choice

mrdeeds
02-17-2004, 09:39 PM
I am looking to purchase a new 32" TV. I have 3 choices, the Phillips 32PT663F for $737.00, Sony Wega KV32FS100 for $948 and the JVC AV32FA44 for the $948.00 all in Canadian dollars.

I was leaning towards the JVC, but is it really worth the extra $200? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

spf
02-18-2004, 05:01 AM
on what you think is important. The JVC model you mention is the newer Drape series of I-Art and it does carry more features than the comparable Wega you have listed. Picture quality IMO is the Wega but not by the margin it once held over all others. The Toshiba 32AF43 is another option in this price range as well. Inputs, TV speaker quality, etc are usually moot points if you are setting up a home theatre system. Take a good time to audition what they have to offer then make the choice based on what you find is the best for you. Cheers

Shane

Smokey
02-18-2004, 01:33 PM
From March '04 issue:

PQ=Picture Quality via S-Video input are rated as Excellent (best), Very Good (above average), and Good (average). All TVs have good sound quality except where indicated.

32-INCH CONVENTIONAL SETS

1. Toshiba FST Black 32A43 $450 PQ=Excellent, Excellent sound quality.

2. Sony FD Trinitron Wega KV-32FV310 $900 PQ=Excellent, Excellent sound quality. Short (3-mo.) labor warranty.

3. JVC D-Series AV-32D104 $440 PQ=Very good.

4. JVC l'Art AV-32FA44 $700 PQ=Very good.

5. Sharp F630 Series 32F631 $600 PQ=Very good.

6. Toshiba Cinema Series 32AF53 $675 PQ=Very Good.

7. Panasonic Tau Pureflat CT-32SL13 $550 PQ=Very Good.

8. Sony FD Trinitron Wega KV-32FS210 $800 PQ=Very Good.
Short (3-mo.) labor warranty.

9. Panasonic E Series CT-32E33 $480 PQ=Very Good.

10. Toshiba FST Pure 32AF43 $650 PQ=Good.

11. Philips Designer Series 32PT563S $450 PQ=Very Good,

12. Philips Designer Series 32PT663R $650 PQ=Very Good,

13. Apex Digital PF3230 $600 PQ=Very Good, Excellent sound quality.
Short (3-mo.) labor warranty. Similar model PF3220, $500, lacks side-panel S-video input.

14. Sharp 32F830 $700 PQ=Good.

15. RCA 32F530T $650 PQ=Good,

16. Sharp F630 Series 32F630 $500 PQ=Very Good,

17. Panasonic E Series CT-32E13 $450 PQ=Very Good,

18. Apex Digital AT3208S $330 PQ=Good. There are better choices; no component-video input. Sound quality is only Fair.
Short picture-tube (12-mo.) and labor (3-mo.) warranties.

Here is the full report:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=1781

woodman
02-18-2004, 02:50 PM
I am looking to purchase a new 32" TV. I have 3 choices, the Phillips 32PT663F for $737.00, Sony Wega KV32FS100 for $948 and the JVC AV32FA44 for the $948.00 all in Canadian dollars.

I was leaning towards the JVC, but is it really worth the extra $200? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Take the word of someone with many, many years of experience actually working on these beasts ... scratch the Sony OFF of your list, along with the Philips. I personally wouldn't consider buying either one for myself.

Why do you say that you have only 3 choices? Do you only have one store to buy from and those are the three brands that they carry? If you have access to another store that carries Toshiba, I'd recommend the 32A43 as your best value. It only costs $450 US, which should translate to about $600 CDN wouldn't it?

If you absolutely have no choice but to choose between the 3 sets that you listed, then I'd get the JVC - pay the extra cost - it will most likely prove to be more reliable than the other two. Reliability is FAR more important IMO than any slight picture quality superiority that might exist between brands.

Hope this helps you

mrdeeds
02-18-2004, 09:56 PM
If you absolutely have no choice but to choose between the 3 sets that you listed, then I'd get the JVC - pay the extra cost - it will most likely prove to be more reliable than the other two. Reliability is FAR more important IMO than any slight picture quality superiority that might exist between brands.

Hope this helps you

I guess RCA would out of your acceptable reliabilty standards? I was thinking of an RCA originally as I have never had problems with my TV, VCR and DVD all RCA/Proscan. I will definitely do some more research. Thanks.

woodman
02-18-2004, 10:39 PM
I guess RCA would out of your acceptable reliabilty standards? I was thinking of an RCA originally as I have never had problems with my TV, VCR and DVD all RCA/Proscan. I will definitely do some more research. Thanks.

How did you ever guess? RCA is not only not within my reliability standards, it's at the very bottom of my list of acceptable brands. At one point in time, I was a very staunch supporter of RCA, but that was 35-40 years ago. Today, I wouldn't allow a product bearing the RCA logo past my front door - at any price!

So, you're not limited to just the three sets that you posted about originally, then? Good. If you can find a dealer that carries Toshiba, get the one that I suggested in my last post. You cannot do better.

TorontoFish
02-20-2004, 09:38 PM
I just picked up a JVC I'Art pro (AV-32P903) HD TV from Sam's club for CDN$650, it's a floor demo, and have some scratches on the top and left side of front cover, but the pictue quality is very good. It even comes with a JVC stand, I thought it's too good to be true, you may want to check it out. Happy hunting!

This Guy
02-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Just curious, but what did RCA do to make you hate them so much? I have one of their 32" sets that is a couple years old and bought it cause I thought it had the best picture in my price range. I admit I was too young and ignorant to be searchnig for a tv of this much ($450) and not doing much research. To this day I'm still happy with the TV, it's got all the inputs I need, never had any problems, and I still think it's got a nice picture (I'm by no means a videophile). So just wandering, do they have reliability issues or something?

-Joey

mrdeeds
02-21-2004, 05:32 AM
I just picked up a JVC I'Art pro (AV-32P903) HD TV from Sam's club for CDN$650, it's a floor demo, and have some scratches on the top and left side of front cover, but the pictue quality is very good. It even comes with a JVC stand, I thought it's too good to be true, you may want to check it out. Happy hunting!

Sam's Club, what's that? Seriously though, we only have Wal-Mart's here in Edmonton AB. No Sam's Club yet, though I HATE Wal-mart.

mrdeeds
02-21-2004, 05:50 AM
Just curious, but what did RCA do to make you hate them so much? I have one of their 32" sets that is a couple years old and bought it cause I thought it had the best picture in my price range. To this day I'm still happy with the TV, it's got all the inputs I need, never had any problems, and I still think it's got a nice picture (I'm by no means a videophile). So just wandering, do they have reliability issues or something?

-Joey

I have a 27" RCA with Guide+ (lovin it!) and PiP that's lasted me for over 4 years now. Only problems were the sound would get really low (due to overheating) when it was on for long time during really hot days and there was one pixel that was out, so I got a new tube. Sound processor is fine now too. I got a 6 year extended Futureshop Warranty.

If you look at reviews at epinions, Circuit City and Consumer Reports, there seem to be more quality/reliabililty problems than most. Plus most sales people would say that as well, which to me is sometimes a sales ploy or bait and switch.

I am still an RCA loyal follower though. I just want to make a good judgement.

mrdeeds
02-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Well I took the plunge and picked up the JVC I'Art AV-F3A44 from Visions and getting it delivered tomorrow. The lowest price I was able to knock it down to is $902.00 CAD, that is down from the sticker price of $1,088, and the previously offered price of $948. Futureshop was listing the JVC for $999, but would not budge on the price. I was in the store for a good hour before I made the final decision.

I was thinking about the Toshiba, but it was not being offered at Visions and Futureshop had it on for $1,099 and again would not move on price. I am very happy with the decision, but a little sad at not being able to buy what I had set out, the RCA F32530T with good ol' Guide Plus. It's hard being brand loyal and then having to switch on one of your components.

TorontoFish
02-22-2004, 09:57 PM
I have a 27" RCA with Guide+ (lovin it!) and PiP that's lasted me for over 4 years now. Only problems were the sound would get really low (due to overheating) when it was on for long time during really hot days and there was one pixel that was out, so I got a new tube. Sound processor is fine now too. I got a 6 year extended Futureshop Warranty.

If you look at reviews at epinions, Circuit City and Consumer Reports, there seem to be more quality/reliabililty problems than most. Plus most sales people would say that as well, which to me is sometimes a sales ploy or bait and switch.

I am still an RCA loyal follower though. I just want to make a good judgement.
Sam's club is a warehouse form of Wal-mart, you have to pay an annual membership fee to shop there (like Cosco), they just opened 4 stores in Toronto last year.They're at www.samsclub.com

RGA
02-22-2004, 11:57 PM
Reliability is a crapshoot...check consumer reports repair histories and don't expect any new tv to last more than 7 years...if it does you're in luck.

I have a 27inch JVC that's been crap since we've had it. On blue backgrounds there would be a pink spot on one side a green one on the other - poor tinting. But it keeps going for over 14 years now. The parents bought a brand new 27 inch JVC - not a flat screen and it's good but it's noisy...now I know why people buy power conditioners which clear that up - and that's a fact.

Sony has had horrendous records on their tvs over the last several years though their picture is terrific - probably class leading. Get the extended warranty and extend it again.

Their big expensive 6-8k TVs are currently having huge bulb issues - EVERY single one will need a new bulb within two years because Sony cheaped out to get the price down...this info was from a manager ofa place that sells them. Sony is impeccable with the replacements and after service though and will replace the parts but it's a hastle.

Just because one repairman on a forum happens to see a lot of a particular brand means nothing since you're bound to get 5 times more RCA's in for repair since thery sold 25 times more than everyone else.

Matsu****a may be the current safe choice and the umbrella houses Toshiba, Panasonic and JVC.

There are no gaurantees - chances are everything is built in Malaysia or China - it's the disposable society and it's all built like crap. Some of it may be a smidge better.